WineBoard
Interested In Learning Differences between Whites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Interested In Learning Differences between Whites (/thread-19486.html)

- BaggerVa - 12-07-2003

I am entering the fine world of wines and have started a rack in my apartment. I am mainly into whites...as many reds either give me headaches and worst case nausea. I dont want to discrimiate as to my preference and was curious if there were any good "starter" reds that i might be able to wean myself onto the more tannic ones.

I think what is in my stock so far is and Eco Domani Pinot Grigio, a Yellow Tail Chardonnay, and Italian Syrah ( i cant remember the name) A red Zin..i cant remember that one either...and a Fraz(something or another $10)...

I was NOT impressed with a Pinot Grigio from Luna Di Luna...maybe i had a bad bottle.

Also, are there certain rules for the different white with different meal plans?

Looking for a good drinking wine that will impress a lady I am seeing, but not break the bank.

Any advice is good advice...thanks!

- winoweenie - 12-07-2003

Hi BaggerV and welcome to the board. Some of the easy drinking reds currently being sold are the Cline Calif Zinfandel, Echelon Central Coast Pinot Noir, and the Bogle Merlot, Petite Sirah and Cabernet. All are about 10 bucks. Good luck with the new squeeze. WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 12-07-2003

The Luna di Luna is plonk. The Ecco Domani PG, imported by Gallo and manufactured to their specifications has lately developed a hint of oak which is out of place in a PG. The Yellow Tail Chardonnay will give you a good point of reference. Go out and buy an "unoaked" or "unwooded" chardonnay from Australian, New Zealand, or the U.S. for under $10. Chill them both down and compare. If you liked the Yellow Tail better you are an oakaphile. If you liked the other better you are an oakaphobe. That is learning the differences between whites.

- MikeOliverAZ - 12-07-2003

So, I like whites from Mosel-saar, does that make me a phobe or phille?

- BaggerVa - 12-07-2003

OK guys thanks for for insight. also, have you heard of Frascati? I picked up a Fontana Candida, i have yet to try it, interested in knowing what to expect prior to opening. Moscati is the very sweet apertif stuff right? Ok, off the whites subject, i have a Ravenswood Vitners Blend Zin,...is this decent stuff? Thanks again for the words of wisdom [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 12-07-2003

Fontana Candida is an OK wine. It's a bit toward the lower end of the Frascati spectrum, but it's OK. We sell a ton of it.

- Innkeeper - 12-07-2003

Vinters Blend is a reliable wine if you don't mind wines that are vinted hot. Some people have opinions on this, but I don't.

Mike, for now it makes you a phobe.

- Marti - 12-09-2003

I am a beginner with wines, too and I am curious about what Innkeeper describes as "unoaked" or "unwooded"....how do you find one of these chardonnays? I've never seen a bottle say this on the label so is there some other key word to look for?

In terms of good whites, I love the crispy, dry taste of Sauvignon Blancs. My favorite so far is one from Australia called The Long Paddock, made by Redbank. Delicious. Only $11.

A new chardonnay I tried recently was the Shooting Star by Steele's. I thought it was very good and also only about $11.

- Innkeeper - 12-09-2003

Almost all New World Chardonnay (those regions outside of Western Europe) have anywhere from a little to far too much exposure to oak. For the more expensive ones it comes from aging in new oak barrels, and for less expensive ones it comes from exposing vats of the wine to toasted oak sawdust. Chardonnay without oak is a delicious but delicately flavored wine. The oak can and frequently becomes overpowering. Then you end up with wine that tastes more like trees than grapes. New World Chardonnay that has not been subjected to any oak is so labeled, usually as unwooded or unoaked. Sometimes there are more subtle messages on front or back labels such as "in the raw" or "unadorned."
Oaked chardonnay can be ok as a quaffer, but reacts harshly with most foods. One food you can eat with it is buttered popcorn. That's what I do when I end up with one received as a gift or in a wine club shipment.

In California, sauvignon blanc has long been subjected to oak too. The success of the mostly oak free New Zealand, Australian, and South African SB has moved several California vinters to cut back on and even eliminate the oak.

- BaggerVa - 12-09-2003

Hmm...gotta give those two a try...thanks

- BaggerVa - 12-09-2003

Whoa..looks like i jumped the gun on a reply...thanks IK...youre a lot faster than i am :-P

- Innkeeper - 12-10-2003

Bagger, are you in the military at Andrews? All three of your moderators here are vets. Bucko from the sandbox, 'er Gulf War; moi from 'Nam, and Hotwine from the Civil War or as they say in Texas "The War Between the States."

- BaggerVa - 12-10-2003

Well, yes Sir I am. Currently E-4 (Senior Airman) I guess if i can ascend the ranks on Wines.com and learn about the fine world of wines, you would have another on board...haha I actually just got stationed here...I was in Guam, and before that Terceira, Acores...mmm...green wine <drools>

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2003

That's super. It's nice to have another Airedale around here. You may find it easier to rise in the ranks around here, than where you are. They always told me to keep on serving in the miltary until it wasn't fun anymore. The fun lasted 26 years.