WineBoard
A cheese and wine tasting party article - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: A cheese and wine tasting party article (/thread-19739.html)

- Cat - 03-01-1999

I am TRYING to write an article about hosting a wine and cheese party. The people are middle class, the wines and cheeses of varied types and textures. Not too expensive but not cheap. Could you list some wines and some cheeses that would go with them. This is a national article so it must be wines and cheeses that everyone in the U.S. has avaliable to them. Any pointers on hosting the party itself would also be appreciated.This is different from by other post so check it out also.THANK YOU!

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited 03-01-99).]

- Thomas - 03-02-1999

Cat,

I write about wine and food, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how you can write an article about a wine and cheese party without having any knowledge of the subject, and by relying on information obtained on the Internet.

- Cat - 03-02-1999

I do know a little about wine and cheeses. This is an article that also includes information from a local wine connoisseur, so I do have reliable information. However he does not have an extensive knowledge of matching wines with there cheese counterparts. I am just asking for some suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited 03-02-99).]

- Thomas - 03-03-1999

Cat,

Fatty cheeses go well with a wine to cut through them, and sometimes they pair nicely with a "fat" wine -- red or white; sharp cheeses are fabulous with rich wines like port, but sometimes even a red table wine -- as in Italian -- stands up to a sharp cheese and light, thin cheeses, in my opinion, should not be consumed.
I suppose you could take this mini-guideline and explore the tastes so that you can have a personal basis for the article, which of course gives it more credibility.

- Thomas - 03-03-1999

Cat,

Fatty cheeses go well with a wine to cut through them, and sometimes they pair nicely with a "fat" wine -- red or white; sharp cheeses are fabulous with rich wines like port, but sometimes even a red table wine -- as in Italian -- stands up to a sharp cheese and light, thin cheeses, in my opinion, should not be consumed.
I suppose you could take this mini-guideline and explore the tastes so that you can share a personal experience in the article, which of course gives it more credibility.

- Thomas - 03-03-1999

Cat,

I suppose you could take this mini-guideline and explore the tastes so that you can share a personal experience in the article, which of course gives it more credibility.

- Ron and Katie - 03-25-1999

Cat,
We have made it a point to eat cheeses while we consume wine, and have found that cheeses with high enzymes go best with red wine, and the lighter cheese, such a baby swiss and camembert, go best with chardonnays and reislings. It's all about individual tastes, find yours and enjoy....

- Randy Caparoso - 03-28-1999

Cat, are you still looking for information on very specific wine & cheese matches? I have some extensive notes collected over the years, and I'd be happy to take up (a lot of) space here if you still need it. I'll check back.