WineBoard
Pinot Noirs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noirs (/thread-19494.html)

- Logrus - 03-15-2005

I have tried a couple Pinot Noirs recently, a 2001 Cristom and a 2001 Cricklewood and have liked both. Does anyone have any other recommendations that are as good or better than either of these? I have been reading some of the posts here and will try to find a Russian River Valley bottle next.

- Innkeeper - 03-16-2005

Hi Log, and welcome to the Wine Board. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. When you are done with the RRV, try the Santa Rita Hills and Santa Lucia Highlands.

- winoweenie - 03-16-2005

Hi Logrus and welcome to the board. If you go to the Pinot Noir thread and click back 100 days you can get reviews of Pinots in all price ranges and styles. Find the ones that sound like your cup and have fun. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-16-2005

I'm not sure I've had the Cristom (maybe one tasting) but one Oregon Pinot Noir I tried and liked recently was the Chehalem Three Vineyards Pinot Noir (2002 I believe). Some of the 2003 vintage may not be as good as the 2002s.

- Logrus - 03-18-2005

I picked up a 2002 Maison Nicolas Reserve Pinot Noir tonight. I read a good review on a 1999 bottle of this, so I may sit on this a while. Anyone had this one before? I can't find a rating on this particular year.

- Thraz - 03-18-2005

I think in general the "reserve" wines from Nicolas are not meant to age. Also, French PN, unless it's from Burgundy, tends to be best when young.

- Logrus - 04-01-2005

OK, so I sat on it for two weeks. I popped the cork tonight and have found this PN to be rather mellow. The first thing I noticed was it had a synthetic cork. Should I judge it by that? I like the taste, it it not too dry and not overly 'strong' with aftertaste. I'm still a rookie here, so I'm going by what I feel and my personal impression. I had a bottle of Cristom about a week ago and I thought it had much more bite to it. Am I overanalyzing this, or should I look for a wine that "I" like and be happy with it? BTW, I have had the Cristom before and enjoyed it, and it came highly recommended by a friend that has been experiencing wine far longer than I have.

- Thomas - 04-02-2005

Logrus, Cristom Pinot Noir has always been a pretty good offering, but you have to remember that some vintages won't be as good as others, in many wines not just Cristom.

One producer, Duck Pond, sometimes puts out great PQR Pinot Noir; sometimes not so great. Give it a try; see what you think.

- Stone_TheWineGuy - 04-02-2005

We wanted to share this wonderful find, a 2002 Pinot Noir by D'Argenzio Winery! This has to be one of the best Pinots we have ever had the pleasure of...

Wine Details: Delicate and Soft textures, coupled with cherry berry spice and vanilla on the lips, mark the newest generation of renowned D'Argenzio Pinot Noir.

Blend: 100% Pinot Noir

Production: 258 Cases, Limited Allocation

WIne Profile: http://www.savvyconnoisseur.com/pages/search/wine_profile.asp?wid=6040

[This message has been edited by Stone_TheWineGuy (edited 04-02-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 04-02-2005

Logrus,

I know it says reserve, but it's really not. Trust me. I worked for the company.

About the wine. For the price I can't find any better. The company is huge in France and has the financial backing of the Nicolas Wineshops that are all over Paris. At last count I think there were 250 of them.

I brought this wine into one of the restaurants I bought for and it's the fastest selling wine on the list. They thought I was nuts when I brought it in, but now they are thanking me.

I, personally, buy it by the case because it's so inexpensive and good. It goes really well with chinese food in brown sauce!

I know there are a lot of better Pinots out there, but here I buy it wholesale (through the restaurant) for $47.00 per case. I can't find anything at the price to beat it.

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 04-02-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2005

In answer to Logrus's question about the synthetic cork--no, you shouldn't judge by that. Argyle is another Oregon Pinot Noir vintner that uses synthetic corks. More New Zealand producers are going to synthetics or screw caps. It avoids "cork taint" in the wine although suitability for long-term aging of the wines is not proven yet.
Logrus, which wine was it that you found mellow and not too dry? The Cricklewood? Or did you try the Nicolas that others had recommended?
Oops, in rereading one of your later posts I see that you were trying the Nicolas Pinot Noir.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-04-2005).]