WineBoard
Need a nice Red - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need a nice Red (/thread-19462.html)

- RedWhite&Drink - 02-07-2003

Hello all. I'm new here, just surfing and found this site. Looks good.

I'm having dinner with my gf tomorrow night and I need a nice red to bring. We usually drink white, but we've changed to red the past month. I'd like to surprise her with a great tasting wine.

She plans on making filet mignon with shiitake mushrooms...or something like that. Any suggestions appreciated! Thx

Jim

- wondersofwine - 02-07-2003

Welcome to the board. Come back often.
A California cabernet sauvignon or Australian cab, shiraz or red blend would go nicely with filet mignon. Perhaps a Robert Mondavi cab--'94 or '97 if you can find them. The '99s are a bit young yet and '98 was not a good vintage (although there are exceptions). Chateau Montelena is another nice California cab (but pricey). For Australians you might look for Rosemount Hill of Gold Mudgee Shiraz or one from Lindeman or Penfold's.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-07-2003).]

Well, I posted before reading the archives, my apologies.

I came across a couple.

Columbia Crest Grand Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Rosemount Hill of Gold

Can I still find these? Is this a sound choice?

Thanks

- Auburnwine - 02-07-2003

They are readily available and would be quite satisfactory. Under the Hill of Gold label are both a Shiraz and a Cab which will meet your needs. Check the Australia thread for more ideas on Shiraz. Many will complement your steak.

- Innkeeper - 02-07-2003

For a little less coin and a little more accessabilty than the HOG, look for Bleasdale 'Mulberry Tree' Cabernet Sauvignon, and for even less, their Cabernet/Shiraz blend. Both would be wonderful.

Thanks for the replies.

I want to spend around $12-14 a bottle, since I'm getting two. One for dinner, the other for the hot tub.

This is great site and I learned a wealth of information reading old posts.

I'll let you all know which I choose and how the night went. Thanks again.

Have a nice weekend.

- wondersofwine - 02-07-2003

Since it's a dinner and hot tub with your girlfriend, maybe you had better hold back on the specifics of how the night went--just tell us what you thought of the wine. And a further tip, the wines we are recommending may be high in alcohol (compared say to most German rieslings) so don't overindulge. Most girls or women don't care for sloppy drunks, but a winedrinking sophisticate is splendid!

- hotwine - 02-07-2003

Who's shloppy? Can't be anybody around here....(hic)

- Drew - 02-07-2003

To hell with the wine....I want to know the specifics of how the night went!!!!!

Drew

- Thomas - 02-07-2003

Hey Redwhite&drink, for that second bottle, go Port--look for a nice Late Bottled Vintage like Niepoort or Offley. The hot tub will take second fiddle--but do tell us how it all turns out!!!

- winoweenie - 02-08-2003

SHEESH!!! Ignore the LECHERS RW&D. If you have time you can E-me the particulars, WW

- winedope1 - 02-08-2003

Gee- look at these posts I missed cause I went to bed early!! You guys are really actin' fresh- must be the weekend?? Please report wine info only, unless you're getting engaged or some such. Enjoy your wine adventures. WD

- RedWhite&Drink - 02-10-2003

Well, I decided on the 2000 Columbia Crest Grand Estate. EXCELLENT! I really liked it. I was wondering if it was aged longer if it would have been better. Nonetheless, my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It went perfect with a freshly cut filet stuffed with gorgonzola cheese and topped with some sort of balsamic vinaigrette. A side of garlic roasted potatoes and for an appetizer: spinach leaf salad with gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, carmelized onions and penchetta with a rice wine vinegar and oil dressing.

We (well, mostly myslef) finished the first bottle midway through the meal. The second we saved for the hot tub. It included all the right ingredients, steamy hot water and an aphrodisiac. I'll let you use your imaginations for details.

You're right, the wine was definitely stronger than I thought. Overall great night, and the wine was right on point! Thank you all for such great advice. I think I'll stick around here, read, and maybe call on your expertise for this Friday, Valentine's Day.

Regards,
Jim

- Thomas - 02-10-2003

One of the truths I stumbled upon years ago is that sparkling wine seems to like strawberries--forget the chocolate for Valentine's Day; get a great sparkler and some large, juicy straws...

- winedope1 - 02-10-2003

although it pains me to say this because I am such a chocaholic, I gotta agree, Foodie. Can't seem to beat that combination! WD

[This message has been edited by winedope1 (edited 02-10-2003).]

- ShortWiner - 02-11-2003

Bubbly is nice, but I gotta say I'm a little hooked at the moment on the Banyuls & chocolate combo that Foodie steered me towards this weekend. Truly felicitous alchemy, and certainly a good dose of romantic potential. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 02-11-2003).]

- Thomas - 02-11-2003

shortwiner, goes to show you how many variations on pleasure we have at our disposal...

- ShortWiner - 02-11-2003

Indeed. We are fortunate people, to be living in a time when such an incredible variety of intensely pleasurable wine is so readily available. Let's toast to that!

-Matt