WineBoard
Extreme Novice - need a little help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Extreme Novice - need a little help (/thread-19484.html)

- Therant - 03-05-2005

Hello all. I am very new to wine. I literally had my first taste of wine 2 weeks ago. I tried a pinot noir by Vendange. It was awful. It was very bitter and not at all what I was looking for. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a really good sweet wine? What is the sweetest inexpensive wine out there? I really hope to find a fruity sweet wine for evening drinks. A friend suggested a merlot, but I thought merlot was drier than pinot. I pretty much plan to have the wine alone, and maybe occasionally when I eat out Italian. Any help will be very appreciated.

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2005

Welcome to the board. For wine in Italian restaurants you might try Valpolicella or Lambrusco (both red fruity wines). The Lambrusco is usually made to be somewhat sweet and bubbly. Most red wines are made as dry wines, but sometimes the ripe fruit gives the impression of sweetness. Vendange is an inexpensive grocery store brand. For Pinot Noir you might look for Saintsbury Garnet to try (under $20) or Steele Carneros Pinot Noir (around $25 sometimes in the store but $18 at the winery--also sometimes available in a half-bottle, 375 ml., for under $10).
I would also suggest trying white wines--German Riesling at the Spatlese or Auslese level (Spatlese refers to grapes picked later, therefore more ripe and sweet; Auslese refers to grapes specially selected and even riper). 2003 was a very hot summer in Europe so the 2003 German wines may have more ripeness and sweetness than a normal vintage. Look for J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese or an Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese or Auslese wine . The Auslese will cost more than the Spatlese from the same producer/vineyard. You might also try a French white wine, Vouvray, made from the Chenin Blanc grape. Many Vouvrays are made with some sweetness. Some California and Washington wineries make a late harvest Riesling. These can be expensive but may be available by the half bottle. Hope this helps.

- Therant - 03-05-2005

Thank you very much for that info. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will definately give those wines a try. I think I'll even give pinot noir another try with a better brand. Thank you again for the kind guidance. You've been a wonderful help. I look forward to more great learning experiences from these boards. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Miles Raymond - 03-06-2005

Therant,

I to am a Newbie. I've been into it for a couple of months and learned a lot here. I do like Pinot Noir quite a bit. Vendange is god-awful. Don't let it sour you on Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir can be quite flavorful and tasty.

Here is a list of Pinot Noirs that I've come across that have been recommended by people here and deservedly so. They range from $10-$20 a bottle.

2002 Firesteed-Oregon
2003 Martin Grey Angeline Russian River Valley
2003 Chateau St Jean Pinot Noir-Sonoma County
2003 Frei Brothers Russian River Valley

These are the ones that have really stood out from what I've had so far. You may want to give them a try. I'm not yet to the point were I can give tasting notes. That's a ways down the road. I will say that I found all of these very tasty.

Hey look at me!! Handing out advice. WOW!!

- wineguruchgo - 03-06-2005

Haha! Good for you Miles! Feels good doesn't it!

I like Wondersofwine's advice for 1/2 bottles. Many wine shops (not grocery stores) will carry a selection of them. It's easier to be adventerous with a 1/2 bottle than a full one.

When you find a varietal you like start exploring different parts of the world. You will find that California Pinot's will taste different than those from France will taste different than those of the southern hemisphere.

The great thing about wine is that every year it's different. Even the same winery will be different because Mother Nature plays such a big role in it.

- Kcwhippet - 03-07-2005

That would be Martin Ray, Miles. Their Angeline wines are good, solid choices at about $12.

- Thomas - 03-07-2005

Gee Miles, the last time you posted on it, you called it Ray Martin--seems you have a prob with the guy [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] but Angeline defintiely is one of the good Pinot Noir bargains out there.

Therant, the best way to establish a palate for wine is to have it with food. When you do that, what seemed bitter alone can seem marvelous all of a sudden. Of course, you need to get advice on the wine and food pairing, and some restaurants are good at that.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-07-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 03-07-2005

One of the things I learned on the Wine Fundamentals DVD that I rented over the weekend is that there are three kinds of wine tasters in the world.

Super Tasters (25%), Non-Tasters(25%) and everyone else (50%).

To the Super Tasters much of the worlds wines will taste bitter because they have a heightened sense of bitterness. This goes for food also.

The Non-Tasters are unable to detect when a wine subtly changes. My brother is a non-taster.

Then there is the rest of us. I certainly fall into the rest.

If someone is a Super Taster they generally will go for the sweeter wines in the world because they physically just can't handle much else.

Maybe the Germans are Super Tasters!

- Miles Raymond - 03-07-2005

That would be Martin Ray, Miles..

Gee Miles, the last time you posted on it, you called it Ray Martin--seems you have a prob with the guy but Angeline defintiely is one of the good Pinot Noir bargains out there.

Hahahaha Oh Boy!

That's due to that fact that I was most likely well into a bottle of one when I posted!

[This message has been edited by Miles Raymond (edited 03-07-2005).]

- cheapwine - 03-07-2005

Extreme novice? go to the advertising and promotion section and check out Lost Vineyards.

- Kcwhippet - 03-07-2005

Did a search at Ad & Promo for All Topics and got zero hits. Where'd you go?

- Therant - 03-07-2005

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I've already begun to learn so much from these boards. This place is great. Thanks.