WineBoard
So last night I ventured to... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: So last night I ventured to... (/thread-19722.html)

- goindownsouth - 08-01-2007

a very local place called Northampton Wines and Wine Cafe. Working for a law firm, we are fortunate to represent them, so supporting a client is never a bad thing.

www.northamptonwines.com

Not only do they have a wine cafe and full service restaurant, but they also retail a ton of wine, so they are really able to keep prices reasonable.

I went with two other people after work, and the first bottle we opened was a Bodegas Anadas Care 2005 ($23)... The blend of the Syrah, Tempranillo and Grenache were fantastic. A good spiciness that lingered, for sure.

The second bottle was Chateau Lamothe de Hoax ($13).. My first wine from Bordeaux, and I was floored by the clinging flavors, almost honey like. It went amazingly well with the spicy seafood appetizer we had.

The last was a Juan Gil Monastrell ($13)... Another stellar, and highly drinkable Spanish wine. A good bit less spicy than the Bodegas, but still a very, very nice way to end the evening. It paired well with the Belgian chocolate mousse that was passed around the table.

I felt the bottle prices were fair, and despite the $23 tag, I would go back there today and get the Bodegas... All of the wines were stellar though.

Just thought I would share.

- wondersofwine - 08-01-2007

Was the Bordeaux a red or white wine?

Strangely it was a white... which shows my ignorance as I thought all Bordeauxs were red...

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2007

Were those the cafe or the retail prices? Sounds like you made some nice choices.

Both, I believe. This is a wonderful place where you can walk around their retail space, pick out a bottle of wine you like - as compared to their Featured list in the Cafe - and say "I would like this one, now"... They open it, and it is a done deal. Their turnover is very high which not only keeps the stock rotating, but also allows them to keep their prices down.

I will definitely go back...SOON.

- winoweenie - 08-01-2007

Sounds very much like our hangout here in Phoenix. They charge a corkage of 8 bucks a bottle over retail when you pick from their large selection. WW

Really?

Now I may be confused about how they do things, but I believe the only corkage fee they charge is if you bring in wine from the outside to consume on the premises.

Here is the link, you tell me...

The Wine Bar is open during normal business hours from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Wine is available from our Featured Red Wine & Featured White Wine lists, which change monthly. In addition, any bottle in the shop can be purchased and enjoyed at the bar. A corkage fee of $5.00 for half bottles and $10.00 for full bottles will be charged after 6:00 p.m.

Again, I figured a corkage fee only applied to bottles brought in from the outside. I will have to ask the next time I am there...

- winoweenie - 08-01-2007

They charge a corkage as stated. It's still a whale of a savings over normal restaurant markup. WW

Duh... I guess I should have actually READ it...LOL

Still, not a bad gig.

The key is to get there right after work at 5pm and before 6pm, obviously...LOL