WineBoard
inherited wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: inherited wine (/thread-19736.html)

- matthewhogan - 11-06-2000

I am certainly a novice regarding wine. However I inherited a few cases of wine from a parent a few years ago. I have only recently opened them and wonder if they are any good. The majority are red wines from the Bordeux region of France from the late sixties through the late seventies. Is there somewhere I can go to look bottle by bottle and determine if these bottles are still drinkable?

- winecollector - 11-06-2000

Yeah, my house! Seriously, there is a lot to consider as to whether these wines are still any good or drinkable. Most importantly are the storage conditions the wine had all that time, as well as the vintage (year), and the name on the bottle. If the storage conditions were ideal, then you could let us know what you have, and with the many wine guru's we have here, we can probably tell you what is still good, and what is not.

- matthewhogan - 11-09-2000

The wine was stored in an underground basement, on a rack along a bearing wall for as long as I can remember. When I moved it, I stacked it the same way in my basement. Do you want me to post a list of the 50 or so bottles?

- Innkeeper - 11-09-2000

Some of our big guns are back in town, so if you have the time post 'em.

- matthewhogan - 11-29-2000

OK, here is a list:
1979 Chateau-Figeac - St Emilion
1976 Chatau Longueville - Pauillac-Medoc
1976 Chateau La Conseillante - Pomerol
1981 Chateau Gloria St. Julien
1980 Clos Du Val - Napa
1973 Chateau Timberlay - Bordeaux
1980 Chateau Talbot - Saint Julien
1980 Chateau Gruaud Larose - Saint Julien
1973 A. de Luze & Fils - Saint-Estephe
1978 Chateau Haut Batailley - Pauillac
1973 Rothschild Mouton Cadet
1974 Chateau Haut-Veyrac - Saint Emilion
1979 Chateau des Tours - Montagne Saint Emilion
1979 Chateau Clos des Jacobins - Saint Emilion
1977 Chateau Haut Bages Liberal - Pauillac
1979 Chateau La Tour Figeac - saint emilion
1977 Sichel - Medoc
1973 A. de Luze & Fils - Medoc
1977 Chateau Lascombes - margaux
1979 Chateau Lascombes - Margaux
1964 Bosca Asti Spumante

- Blue - 12-06-2000

the only from that list that I have tasted is the 1979 figeac. I inherited one from my grandfather and drank it a couple years ago. It was a little past its prime but definately still very good. That's a bottle to open on a romantic winter night with a nice meal with someone you really care about.

- winecollector - 12-11-2000

Well, I started trying to go through each of your wines individually, and found that the oldest ones, earlier than 77', are likely no good. Both of the Chateau Lascombes are probably fading at best, as this Chateau had trouble making good wine consistently in the late 70's and early 80's. Couldn't find anything on the 77' Sichel. Confirm that the 79' Latour Figeac is still most likely good, and is probably at peak, so should be drunk soon. The 77' Haut-Bages-Liberal is likely past peak, if even drinkable. All of your 79's from St Emilion I would expect to be okay, but again, I would drink them soon. The 78' Haut-Batailley is a toss-up. May have been too light and without concentration to hold up this long, but it could suprise you as well. The 80' Gruaurd-Larose, if it would have been any other year, I'd say it's without question still good, but being prior to 81', again may only be drinkable. The 80' Chateau Talbot is also an 'off' year, but as good and capable of aging as their wine normally is, it may be okay. Some good news, the 81' Chateau Gloria has hopefully aged well, and should be at peak. And last of all, the 80' Clos Du Val still has a chance of being good, especially if it is the Reserve Cabernet bottling. It too has possibly reached its peak and may be heading down the other side, but I think should still be enjoyable.

Well Matthew, since it seems you've had good storage conditions, the odds may be a little more in your favor on these than what we usually find with other inherited wines. Really, the only way to tell for sure is to open them. None of them really have any value to them, so I don't recommend trying to sell them or anything. My suggestion, is when your in the mood to try one, just go for it, because the longer you keep them, the more likely they will not be any good. I hope for your sake, that if I errored on the side of caution at all, your wines turn out to be better than what would normally be expected.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy!

- matthewhogan - 12-11-2000

Thanks to everyone for your help, looks like I need to start preparing some nice meals for my wife and to enjoy these wines. I realy appreciate the help.

- Blue - 12-15-2000

I also want to add the your bottle of '73 Mouton Cadet should go very well with a little olive oil in a tossed salad [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Blue (edited 12-15-2000).]

- winecollector - 12-16-2000

You got that right, Blue! I commend you for tactfully finding a constructive use for it!

- Blue - 12-19-2000

As I've heard many times, there is no GOOD or BAD wine, just wine that YOU like and wine that YOU don't like...well damn it, I love to drink pre seventies Mouton Cadet and I don't care if people don't like that huge surge of acidity that turns my face into Jack Nickolson's Joker, I like it and that's all that matters!!! :-)