WineBoard
Still a baby - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Still a baby (/thread-19674.html)

- bulldog_2020 - 12-08-2003

I am still a baby to wine. And like a lot of people I see wine is very intimidating. But one thing is sure; I know what I like when I taste it. I found out something else as well. When I first got into wine I started on the sweets, very sweets, like Rieslings and White Zins. I tried a harsh Merlot about a year ago and that almost took me out, however, I tried again this year and hit with things like Murphy Goode/ Merlot and Cartlidge and Browne/ Cabernet. Now I find it very hard to go back and to the White Zins for any occasion. I do not have the money to get deep yet but I can see my taste starting to develop, moreover, I am beginning to get the fever for a good New York strip and a good red Cabernet or Merlot. I wish I understood more so I could speak and relate what I feel better, but hey I am still a baby.

I am in local community theater and this week I play Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life" and I have invited about 12 adults to my house this weekend for wine and food. It will be after 10pm and will go to say 1 or 2 am. I want to serve some reds and some peppery snacks or things with caramelized onions or garlic tarts. My question is this, Can I do this and does anyone have suggestions? I am from a small, but great, southern town and have plans to start a tasting club and want to do it right, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!

- Drew - 12-08-2003

Welcome, Bulldog. Sounds like some nice red zinfandals might hit the spot as well as some field blends eg. Marrietta old vines lot 31 or 32, Reds, Cotes d'oakley. As for the zins 2001 Rancho Zabaco "Heritage Vines", Seghesio, Cline, Peachy Canyon, Campus Oaks and many others in the Zinfandal thread.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-08-2003).]

- amw5g - 12-08-2003

I'd get maybe a couple of Italian moscato d'astis, Alsacian gewurtztraminers or German Spetles, for those who like sweetish/spicey wines. These are priced very nicely, go down like juice and have a low alcohol content (good since you don't want to be the cause of impaired driving).

For middle of the road, perhaps Zin, as Drew suggested. Not a big fan myself, but I was impressed by Ravenswood (that's big Zinfandel). Or maybe some beaujolais-villages. Dare I suggest a lightly chilled 03 nouveau from a respected producer? Perhaps someone else can recommend one they've liked. These, too, are refreshing and drinkable after an evening of treading the boards.

For the real ruddy stuff, some California or Washington Cabs might fit the bill. Ch Ste Michelle, Hess Select, Mt Veeder or Columbia Crest are all approachable and cost-effective wines.

I wish I had some S. American or Italian suggestions for you, as I know they have excellent cost/quality ratios, but I'm nearly as inexperienced as you and haven't yet gotten those areas under my belt just yet.

Ah, the roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd....

-Andrew

- Innkeeper - 12-08-2003

Agree with Drew's and most of Andrew's suggestions. Next time you have have steak you might want to check one or more of the lower priced and softer Australian Cabernets. In order recommend, Jacob's Creek, Black Opal, Rosemount Estate, and Lindemans Bin 45. All are well under $10.