WineBoard
Summerfield (California) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Summerfield (California) (/thread-19690.html)

- On_The_Pond - 03-15-2004

My daughter is getting married in May and the caterer's house wine she is pushing is "Summerfield" (not the expensive Summerfield from Australia, but a California version from I believe St. Helena area). I've found a couple references to the California Summerfield and it seems to run about $5-6 a bottle regardless of variety (so far I've only run across a merlot and a chardonay). If I buy my own wine they charge me a $15 corkage fee. Money is an issue, but I also don't want to serve terrible wine at the reception. Has anyone run across Summerfield and have an opimion? I can't find it locally (Indiana) and need some advice as I have to commit shortly. Thanks in advance.

- Kcwhippet - 03-15-2004

Well, Summerfield isn't "terrible" wine, but it's not the best. It's one of the many brands of Golden State Vintners and usually sold only to the food service trade. If it was retail, it would probably go for about $6 or $7, but in restaurants it's usually about $20.

- wineguruchgo - 03-17-2004

Summerfield isn't the best wine out there, but it's decent.

Think of it this way. If you are having a bar then approx. 1/4 of your guests will be drinking liquor, 1/4 will be drinking wine, 1/4 will be drinking beer and 1/4 won't drink that much.

There are 60 glasses to a case of wine. Depending on how many people you are going to have, you might not go through as much as you think.

How much are they charging you for this wine? It might behoove you to upgrade a little bit because I don't think you are going to go through as much as you think you will.

- On_The_Pond - 03-17-2004

The wedding and reception are outside (this is California) in late May. The evening temperature can get down in the 50's so heat lamps will be required. The bar package offered by the caterer is only Summerfield wine, Miller High Life Beer (which I hate), and sodas at $9.00 flat fee per head. You can bring in your own wine and beer but it is on top of their per-person charge and there is a stiff corkage fee per bottle. If I go without the package they charge you the $10 corkage fee, a $200 keg setup fee, and $90 a case for soda. We anticipate about 90 attendees and the local wine seller recommends 45 bottles for a 3 1/2 hour reception. Seems like a lot to me, but that is only 5 glasses apiece over the period (of course not all drink wine). If I choose $10 wines, just the wine is $900. With decent beer I'm looking at about double their flat rate. So.....I guess what it boils down to is it worth twice the investment not to drink Summerfield wine??

- californiagirl - 03-17-2004

Night time here in may will probably be a little warmer... it's been in the mid 80's all week. So think cold drinks. But as far as the selection, honestly, I got married 3 1-2 yrs ago, and from what I remember, not too many people are paying attention to what the bar is serving, as long as it's drinkable. All eyes will be on the bride and groom. I think the house wine will be more than acceptable. It's not worth the added expense to cater in other selections. Save the money where you can.

- Kcwhippet - 03-17-2004

If need be, you can alert your wine drinking friends and they can do what I did once at a wedding about eight and a half years ago. We knew the wines weren't going to be all that great, so I brought in four bottles of our own stuff in a camera case we kept under the table. No one was the wiser.

- californiagirl - 03-17-2004

KC, seems to me that some of my dad's friends left my reception to hit the wineries. Isn't that right???

- Kcwhippet - 03-17-2004

Wasn't my fault. I didn't tell them to leave.

- wineguruchgo - 03-18-2004

On the Pond,

I'm confused.

You said "If I choose $10 wines, just the wine is $900". Yet if you are pouring $10.00 bottles x 45 bottles, I'm confused as to where you are coming up with $900.00?

- wondersofwine - 03-18-2004

Wineguru, it says if the party chooses their own wine instead of the caterer's package, they pay a $10 corkage fee--therefore 45 bottles would be $450 to purchase the wine and $450 in corkage fees. I do think 45 bottles is more than would be needed for 90 guests. Some may have only 2-3 glasses of wine and some no wine at all.

- wineguruchgo - 03-19-2004

Thanks. I was confused. I'm really surprised that the caterer is only offering one wine. More often than not they offer more of a selection.