WineBoard
Boxed wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Boxed wines (/thread-19710.html)



- Bonita - 08-26-2002 05:29 PM

I'm quite new at this and am wondering what the overall thought is on those boxed wine? Are they the same quality as bottles? The prices seem to be quite reasonable for the quantity.


- Kcwhippet - 08-26-2002 06:34 PM

My thoughts? ----- YUCK!!!!!


- joeyz6 - 08-26-2002 09:31 PM

Hola Bonita y bienvenidos.

There's a reason boxed wine is priced so low! I am not a fan, but whatever you enjoy is right for you. You might try some boxed wine and then some bottled wine, and you'll probably notice a difference.


- Botafogo - 08-26-2002 09:39 PM

Bonita, the problem isn't the boxes, it's that the American wine industry has only used these for the worst sort of plonk. Those boxes happen to be one of the very BEST ways of packaging wines meant for immediate consumption and are used in Australia for nice stuff that we pay three times the unit cost for in bottles...

Roberto


- Innkeeper - 08-27-2002 06:21 AM

Roberto is right on. The folks in Oz are cautiously marketing good wine in boxes. It is the best packaging for ready to consume wine. It will probably be a long time before the Austalian stuff gets here because of the justified bad rap of American boxed wine.

One thing that caused to final demise (in quality) of American boxed wine was the loophole that the big guys convinced the BATF to approve a few years ago. It was the labeling "Natural Flavorings Added." This allowed producers to have as little as 10% wine in the box, with the other 90% being "Natural Flavoring." At one point you could not buy a box anywhere without this labeling. A few producers are backing away from this now.

We are still leagues away from what the Australians are doing.


- Bonita - 08-27-2002 09:15 AM

Thank you all for the reply. I'll have 2nd thoughts when I see those $7.00 boxes. I guess if it seems to good to be true it probably is. I'll stick to the real stuff.


- Kcwhippet - 08-27-2002 10:51 AM

Smart move. Now that your here, look around for a few of the wines you like, and pick from some of the recommendations you'll find.


- BrianMorris - 03-24-2012 06:11 AM

Definitely the boxed wine has same quality as bottles. You can try out Prestige Selections’ Introductory Three Set Box which allows you to choose your favorite red and white boxed wine. They are providing descent red boxed wine so you can enjoy with these wines. Visit http://www.prestigeselections.com/special-offer.html to get free shipping, free tasting notes and recipes and 100% money back satisfaction guarantee.


- winoweenie - 03-24-2012 01:09 PM

Hi Brian and welcome to the board. I'm really confused by your post. Didn't you notice that this post was made 10 years ago? Bonita may be in Siberia by now. Also noticed you joined in Dec of 11 but this is your first post. Takes a long time to gather your thoughts? Just some musings BUT WAIT.....You didn't see our advertising forum! WW