WineBoard
L'Epayrie - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: L'Epayrie (/thread-19480.html)

- onlymerlot - 06-16-2004

Live in Florida & folks from Texas just visited with L'Epayrie - French Red Table Wine from Armand Roux wineries.
Can't find it anywhere in Tampa area and would like to purchase by the case without spending a lifetime searching.

- wondersofwine - 06-16-2004

Have you tried wine-searcher.com?

- Brom - 06-17-2004

One of the wisest things said concerning a wine such as the L'Epayrie - don't want to spend a lifetime searching.

My advice would be to stop actively searching having inquired here. You have already spent plenty of time looking for this wine.

Why do I say this? You really like this wine, you want a case of it!

I am sure this was a delightful wine that could be a pleasure to drink again. You have to believe me that there are dozens, hundreds of equivalent wines that you will like just as much, if not more, than the L'Epayrie.

This is a non-vintage vin ordinaire that I have seen described in print as plonk. It is just not worth the time and effort to actively seek. If you should come across it, terrific.

I guess my point is that this is something ordinary - like convenience store orange juice. You may not be able to get Halo Farms (which you liked when visiting the Northeast) where you live, but so what?

One should always keep in mind that ambience and circumstance have much to do with the enjoyment of a wine. What you tasted was brought to you by friends who came halfway across the country. This makes any wine drink better.

Buy a case of mixed bottles. Somewhere in the 12 should be one that will make you stop longing for the one that got away.

- californiagirl - 06-17-2004

onlymerlot- Welcome!!

Have you tried going to one of your local wine shops? That's a great place to start with. They will be familiar with the distributors in your area and should be able to tell you if it is available.

- Kcwhippet - 06-17-2004

Very nice suggestion, cg. To go a bit further, onlymerlot, Sarasota is a decent market in FL, and there is good representation by distributors. If you don't see what you want, ask the wine manager of the shop to check with the distributor who would carry the wine and bring it in for you. Real wine shops (not Winn-Dixie) know who distributes which wines and can get it. L'Epayrie may not be Petrus, but it's what you liked, and it's what you want (despite Brom's disparaging words). So, go for it, and ask the wine manager of a decent wine shop in your area to order some from the distributor who carries it.

- Brom - 06-18-2004

"Brom's disparaging words"

What disparaging words?

I certainly said the wine was ordinary - is that disparaging comment on an ordinary wine?

I said I had read it described as plonk. I didn't call it plonk, but others have.

I used as an analogy convenience store orange juice - a serviceable product of which there are many brands.

I acknowldged that the poster liked the wine and stated clearly it would be terrific if they happened to find some more.

I said it wasn't worth spending anymore time in seeking out this wine, which the poster had already said, albeit to a lesser degree.

I said that if instead of waiting to buy a case of L'Epayrie the poster instead bought a case of mixed wine he/she would likely find a wine they liked better.

The poster has stated he/she has already looked all over their city and is now making internet inquiries. At least three people have attempted to assist the poster. This is a lot of work for a $5 French NV.

Do you advise the poster to seek out a case of this wine?

Do you think it is bad advice to suggest to someone interested in wine that they try different wines?

Do you disagree that the poster not only could, but will find wines more palatable than the l'Epayrie?

What I wrote was my good advice backed with reasoned comment and seasoned with encouragment, not "disparaging words".

- Brom - 06-18-2004

Further, what you acclaim as "good advice" ie., 'check your local wine shops', ignores the fact that the poster already said the wine could not be found in the Tampa area.

Now if the poster lives in Orlando, or if, living in Tampa, what was checked were the local hardware stores, then it might be good advice. I doubt these are the circumstances.

Fact, I'll make a general comment - if someone is writing to a wine board asking if anyone can help them locate a wine, they have already tried to obtain said wine at their local shops, and if they could obtain same there, they would not be writing here.

The good news is, this allows me to believe that your "disparaging words" comment was made based on the same level of cognition that allows you to believe that the subject advice was good.

- onlymerlot - 06-18-2004

Dear Brom,
Every word in your initial reply back to me was taken exactly as you intended...and I thank you. None of your comments were inappropriate or discouraging....they were well received.

As a matter of fact, I will take your suggestion and look for others. I failed to mention that my relatives that brought the L'Epayrie said that it apparently had significantly less tannic acid which was appealing..don't know if that's true but then I became further interested when I heard it was so inexpensive -- given the amount of merlot I enjoy!

If you can suggest some specific, appropriate alternatives, I will take your advice and leave L'Epayri behind....
Here's to you..Cheer's to you.
Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend.