WineBoard
Chilled or room temperature?? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Chilled or room temperature?? (/thread-19565.html)

- wine??? - 05-28-2000

Can someone direct me to a resource or guide on what wines are served best chilled/room temperature or something else?

Thanks,

-Geoff

- hotwine - 05-28-2000

That question has been addressed quite nicely recently; try reviewing the postings for the last week or so. Believe it was Innkeeper who had the best summary, in answer to someone else's question.

- hotwine - 05-28-2000

You'll notice in the postings that there is quite a range of opinions on the subject of the "right" temperature to serve each type of wine. In general, we chill whites and serve reds at (European) room temperature. But some are of the opinion that chilling robs whites of their subtle nuances, while others routinely also chill reds. It really comes down to being a matter of personal taste, developed through experience. My preferences are as follows:
- Riesling, Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc: chilled to refrigerator temperature, about 45 deg.
- Burgundy (both whites & reds) and Beaujolais: lightly chilled to about 55 deg.
- Bordeaux, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon: about 65 degrees.
Whatever works best for you is your right way.

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2000

You have recieved very good advice from Hotwine, the best being that you should decide for yourself. As mother and the children know, I'm perfectly happy to disrupt an entire restaurant to get it my way.

Here is the "traditional" rule of thumb. Medium and full bodied reds, 65 degrees F. Light reds (Beaujolais, Bardolino) 60 degrees F. White table wine, and rose's 55 degrees F. Bubbly wines (Champagne) and white dessert wines 45 degrees F.

Easy to say though, isn't it? How does one get to these precise temperatures, or at least in the ball park? The best way is with a wine bucket. Every home should have one. You're far better off getting it from a restaurant supply house, than one of those snotty and very expensive wine speciality places that send you catalogs and spam mail.

Fill your ice bucket with ice cubes (not crushed ice) and fill to within a few inches from the top with cold water. Plunge your bottle or bottles in and chill 5 minutes for 65 degrees; 10 minutes for 60 degrees; 15 minutes for 55 degrees; and 30 minutes for 45 degrees.

- Bucko - 05-29-2000

Man! You all like your white wines cold! I find that the flavor nuances get muted below 60-65 degrees.

Bucko

- hotwine - 05-29-2000

There you have it, Geoff. You have a ready excuse to experiment, to find your own comfort zone for each type of wine. You might try adhering to the accepted "rules" for a while, then begin to branch out and try variations of temperature with each type. It won't take you long to become as opinionated as the rest of us!

- winoweenie - 05-29-2000

Hey Bucko, Do you really drink those sissy whites? Jesting. Did you have the pleasure of attending the mgreat Mead Celebration? Talked to Jim Wallace yesterday.. Gosh am I envious.This has to rank with some of the superb wine events of all time. Winoweenie

- Bucko - 05-29-2000

I was scheduled to go to the event, but then they changed the dates -- I was out of the country at the time.

Bucko (Call me Sissy Boy)