WineBoard
Tyramine free wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Tyramine free wine (/thread-19506.html)

- Atlan - 08-12-2003

Hi,

As I'm allergic to Tyramine I'm looking for some Tyramine free red wines. All food tables mark that red wine has from 0 up to 2.5 mg of Tyramine so I suppose it must exist. All help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Eddy

- Thomas - 08-12-2003

That's a tough one. Since no wine labels come with nutritional or ingredient information other than sulfites and alcohol, it is virtually impossible to know which red wines are at 0 and which are not.

Do you know where, exactly, tyramine is found in grapes? skins, seeds, pulp?

- Kcwhippet - 08-12-2003

The big question is why are you allergic to tyramine? Is it because you're taking a MAO inhibitor? Are you deficient in monoamine oxidase? Tyramine is found in every aged, fermented or overripe food or drink. Whatever, my sister-in-law is taking a MAOI and must restrict her intake of foods containing tyramine. Here's a partial list of the foods and drinks she can't have.

Beer
ale
red wines (expecially Chianti)
Riesling
Port
Sherry
Vermouth
aged cheese
blue cheese
processed cheese
sour cream
yogurt
aged beef
hard sausage
fish
game meats
organ meats
salted fish
dried fish
avocados
bananas
eggplant
beans
soy products
sauerkraut
tomatoes
chocolate
caffeine (tea, coffee, colas)
yeast breads

This is just about half of the foods and drinks she can't have - there are more. She's been told she can have a maximum of four ounces of a light red wine per day - Pinot Noir, Beaujolais - if that helps.

- Thomas - 08-12-2003

So, the tyramine comes from a reaction to fermentation, processing, aging--is it tied to oxidation KC?

- Kcwhippet - 08-12-2003

Exactly. Tyramine is oxidised by mono- and diamine oxidase. If it's not oxidised, tyramine will constrict blood vessels and elevate blood pressure. It can trigger migraines. Where's Bucko when you need him. He can explain this a whole lot better than I can.

- Atlan - 08-13-2003

What I have is called a Pseudo Food Allergy as it has the same effects as a real allergy. In fact the Tyramine one way or another make my body to produce Histamine and there you have the allergy symptoms (in my case I get an obstructed noose with an immediate inflammation for about 2 days). I'm not taking any MAOI.

Eddy

- Bucko - 08-13-2003

Nope, I hated biochem. Tyramine usually causes headaches though. Only a RAST test can confirm true sensitivity I believe.

- Thomas - 08-13-2003

Out of my league here--Pseudo Food Allergy sounds like a pseudo diagnosis!

In any event, if it's oxidation, definitely stay away from wines aged in wood.

- Atlan - 08-13-2003

Seems you don't like the "pseudo". It what my doctor calls it so I'm using his terminology. I already did 2 allergy test each of them during a week and each time I proved to be very allergic to Tyramine.

Eddy

- Thomas - 08-13-2003

I had a terrible case of hives that haunted my teenage years. No doctor seemed able to help--even alergists. The tests I took had me allergic to almost every food you can imagine, which of course was intolerable--I had to eat something.

I took matters into my own hands: started on a health kick. Took multi vitamins, especially C and B complex. I did not overdo it, just started to take daily multiples; then, I started to watch what I eat, less processed foods, more fresh foods. Within a few years, my problem had vanished. I still don't know the answer, but I certainly never got one from the medical profession.

Sometimes, allergies are not what they appear to be; sometimes, it is a combination of problems, and that is a difficult thing to pin down. But yes, if a doctor told me I had a pseudo food allergy I would truly question the diagnosis--but then, I question everything I am told by experts...

Good luck on your search. I wish I could be of more help, however, it does appear you should stay away from wines that are aged, which is essentially an oxidation process.

- Bucko - 08-13-2003

***wines that are aged, which is essentially an oxidation process***

I thought that it was mainly a reductive process.

- Thomas - 08-13-2003

My dear Bucko, oxidation is part of what promotes the reduction...just like it is in humans.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-13-2003).]

- winoweenie - 08-13-2003

This old huckster will gladly rid them old aged suckers from harmin' you. WW