WineBoard
Open bottle life? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Open bottle life? (/thread-19529.html)

- slvrbmw - 03-27-2007

On most evenings I have a glass of red wine, but never more than two. Unless im sharing with others, I have a lot left over. What is a good general rule of how many days the wine would still be "good", not just drinkable? I drink mostly cabs, shiraz, bordeaux, and chianti.

- wondersofwine - 03-27-2007

Welcome to the wine board silver BMW? (Or is that sliver of big, mostly wood, New World red wine?)
Many reds will hold up for two or three days if you recork and refrigerate them (putting remaining wine in a half bottle lessens the exposure to oxygen). Some Chianti wines I like better the second day--they seem to mellow out a little.) If you want the red wine near room temperature, take it out of the refrigerator 30 minutes or so before dining. Andrea Immer's wine-buying guide gives ratings on how well the wines hold up after opening (I think she grades on a letter scale such as A- or B or C.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-27-2007).]

- hotwine - 03-27-2007

Welcome to the board beamer. There are many opinions on that subject.... some say 2-3 days if re-corked in a half-bottle; some say it's possible to hold it in the orginal 750 ml bottle with a squirt of an inert gas like Private Preserve and plugging with either the original cork or a rubber stopper. I sometimes hold a red overnight with VacuVin and a rubber stopper, then stick it in the fridge, but most members of this board snort at VacuVin. Not all reds hold up well overnight under any circumstances; in my experience, Pinot Noirs and Beaujolais are the first to fall apart and cab-dominant Bordeaux the last. You'll need to experiment with various methods and wines and find out what works for you.

- Innkeeper - 03-27-2007

Agree with both the posts above regarding half bottles. If you don't have one, get one, preferably with a screw top which will last a remarkably long time. Fill it right up to the brim the first night and put in fridge for a night or two (I try to plan for two consequtive nights or one in fridge). Usually do this when wife is on a medication that prohibits alcohol. For proof of pudding see my post under the Loire Wine thread tonight.

Also agree with WOW's recommendation for Andrea Immer Robinson's "Wine Buying Guide for Everyone." We get it every year, and it is the only one with a "survivor guide" for every wine in the book (close to 1000 best sellers). It is amazing how wines will vary by brand, not just by type or region.

- PinotEnvy - 04-03-2007

I agree with the above. Instead of using half bottles though, I generally use single serving bottles. I buy one 4-pack (each is less than 200ml) and reuse those bottles. That way I can drink one glass the next night without re-exposing the 2nd night's glass to air.