WineBoard
? Sediment in White Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ? Sediment in White Wine (/thread-19623.html)

- White Wine Lover - 07-17-2004

I was recently given a case of NYS white wine I particularly like from a Hudson Valley winery, 2002 vintage. It has been appropriately stored in a wine cooling unit around 60 degrees. I just noticed, when taking a bottle out to chill more in the refrigerator, that there is noticeable sediment of some kind floating around in the bottle. This is not secondary fermentation, I know what that looks like. It looks like solid particles. I checked the rest of the bottles, and 5 of them have this. Does anyone know what this could be? The winery is quite a distance from me, but before I call them to ask, I wanted to check with the board.

Thank you!
WWL

- winoweenie - 07-17-2004

WWL more than likely these are harmless nitrates. When I used to drink SWs' it hasppened to me meeny times. WW

- White Wine Lover - 07-17-2004

WW,
What are SW's?
And are nitrates solid particles? I didn't know that...it almost looks like tiny pieces of cork.
WWL

- winoweenie - 07-18-2004

WWL...SWs' are my term for any white wine except bubblies and it means..... now done' get testy....Sissy Whites. They solidify and do look like cork...kinda'. Stand the bottle upright until all have settled on the bottom and pour carefully. WW

- White Wine Lover - 07-18-2004

Thank you, WW. No I don't take offense to "sissy whites." I'm just learning. So many wines, so little time! Maybe you can suggest some non-sissy whites, based on what I like. Which is...Pinot grigio, seyval blanc, and unoaked chards, some savignon blancs if not too sweet. And some of the Australian blends like McPherson's semillon/chard.

So when I'm ready to run with the big dogs and drink non-sissy whites, what should I try?

WWL

- wineguruchgo - 07-18-2004

Some of my favorite "non-sissy" whites are the wines from Alsace. They will have the sweetness of the wines from Germany, yet will finish dry.

Sauvignon Blancs from the Loire are also wonderful, minerally whites.

Chablis from Chablis are also great. I call them the Grace Kelly wines. So elegant and graceful. Turned my sister on to them and now she doesn't want anything else!

JMHO!

- White Wine Lover - 07-18-2004

Thank you for the rec's, wineguruchgo. What is JMHO ?

WWL

- californiagirl - 07-18-2004

jmho or imho- just my humble opinion or in my humble opinion

WW- KC said to tell you that he thinks they may be tartrates, not nitrates. Don't shoot the messenger.

We had a Vouvray last night that went very well with lobster. Slightly sweet, very fruity. Domaine Pichot 2002.

Personally, I also enjoy Pinot Blanc. Similiar to Sauvignon Blanc but with a buttery undertone.

- Thomas - 07-18-2004

Yeah, I think ww got confused. It's not nitrates it's tartrates.

Every wine includes tartaric acid in its make up. Sometimes the winemaker fails or chooses not to cold stabilize the wine before bottling. Cold stabilizing means chilling the wine to a particular temp for a particular length of time so that the tartaric acid cystals preciptate out. If it isn't done before bottling, it will happen in your refrigerator. It's harmless except for the possibility that it might lower the acid of your wine--ever so slightly.

- wondersofwine - 07-19-2004

WWL,
To WW, all whites are "sissy whites" except for sparkling wine--Champagne, etc.
I agree with Wineguruchgo recommendations. I love some of those Loire Valley (Sancerre especially) Sauvignon Blanc wines. And I'm fond of German Riesling and Scheurebe, especially wines from Mosel-Saar-Ruwer area and Rheingau. Pinot Blanc from Alsace or Oregon can be nice. I really don't find any of these to be "sissy whites" but WW is mainly a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon and the occasional Syrah/Shiraz or Pinot Noir or Zinfandel--red wines, you get the drift.

- winoweenie - 07-19-2004

Sorry there gang. This is what happens when you try answering questions under the influence of sobriety.WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- montepaulsen - 08-04-2004

Generally, if the sediment is tartrate, it will sink to the bottom. Occasionally they can form a slight frost of particles at the top, but they generally crystalize (they are indeed crystals) first on the edge of the glass (where they have material available for nucleation, which just means they need solid surfaces in order to "grow" on), and toward the bottom of the bottle (where it is cooler). Regardless of where they form, if you shake the bottle slightly, those floating on top will break the surface tension, and then sink. If they still float, they are probably not tartrates. They could be cork dust, or carton dust (empty bottles are often transported in the carton, so it is possible to get carton dust in them before they are filled).

You can also try eating the particles, if you are brave. Bite into the particles - if they are gritty and remind you of ground glass (they are not harmful, unless it really IS ground glass, which is unlikely), then it is probably tartrate. If it is chewy instead, you've got your self some sort of cork or cardboard material.

Either that, or the Sissy Wine Faeries tossed something funny into the wine vat...