WineBoard
2002 Escudo Rojo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Escudo Rojo (/thread-19485.html)

- winophite - 08-01-2007

Keep in mind these ARE novice notes, not very familiar with Cab Sav.
This was a P. Rothchild wine out of Maipo Chile. 14% alc blend of Cab Sav, Carmenere & Cab Franc aged for 12 mo. in french oak after blending(so the label says)around $20.
Dark purple in the glass nearly opaque with a ruby rim. Nose rather unusual more plumish to me than anything.
An aerated sip gives the plum flavor up front, giving way to what seems to me to be some serious barnyard in the middle yeilding a dryness under the tounge. The fruit comes back in the 2 1/2 lapper finish.
An unusual drink for me having not branched out into CS yet. What are those flavors?
A strait up drink and swallow leaves the barnyard and fruit interestingly intermingled, especially an hour after opening.
Granted a novice pairing, had with an 8 hour crock pot chuck roast with potatoes, fresh grn b's, whole white onions and carrots along with fresh baked white bread.(my wife laughed last time I tried to post on her seasoning that I got wrong) The apple dumpling for dessert required a glass of water!!! although some port may have worked. I need more CS experience! WP

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2007

This is a consistly reliable wine, and you drank it at just about the right time. We usually give it the same five years. Your match was appropriate too.

The price was a little high for a current vintage, but if you bought it aged out I guess the price was OK.

- winophite - 08-02-2007

Ive been looking for another Chilean Rothchild wine a cab sav called "los cavos" (or something like that) a friend once brought to share but havn't found it. It was way less expensive. While I enjoyed this one, the price was a bit steep, it was aged already so maybe as IK said it was OK. Is the earthyness a general trait for CS?
Also I see notes on the PN thread that refer to earthyness a lot. Can I expect this in a bottle of French PN from Bourgogne by Louis Jadot 2005, and should I sit on this for a couple more years?
Thanks for your thoughts. WP

- winoweenie - 08-02-2007

Think the other Rothschild wine you're talkling about is Los Vascos. Well-made and well-priced juice. Ww

- Innkeeper - 08-02-2007

The Louis Jadot 2005 sounds like an entry level one, so should be ready to drink right away.

- wondersofwine - 08-03-2007

Good notes WP. Keep on posting.

- winophite - 08-03-2007

Ah yes, Los Vascos is it, I don't know why I can't remember that. Thanks for everyones help. It's gonna be a hot humid weekend here in good ole' IN; but it IS the weekend, and I'm not on call! Enjoyment to all. WP

- AltaJoe - 08-03-2007

Was able to find the Escudo Rojo for locally for $17. I thought it was an outstanding value at that price point.

------------------
Thank God for:
balzac-store.com
winestilsoldout.com

- Thomas - 08-04-2007

I worry about the plum description. That seems to me to point to potentially a little too much time either on the vine or in the heat.