WineBoard
Pinot Noir vs Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir vs Merlot (/thread-19461.html)

- vivace - 11-07-2002

Please compare these two reds and recommend which may be preferred with Filet of Beef and
roasted potatoes and why?

- wondersofwine - 11-07-2002

Hi Vivace, welcome to the board. I'm not always fond of merlot as a varietal (usually prefer it in a Bordeaux-like blended wine) so my choice with filet of beef would be a cabernet sauvignon most of the time. However, Merlot may be preferable to Pinot Noir for this pairing. Merlot is usually a relatively soft wine (low on tannins) with suggestions of dark plums. Pinot Noir often reminds of red fruits--cherries, raspberries, etc. although it can remind of dark fruits in some styles and vintages. Pinot Noir is the grape variety in red Burgundies and as such is used with beef in Beef Bourgignon dishes. It is also a nice pairing with grilled salmon or with duck, Cornish hen and game birds. I don't think it complements a simple beef filet as well as a Bordeaux or the principal grape varieties used in Bordeaux--cabernet sauvignon and merlot.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-07-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 11-07-2002

Agree with WOW. You can, though, have a pinot; preferably a highly extracted pinot with a fillet steak if you cover it with a sauce like this:

SAUCE BOURGUIGNONNE: (Adapted from Mirelle Johnston's "The Cuisine of the Rose")

1/2 lb Crimini mushrooms sliced (caps only)
2 tbl Light olive oil
1 Carrot peeled and diced
1 Onion peeled and diced
2 tbl Butter
1 tbl Tomato paste
1 tbl Dijon mustard
1 tbl Bacon bits
1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp Ground cloves
1/4 tsp Course ground pepper
2 C + 2 tbl Pinot Noir (e.g. Turning Leaf for cooking)
1 tbl Flour
1 Additional tbl butter
Fine herbs

Cook mushrooms in oil in heavy saucepan until soft. Remove to bowl with slotted spoon. Add two tablespoons butter and cook carrot and
onion till soft. Add tomato paste, mustard, bacon bits, seasonings, and two cups wine. Cook down for 20 minutes to reduce close to half. Puree sauce in blender or food processor, and return to pan. Combine flour with two tablespoons of wine and add to sauce. Simmer for five minutes to cook flour. Add mushrooms and additional tablespoon of butter, and stir till butter melts. Pour over steak and sprinkle with fine herbs.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-07-2002).]

- Glass_A_Day - 11-07-2002

No offense to new posters but....

It seems that there are a ton of new members with only one post asking a question that is worded like it is straight off a reasearch assignment. After it is answered, these people seem to vanish. I'm new too and don't want to upset anyone, but there does seem to be a trend of late. WW said somthing about a post like this a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else notice this?

- Innkeeper - 11-07-2002

You're right GAD. When something is blantantly a homework assignment, we tend to tell the poster how to do the research. When it is not blatant, we give them the benefit of the doubt.

on the subject of one time posters, you're right, there are many, many of them. Usually they are new or casual wine drinkers, who only need an answer to one question. Many people visit the Board regularly and never post, just learn. One time posters could also fall into that category.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-07-2002

True. Just seemed to be a trend in the last couple of weeks. Oh well, like you say, you have to give the benefit of the doubt.

- Thomas - 11-07-2002

Glass-A-Day. I agree with your assessment. Lately, I evaluate the question before answering it. My time is truly valuable and I refuse to waste it on someone else's class assignment.

But what really makes me crazy are those people who ask a question, do not like the answer and so they fade into oblivion (likely thinking we are idiots).

- hhhanson - 11-07-2002

OK, OK, I think I just got reprimanded. I've posted 2 times in the past month, and drop by every once in a while in lurk mode. But I learn a lot and very much appreciate the content found in these pages. I started on my wine kick after a trip to Napa last year, and now I'm just learning as much as I can. I guess I'll start posting more, and at least responding with a note of thanks for answers that are given.

Harry

- Innkeeper - 11-08-2002

Glad to have you around Harry, even if you're just lurking. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- vivace - 11-08-2002

Thank you to Wondersofwine & Innkeeper for your responses. I am a relatively new meeting planner that needed to finalize menus for a very high level executive dinner. Some of the executives attending are very well-versed in wines. I would be grateful for any advice regarding research sources-but in this instance I really wanted an expert opinion and I needed it right away.
So please know that I respect your time and your response was very much appreciated.
I enjoy trying different wines, and have been to a few tastings & winery tours, but am really just beginning to learn about wines. If you wish to offer any advice regarding how to best research for the future - I am open for your suggestions. Thank you again for your time.

- wondersofwine - 11-08-2002

You are welcome, Vivace. Sounds to me like
a legitimate question. For further research you might look at some basic wine information books such as "Wine for Dummies" or Andrea Immer's "Great Wines Made Simple."
One of the best and most entertaining forms of research is to sample as many types of wine as you can being observant and taking notes if possible.