WineBoard
I'm not sure what to do ... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I'm not sure what to do ... (/thread-19557.html)

- Georgie - 08-10-2005

when I'm out to dinner and the first thing the waiter says is, "What would you like to drink?" I know I want to order wine, but until I look at the menu and decide on the entree, I don't really know what wine I want to have. Then, there's the question of whether or not we'll get a bottle that can be shared, or just order individual glasses. I usually just say I'd like to wait and have a glass of water to start. I'm not one to have a cocktail and then wine...I always feel a little awkward. How do you people who get out more than I do handle it?

- Innkeeper - 08-10-2005

That is one way we handle it ("just a glass of water for now"). Another way is just to order a glass of your favorite quaffing wine, and then another glass, bottle or whatever with the maincourse when you order it.

- hotwine - 08-10-2005

I always tell 'em to go away until we've decided on entrees; then try to identify a wine on their winelist that will accompany both of our selections. Or order by-the-glass, if the waiter can assure me the glasses will be poured from fresh bottles.

Too often these days we've been served oxidized wines that have been open for several days. There's no excuse for that, when the price per glass is usually enough to cover the full retail price of the bottle.

When in doubt, I just order sparkling water.

- Georgie - 08-10-2005

Thanks, guys. I'm going to a VERY nice restaurant tonight and now feel better about how to answer that dreaded "first question!"

- hotwine - 08-10-2005

And we wish you a VERY nice time!

(Look out for the second question....)

- wdonovan - 08-11-2005

What VERY nice restaurant? I'm at the "beautiful ......" too. Not Nicholas, is it?

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2005

I too usually start out with water and make menu selections and study the winelist before ordering wine.

- Georgie - 08-11-2005

The restaurant is called "Moonstruck" located in Asbury Park. Very nice upscale atmosphere, great service and great food. Entrees range from about $17-$30. Contrary to habit, I was coaxed (easily done) into trying a Cosmopolitan before dinner. Oh yum. We ordered individual glasses of winewith dinner. I had a chicken dish with shitake mushrooms and gorgonzola cheese. I thought a Sauvignon Blanc might go well but they didn't have it by the glass. So the waiter suggested a Sancerre, which I'd never tried. I like it very much and thought it tasted fine with the dinner. The company was great and a good time was had by all. If you find yourself in the area, "Moonstruck" is a great place to eat.

- hotwine - 08-11-2005

You did just fine, Georgie. Sancerre is the creme de la creme of Sauvignon Blancs (in my biased opinion).

- Georgie - 08-11-2005

Well, good for me! I made a good choice! Here's where Bucko would say something about a blind pig, I think.

- jmcginley1 - 08-11-2005

Moonstruck is a great place. I have always viewed Asbury Park negatively, so I was pleasantly suprised by how good the food was there.

And as a waiter/bartender at a resturant that does a LOT (90% of our liquor is wine) of wine pouring, I want to chime in here. When I walk out to a table and someone is clearly looking at the wine list, I never try to force/pressure them into a choice then. I ask if there is a question about the list before offering the table some water until a wine is chosen.

If you ever come across a waiter that tries to hurry you into choosing a wine, tell them to buzz off. You should have the time to choose an entree, then a wine to match it. I realize most resturants don't educate their staff well enough to do this. So all you need to do is say, "I'll choose a wine AFTER I choose my entree." Any decent waiter will then know to back off.

Also, don't be afraid (especially at better restaurants) to ask for a suggestion. We(the servers) have tried all the wines many times, and should be able to pair our wine list with the food effortlessly.

- Georgie - 08-12-2005

Thanks! It was because of the waiter that I tried the Sancerre. I didn't really know what Sancerre is, so his knowledge steered me in the right direction. Asbury Park, by the way is enjoying a renaissance. You should come over and see what's happening sometime. Other great restaurants are Bistro Ole and Taka.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 08-12-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 08-12-2005).]

- wdonovan - 08-13-2005

Wife's been to Moonstruck and loved it. Never been myself. We're further south (Bayville) and our favorites right now are Slowly's and the Oilhouse, both in Toms River, both BYOBs. We can bring great wines and not pay stupid prices.

- oostexan - 08-13-2005

I am in Sales and do lots of boondogles with clients. I have a formula which I will share, free of charge. :-)

I always tell the waiter/sommelier as he hands me the wine list - "Thank you. We are going to take a few minutes to look over the menu before we decide on wine." This is typically received with a positive reaction and a "sounds great. please let me know if I can answer any questions tonight, can I bring you a cocktail/water, whatever..."

In a really nice restaurant with an extensive list, I will typically then ask for a quick overview of the list, just so he gets an opporunity to point me in any general directions that he recommends...sometimes, as he tells me "our French whites are here in the front...we have a really nice blah, blah, blah" I might ask him a couple general questions just to show that I know what I am doing, and that I plan to leverage his expertise.

Once we decide on meals, I will tell the sommelier what wines I am leaning towards, but ask him for his recommendations and input as well. Bottom line, if I am out at a very good restaurant paying primo prices for wine, I am usually going to try something new, and I am going to leveage the service of the sommelier.

I think it is important to show the sommelier that you plan to leverage his knowledge of the restaurant and to compensate him for it. That is what he is there for.

If he makes a really good recommendation, I let him know it. If not, I am less enthusiastic, but not rude. He's going to do his best, and all palates are different.

I follow the same process for after dinner wines that are paired with dessert, if we do dessert.

Thats my formula and it seems to work pretty well. The only time I do not follow this process is if I see something on the list that I absolutely know that I want to get or have been anxious to try.

Hope it helps.

- Georgie - 08-23-2005

Thank you for all of your very helpful replies!