WineBoard
Buying a wine for my newborn - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Buying a wine for my newborn (/thread-19746.html)

- Toolie - 08-09-2006

Hello, I wanted to buy my newborn a bottle of wine from 2005 that would keep and hopefully go up in value in say 20 years. What kind of wine should I buy? Do I have to store it a special way? Thank you.

- Innkeeper - 08-09-2006

Hi Toolie, and welcome to the Wine Board. '05s with ageability won't be won't be released for another year or two so you have some time to congetate. You will need a cool (below 70 degrees F), humid place to store the wine in where you live now, and will live over the next twenty years or so. You should get something that you like, as he/she might not like wine in general or aged out wine in particular. Of my four adult daughters only one will drink any wine and then only White Zinfandel or very sweet white wine.

Candidates in my order of preference are Vintage Port, Brunello di Montalcino, Cote Rotie/Hermitage, First or Second Growth Bordeaux, or California Cabernet Sauvignon that is not made with raisens. We don't know at this point whether any of these had a good vintage in '05.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-09-2006).]

- TheEngineer - 08-09-2006

I would agree with the above list and you do have much time before they are released. The 2003 Vintage ports arrived only about a year ago and many of the 2003 Bordeauxs have yet to arrive. 2005 was also a very anticipated year in Bordeaux and the 1st and 2nd growth wines will be very expensive (assume $100 and up for a decent 2nd growth and many times more for a 1st growth).

Personally I would go with a Vintage Port (not a tawny or a late bottle Vintage port..must be just Vintage Port). One more suggestion to add to that is a 2005 Sauternes. These tend to age pretty well and you can get a nice one for under $80 in this vintage. They will not be released for another couple of years either.

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2006

One specific possibility is the 2005 Pontet-Canet Bordeaux wine--ordering now on futures (to be delivered in a couple years) you might get a bottle for about $90. Good initial reviews (Wine Spectator rating of 95-100). Again, as IK notes, if the baby reaches adulthood without much exposure to drinking wine, an aged Bordeaux may not hit the spot. Port might be a safer way to go.

- Toolie - 08-09-2006

Thank you all so much for your input. Is there also any way of knowing the monetary value of a wine in the future? Say I bought her one to drink and one to have as an investment.

- Innkeeper - 08-09-2006

Single bottles are very difficult to dispose of at auction. That's why I said to get something you will like.

- brappy - 08-09-2006

Posted by Toolie (which I think is a cool name)....

"Thank you all so much for your input. Is there also any way of knowing the monetary value of a wine in the future?"

If we all knew that, we'd all be as weathy as Trump.......

- Thraz - 08-09-2006

It is not only a matter of selling just one bottle. Selling an aged bottle for which pristine cellaring conditions cannot be proven is next to impossible. I would personally think that you will not be able to make money on a bottle unless you build the right cellar or store it in a professional setting.

- Toolie - 08-10-2006

You've all been so helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciate it. Thank you.