WineBoard
expensive wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: expensive wines (/thread-19668.html)

- Angela Randazzo - 07-30-2000

I'm writing a novel about a gay vampire in the 1861's. I'd like to know the names of three or four outstanding (or very expensive) red wines that some one in that time would be enjoying. Thank you, Angela Randazzo

- tomstevenson - 07-31-2000

During this period it was customary for those who could afford it to drink the finest clarets, burgundies, ports, madeiras and sauternes when they were 20 years old or thereabouts, and vintage sherry (definitely a thing of the past) at twice that age. The very best and most expensive wines in those days would have included the following chateaux in Bordeaux: Lafite, Latour and Margaux (1847 was the best closest to 20 years old, but really too young, so 1844 would be my choice); Yquem of course for sauternes (you'll have to go with 1847, since this was the greatest vintage between 1811 and 1921); Chambertin was THE burgundy, especially amongst European royalty and aristocracy (unless someone on the Board can research an older vintage, the best I can do off the top of my head for Chambertin is 1846). More often than not Sherry was referred to as just that, without any indication of producer, on menus of those days and 1821 would be spot-on for a truly great 40 year old vintage sherry. Almost any port from the great 1840 vintage (Croft, Taylor's, Warres etc).

- Thomas - 07-31-2000

The only thing I can add to Tom's posting is that you might give a little twist to your story by mentioning that French wines began to suffer in the latter part of the decade due to a root louse invasion. Maybe the vampire noticed and became frantic as his favorite clarets became either scarce or even more expensive.

What is the outstanding feature of being a gay vampire?

- winoweenie - 07-31-2000

Foodie, Gracious Man that`s a walk in the park. His Favorite Color Is RED!!!. Winoweenie. ( Phylloxera didn`t really start till the mid-1870`s so the vampire would still have 15 or so good to great vintages to suck from.hehehe. Also , the wines from Maderia were quite in vogue as were Ports. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-31-2000).]

- Thomas - 07-31-2000

Yeah, yeah!

I believe signs of phylloxera showed up in about 1868, but nobody knew what it was. And when it did blossom in the next decade, Madeira was one of the hardest hit by the blight. Madeira had been decimated afew years earlier by oidium and was dealt an almost fatal blow by the little root bug.

I think the vampire would like this story, but only as a daytime read, as he is confined to small quarters at night, with no lights.

- Drew - 07-31-2000

This storyline sounds like one of the books written by Ann Rice.

Drew

The infamous American louse was first identified in England in 1863, which is the earliest that it is thought that Phylloxera could have started to infest French vineyards (at Chateau de Clary in Lirac, Rhone), although it was not actually verified as phylloxera in France until 1868 (by Planchard). However, as wineoweenie points out, the effects of this darned bug were not felt for some time. In fact, the combination of the time it took for Phylloxera to get established (recently affected ungrafted vines were still being replanted in first decade of the 20th century) and the considerably more mature age at which wines were consumed at the time (hence the much greater ratio of stocks to sales that were necessary) meant that there would be no noticeable affect on what our vampire friend would consume in the 1860s or, indeed, for the next three or four decades to follow.

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 07-31-2000).]

I completely overlooked the gay aspect (how more politically correct can I be?). A rosé should appeal to his feminine side and as he's partial to a drop of haemoglobin, let's make it a saignée rosé. Anyone know a saignée rosé that was famous and expensive circa 1861?

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 07-31-2000).]

- Thomas - 08-01-2000

I knew 1868 had a significance with regard to phylloxera....

My point, though, is that this is fiction, so the dates can be massaged a bit--for the sake of conflict. Let the vampire suffer a little as he sees his beloved expensive juice dry up. Perhaps it causes him to seek even more liquid in the night, and then....

I ghost-write, you know!

- Scoop - 08-01-2000

What a concept: (almost) true wine history through the palate of a 19th century first-growth-swilling gay vampire. ("I vant to drink your Latour.") How much for the movie rights? But only if Winoweenie gets a cameo -- "You call this Red Wine? Phooey...It's pink strawberry fizz water, probably La Vielle Ferme!".

Cheers,

Scoop

- mrdutton - 08-06-2000

Methinks this vampire is a bit intimidated by ghosts.......

As all the above ghost writers thicken the plot, we hear little (er, nothing) from the vampire.

What gives Angela? I, for one, would love to hear your comments on all this interesting twisting of your plot. Are you a "nom de plume" for Anne?

(By the way - all the historical information was very interesting!!)

- winoweenie - 08-06-2000

OK Guys, Circle 7/6 on your calenders. MrD`s BACK!!!WW

- Angela Randazzo - 11-04-2000

I have been totally remiss in thanking
tomstevensen, foodie, winoweenie, drew, scoop, mrdutton and other lovely folks out there for replying to my inquiry about 1860's French wines. So would it be proper to order in a restaurant - Bordeaux Chambertain 1846? Is that the full name? (playrt@pacbell.net)
I am writing a novel, Southern Charm about a gay vampire and his eccentric family. It's a campy comedy. I stopped writing the novel because I'm writing a film short. It will be the next generation to the 8 episodes we already have running on our website isoutherncharm.com. (We are going ditigal with original designer costumes, music and special effects. There is a huge potential in marketing spin offs.) We will use the new short as our pilot. Our goal for the show is a night time serial on TV. My thanks to all. Best wishes, Angela Randazzo