WineBoard
New Wines to Try? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: New Wines to Try? (/thread-19678.html)

- GreggJ - 03-04-2005

Hello All,

I have been lurking for some time now and decided to make my first post.

I have developed quite an affinity for reds over the last 2 years and have tested many bottles over the last few years, about 4-5 bottles a week, with my wife. I however, seem to have boxed myself in with certain favorites and am looking for new wines to try, any and all advice is appreciated.

To date I find that I have grown quite fond of rich and jammy Zins, my favorites include anything from Rosenblum Cellars (-vitners), Tobin James (member), as well as 7 deadly Zins. Have tried others that I find good but, not great including Peachy Cannon, Bogle, Three Thieves etc. All recommended by the way.

I was wondering if anybody could point me down a new path as I have little other resources regarding wines.

I would be looking to stay under $20 a bottle as I am buying extras, to start a cellar, I have about 75 bottles currently. Also any other varietals I should be taking a longer look at? I enjoy Cabs, Petite Syrah, and Pinot but, have gone back to my standby zins, maybe I am just not buying good represtatives of these wines.

Again any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gregg

- hotwine - 03-04-2005

Welcome to the board, Gregg.

Suggest you scan down the board to the threads on specific varietals to find tasting notes (TNs) on many wines. We try to include comments about fruitiness, structure, alcohol level, price point and point of purchase to give other members tips on what to expect and where to find a given wine. Nice reds are available from WA, CA, Oregon, France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, as well as Chile, South Africa, and Argentina that all show good fruit and are reasonably priced. For a European version of a Zinfandel, look for A Mano Primativo from Italy; widely available and currently priced at about $11 in this area.

- wondersofwine - 03-04-2005

For inexpensive reds from Europe you might want to try Rosso di Montalcino wines from Italy, a basic Rioja or Crianza from Spain (mainly Tempranillo grape), Cote du Rhone, or Beaujolais-Villages (the 2002 Jadot Beaujolais-Village was nice--haven't tried the 2003). If you like Syrah/Shiraz, Australia has many that are reasonably priced. Paringa Shiraz and Wynn's Coonawarra Estate are two that come to mind, although I prefer the Wynn's Cabernet Sauvignon to the Shiraz. For under $20 Pinot Noir you might try the basic Argyle Pinot Noir from Oregon.

- GreggJ - 03-04-2005

Thank you both for your responses.

I will be heading to my LWS with these recommendations and looks like I will have some fun experimenting with some new wines.

Thanks again for your assistance.... i will post my thoughts on them as it may interest others.

Take Care.

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2005

We will be looking forward to your notes.

- stevebody - 03-10-2005

Let me throw Valpolicella into this mix. Try the Allegrini Classico, the Masi Serego Allegheri Classico, the Masi Modello della Venezia, or the Ripassos from Zenato, Boscaini, and Bertani. They're very cheerful, fruity wines, great with food, and inexpensive. And widely available!

- Kcwhippet - 03-10-2005

Nice try, Steve. Obviously you haven't been in a New Hampshire State Liquor Store.

- Georgie - 03-11-2005

Same thing around here. All I can ever find is Folonari and Bolla.

- GreggJ - 03-11-2005

Hello All,

Glad to hear all this good info keep the suggestions rolling in.

I was delayed in my trip to the Liquor Store. KC you are right most of the NH LS's do not offer a wide variety. However, they do have a large LS in Nashua, Store #69, that has a great selection and is primarilly dedicated to wine. You can check their stock online and head up if you are looking for some tax exempt goodies. if Interesed here's the link

http://nh.gov/liquor/index.shtml

Thank you all for the words of wisdom.

On my latest trip I picked up a mixed case Including:

(2) Allegrini Valpolicella Classico $12
(1) Zanato Valpolicaella Ripassa $20
(2) Deboeuf Villiages beaujolais $8
(2) Cline Zncient Vines Centra Zin $14
(1) Seghesio Sonoma Zin $16
(2) Rosenblum Richard Sauret Zin $16
(2) A Mano Primitivo

I had the pleasure of having the A Mano last night with Penne and a very rich homemade Marinara with Baby Spinach, prepared by my lovely wife. We both felt they were wonderfully paired, My houghts on the wine was overall an excellent value.

A Mano Primitivo 2002: My 2 Cents
Nose was fruity and hinted of cherries and courrant. The body was even and of Medium build. Overall, the wine was a little softer than my usual zins however, still fairly rich, and somewhat complex. It had a a wonderful mix of flavors including berries and courrant with a faint smokey finish and fairly subtle tannins. Overall, a great juice and excellent overall value thanks for the recommendation.

BTW: I this is my first true review of a wine, How'd I do, anyhting that I miss, recommendations?

I will offer feedback on my next wine adventure next Monday.

Thanks again for all the great reco's.

Have a great weekend all.

- winoweenie - 03-11-2005

Hi Gregg and my welcome to the board. Parker couldn't have done better. One thing, what was the price of the Mano?WW

- hotwine - 03-11-2005

Glad you enjoyed the A Mano. I try to keep a few on hand, since it's very versatile. Same with the Seghesio Sonoma Zin.

You don't have any turkeys on that list.... will probably enjoy them all.

You did very well indeed with the tasting note.

- GreggJ - 03-11-2005

WW

Sorry I omitted that, I picked up the A Mano for $12.

Turkey's? DO you mead Turley's? I have not had the pleasure yet but, have read good things and when I see one I will certainly pick up a few tasters...

Thanks again for all the help. It is much appreciated.

This really is alot of fun, it is like treasure hunting on a $20 per bottle budget,
You can find some real Gems amongst the rubble.

BTW, great board the contributions and flow if information is very helpfull.

- Thomas - 03-11-2005

$12 for the A Mano! Seems NH prices are higher--that wine is around $10 in NY.

Anyway, keep exploring, but do us a favor: get out of the winoweenie school of tipeeng beefor itz tu lat. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- stevebody - 03-11-2005

The A-Mano is usually about $8 here but, IMHO, worth a lot more. And, no, never had the pleasure, on my two trips to NH, of going wine shopping. I'm sorry. I'm frequently guilty of not reading the poster's place of residence. I'm glad you got the wines on that list. Ya did great! I think you'll enjoy them all, especially that Seghesio. I had that last night and it just gets better and better every vintage.

Fine review, BTW. Don't make it your last!

- Boaz Bagbag - 03-30-2005

everyone I would recommend to try Georgian wines. Back in a few years ago, you would not be able to find it in stores in US