WineBoard
How long wine lasts in the bottle - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How long wine lasts in the bottle (/thread-19672.html)

- okvino - 06-25-2004

Good day:

I'm new to this. A friend wants to buy a bottle of wine to give her granddaughter on her 21st birthday, some 20 1/2 years from now. What kind of wine(s) in the $20 range would still be drinkable in 20 years and how should they be stored. I would appreciate any info on this topic. Thanks for reading this and/or providing any information.
okvino

- wondersofwine - 06-25-2004

Welcome to the wine board. Come back often.
Your friend might have more luck spending a little more and buying a 10-year Tawny Port ($25-$30) or a Barolo or classified growth of red Bordeaux or Hermitage, etc. Even then, except for the fortifed wines such as Port, Sherry, Madeira, its not guaranteed that the wine will be drinkable in 20 years. The wine should be store on its side (to keep the cork moist)at about 55 degrees F. with some humidity and not subjected to a lot of vibration, moving around or strong light. (I have less than ideal storage conditions myself, no wine cellar or cooling unit, so try to keep them at 70 degrees or less which means they may mature more rapidly than they would in a true cellar condition and may deteriorate sooner as well.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-25-2004).]

- Brom - 06-25-2004

"10-year Tawny Port"

Do you really think this is a wine to keep for 20 years?

- chittychattykathy - 06-25-2004

I would go with a vintage port over aged if you do port-- I suggest you buy a really nice ice wine.

- dandy_don - 06-26-2004

Wouldn't the better quality California Cabernet Sauvaigion's hold up for 20 years? They may not be "Improving" after maybe 10 but would still be drinkable and good at 20 don't you think?

Some suggestions: Cakebread, Mondovi, Franciscon

I think this a great idea

- winoweenie - 06-27-2004

Unfortunately the parameter set for spending wont buy those bottles. If you don't have proper storage i.e. dark, 65* without heavy fluctuations, and good humidity level it wont make any difference as the wine will go bad long before your daughters 21st. If you can store the wine at the price point you set the best bet would be a 2000 Bordeaux. Get some reccomendations from your wine store. WW

- thewoodman - 06-27-2004

Most people buy a wine from the vintage of the birth, not one that's currently released when the kid is born. Assuming 2003 or 2004 birthdate, you won't have any ageworthy wines to choose from for at least a couple of years.

- dandy_don - 06-27-2004

Good point. I would love to have a bottle from the year of my birth!

- Innkeeper - 06-28-2004

Just one other point of caution to add to those above. You and/or others will be going to a lot of effort for a very nice person who may not like wine when she is 21 or even 31. In my personal case I would have gone oh for four.

- oldworld - 06-30-2004

I would go with vintage port. Unless this child is growing up drinking wine, having an mushroomy, flinty bordeaux, or horse-hide-y Rhone will not be a great experience on their 21st birthday. The poor kid won't appreciate those type of flavors.
Port, or Sauternes will age well and be more appealing to a wine "newbie" on a such a special occasion.