WineBoard
HELP!!!!!!!=-) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HELP!!!!!!!=-) (/thread-19637.html)

- sweetirish - 05-14-2001

And once again, I find myself begging for some basic help from you guys!!! I would love anyone's advice on this question, but especially am hoping to hear from cp, ww, barnesy, Drew, mrdutton, janrob and chittychattykathy, since you have all helped me out before!

After a disasterous run at red wines, I have deceided that they just arn't my game. I have thus moved on to white wines. My tastes are simple; I like sweet wine. Dessert Wine is going too far however. Let me re-clarify that statement....I do like dessert wine but am looking for something lighter to go with dinner. You will be happy to know that I have read most of the posts that have to do with this subject and found that zins and rieslings seems to be most often recommended in my case. Any suggestions of specific wines that I might like?? I keep hearing Houge Late Harvest Riesling recommended....

PS..also, off the subject, I really wanted to try a Shiraz but am thinking that it might not have enough sweetness to appeal to me. Am I right??

- cpurvis - 05-15-2001

A few thoughts Sweet: based on your comments, forget the shiraz & keep lookin' for fruit-driven reds without a lot of spice.

Some suggestions: first, awhile back Bucko came up with a red that might suit you. It's from Bonair Winery in Washington & is called Bonnie Bonair. Inexpensive & "off-dry" (somewhat sweet due to residual sugar). For info see http://bonairwine.com/releases/current.htm

Second, have you tried the Beajolais Nouveau wines or Italian frizzante red semi-sparklers? Check the Beajolais thread for ideas. MrDutton is a big fan. And Roberto can set you up with a good, reasonably priced frizzante. They are lower alcohol than typical reds, not as bubbly as champagne & intended to be consumed chilled.

Finally, count me among the Hogue Late Harvest fans. I also like Montinore Late Harvest Riesling from Oregon. However, you will get better balance of sweetness & acidity from a German auslese riesling from the Mosel area.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your results. cp

[This message has been edited by cpurvis (edited 05-14-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 05-15-2001

You might try the red wines from Sutter Home, not including their red zinfandel. It's a matter of cart before the horse. Several decades ago they made a pretty good red zin, back in the days when zin was king. Then cab deposed zin. Sutter Home then made a fortune making white zin (which is very sweet by the by). Seeing that there was a market for sweet wines, they then put out a line of reds that are slightly off dry. This includes merlot, carbernet, and others. They kept the red zin as it always was to preserve some semblance of company pide.

- barnesy - 05-15-2001

If you can find it there, its been sold out here for some time....
get the 1999 Georges Duboeuf Morgon Jean Descombes. Its a red, but its bursting with fruit. The tannin is very mellow, and there is virtually no spice.

As far as whites, I had a very nice 1999 late harvest White reisling from Erath vineyards in Oregon (visited their winery while I was in Portland). It was not the full blown syrup you sometimes get with late harvest but a lighter, fruity sweet wine. Another good selection from the winery trip is a 1999 Rexhill Reisling. Bright fruit with a nice crisp finish.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 05-15-2001

DON'T HAVE A CLUE WW

- Drew - 05-15-2001

Sweetirish, I'd like to help but somewhat like WW I only have a little clue. I think you're on track investigating those German Rieslings et al. BTW, the Hogue late harvest kinda borders on a desert wine and is very sweet.

Drew

- sweetirish - 05-15-2001

Okay...=-)...So apparently I asked a somewhat difficult question...I thought it was any easy one....

Can someone tell me where I went wrong in that question??

Thanks!

- mrdutton - 05-16-2001

I get the general impression that you are not looking for sugary wines as much as you might be looking for fruity wines ¿?.

I don't have a lot of experience with dessert wines, because I am not a great fan of sweet wines and must really stay away from things sugary.

Give white zinfandel a try and see what you think. Try Sutter Home or Corbett Canyon.

I don't have a lot of experience with Rieslings, but dry starts with Kabinett, then Spatlese Habltrocken (half dry), to sweeter Spatlese or Auslese for German Rieslings. I've tried the Riesling Kabinett from Schmit-Shone and liked it.

Also a Riesling from New Zealand Grove Mill Marlborough Riesling, Grove Mill Wine Company, Marlborough, New Zealand. I rather enjoyed this one with roast pork tenderloin.

Another suggestion for a white might be a FRENCH Chablis or a French Chardonnay vinified in stainless steel. Or try the Italian whites from Alto Adige and Friuli. These wines won't be sweet, but they are a bit fruity. Ask at your favorite local wine store for suggestions.

For fruity reds with little or at least subtle tannins, try the Jean Descombes Morgon from Georges Duboeuf. Or try the Chiroubles also produced by Georges Duboeuf. These are crus beaujolais and are made from the gamay grape. They are light bodied, full of fruit and can give one the impression that they are, therefore, sweet.

Again, check with your local wine merchant. Hope this helps somewhat.

- cpurvis - 05-16-2001

Nothin' wrong w/ the question Sweet. I simply intended to suggest that you not give up on reds just yet...there are so many options that you can't possibly have explored them all. I agree with MrD...try some more fruity reds before you give up.

A parallel personal experience story: after 18 years of infrequent, casual tasting (no reason to rush [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] )I found a beer style that I liked...I just didn't buy the "it's an acquired taste" B.S. I knew what I was lookin' for..I knew I liked the initial flavor of some beers, but disliked any bitterness in the finish. I finally found a Belgian style that suited me, then the 'holy grail'...Chimay Grande Reserve.

Keep lookin' & tastin'! cp

- chittychattykathy - 05-16-2001

Where do you live? It would help to know this. Thanks, CCK

- sweetirish - 05-17-2001

Sorry! I keep forgetting to put my location on my profile.....

Oregon!!!

=-)

- mrdutton - 05-17-2001

Try this one from Australia: McGuigan Black Label Shiraz Grenache. This is a real fruit bomb with just a slight bit of astringency.

While it is a light bodied dry red wine, you'd swear it was sweet. At least my palate feels that way.

A fair qauffer at less than $9.00 a bottle here on the U.S. east coast.

For something similar but a lot more flavorful try Bonney Doon Ca del Sol Big House Red. This one is also very full of fruit, but is much more herbal and spicy than the above mentioned drink from Oz.

- barnesy - 05-17-2001

We are getting quite the Pacific Northwest crowd here.

I will be in Portland in less than a month. Cpurvis is in Southern Oregon and CCK and Bucko are in the Seattle Area.

We're getting up there with the east coast group.

Barnesy

- chittychattykathy - 05-19-2001

Sweetirish,
Please send me you email address. CCK

- orbro - 06-04-2001

Here are a few white wines that you might wish to try:
Fetzer (California) has a nice white wine called Gewurztraminer. Has a nose and taste of peach, pineapple, jasmine and ginger.
The next two are second lables made by Williamette Valley Vineyards.
Edelweiss (Made in Oregon lable)
Semi-Sparkling Muscat (Tualatin Estates lable)
I have found these wines most refreshing.

enjoy...