WineBoard
advice on budget red to store - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: advice on budget red to store (/thread-19646.html)

- rvoller - 05-05-2004

I recently went to a local vineyard and bought a bottle of red. I was told there if I wait and store the wine for a couple of years it will taste better. So im just looking at it wondering what it tastes like. This gave me an idea of visiting a wineshop/supermarket and storing several budget bottles of red (£5-7). Im curious of what the outcome will be. Im no wine expert but starting to experiment with my taste buds. Can I pick and choose any bottle of red and store or are there any general rules to follow like specific grapes/regions etc.? My favorite grapes are rioja, merlot and carbenate sauvigon/shiraz so far from my limited experience as a wine drinker and would like to mature these?. I dont want to find out after a couple of years a made the wrong mistake from my naivety. Thanks for the advice.

------------------
Roger

- winoweenie - 05-05-2004

Hi rvoller and welcome to the board. Most wines will age for a couple of years but the majority are made for current consumption and the improvement in these will be from small to negligible. You need to get to know a good wineshop owner who can help you in your experimenting. Just because it's red doesn't mean it will age aand the ones in the price range you are looking at could deteriorate. WW

- chittychattykathy - 05-05-2004

Quickie side note;
Rioja is a region in Spain not a varietal.
Tempranillo being the main varietal in Rioja's red wines, it is almost always blended with Garnacha and may also include small levels of Carignan and Graciano. A few folks are also playing around with Cab Sauv blends. Can't remember off the top of my head who, but could look it up in my tasting notes when I get back home.

I also might add that if you keep on reading the "Wine Board" the folks around here will give you plenty of red wine ideas for drinking now and for storage.

- rvoller - 05-06-2004

Thanks for the advice winoweenie and chittychattykathy your proberly right about budget wine ready for immediate consumption. How about carbenate sauvigon? How do I know what wine would improve over age if I went to a wineshop or is it down to the individual wine seller? If I turned my interest in storing more expensive wine should I just take advise from the seller?

------------------
Roger

- winoweenie - 05-06-2004

rv the place to start is with a reputable merchant. From experience he can give you guidance to the vineyards that make ageworthy wines in your price range. You must develop your own palate and knowledge to the point where you will be able to put things in your memory banks that can be recalled for reference. In other word....Practice, Practice, Practice. WW

- wondersofwine - 05-06-2004

Also, try to keep the wines stored in a cool place with some humidity so that the wines don't get "cooked" or the corks dry out. If you don't have proper conditions for storage, you might be better off buying wines ready to consume now.

- Drew - 05-07-2004

Welcome, rvoller. I think it would be fun to grab a couple of same bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, or some French Cotes du Rhone Villages in the price range you mentioned. Drink one and record your tasting notes and lay the other down for say a couple of years, pop and compare your previous note. It's not only fun but a great learning experience for very little money. BTW, did briefly travel thru Hants several years back on a two week vacation in England. Also did love Brighton which is a hop, skip and jump from you.

Drew