WineBoard
bit of help...... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: bit of help...... (/thread-19452.html)

- njjchiro - 12-30-2003

Thanks to IK,KC,Drew and WW for the help and rec's concerning my last post on Stags Leap Fay.

By far my favorite wine so far is Cab. Sauv. but here's my question......what wine can I buy that would be a way to taste a big wine with ageing potential "young" without breaking my bank and, can you give me a rec on a great wine that is ready now to compare it with, again without breaking the bank.

My gut tells me it's impossible without diving into my savings account.....but if anyone knows it would be the TEAM here!

Thanks

- wondersofwine - 12-30-2003

Winoweenie is our cab expert. One suggestion would be Robert Mondavi Napa Cabernet Sauvignon (not the Coastal series and not the reserve which gets into the expensive area). The '97 or '99 or '01 (if released) would give you an idea of the young wine. You might be able to find on the Internet or from the winery a "library" vintage such as '94 or older for comparison.
Beaulieu Vineyards is another possibility although some of their wines in recent years have had TCA problems.

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2003

Agree with WOW. I'm not sure if you want to taste an older wine with a current vintage from the same producer, or if you want a wine you can buy two bottles of now, try one, and lay the other down. One you can do the latter with is Chateau Les Fiefs de Lagrange. This is the second label of Chateau Lagrange a "Third Growth" Bordeaux from St Julien. St Juliens are primarily cabernet sauvignon. Les Fiefs with run you $15 or less per bottle. If can pick up two 2000's you could try one now, make notes, and have the second on in '08 or '09. Then compare your notes. You could repeat the process with other wines every year, so each year in the future there would be something new and something old. As you mature in your wine drinking and your success in life, you could eventually buy cases of wine that can mature, and try a bottle every couple of years until you feel it is maxed, and then finish the case.

- Brom - 12-30-2003

The impression I have is that njjchiro wants to compare an ageable wine to an already aged one, as opposed to buying two bottles now and referring to his notes in 8 0r 10 years.

In that case, with the two caveats that you are a cab drinker and don't want to spend too much (I don't know what 'breaks your bank'), I would suggest you to look into Beringer wines. Very commonplace.

You can find 8 year old vintages of the Reserve or for a lot less you can do the same with Knight's Valley. Yes, there are '95's out there.

No, the KV is not meant for long term aging, but I would think it will last 8 years in about the same condition as the Les Fiefs.

Innkeeper would you agree? The Les Fiefs is not really a long term ager either, a wine that shows best drunk within a decade.

It really does depend on your bank. Aged Bordeaux are always available. To compare and contrast to the current vintage is just a matter of forking over the green.

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2003

Agree. But Les Fiefs does hold for eight or nine years with no problem usually.

- winoweenie - 12-30-2003

I agree with all of the above and think I may have posted on the 94 Knights Valley in the last few months. Another IMHO Napa wine that gives tremendous bang-for-the-buck is Markham Napa. I'm sending a bottle of the Napa 94 to Flingur Lake-i-poo with the rest of the 94s'. Rite now it's showing in the top 10 with both barrels blazin'.WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2003

Opened a mag of the 1996 Beringer KV for Christmas dinner (among others - many others). It was very well received.

- njjchiro - 12-31-2003

thanks to all for the information. The oldest wine I've had thus far is a "99" Shafer (at a tasting)loved it but didn't spring for the $55 price.

I am off to find some of the wines suggested. By the way, I thought that I saw that KCWHIPPET is a merchant in the Framingham area. KC, if I'm correct Framing ham is only 20 min. from me and if you are so inclined I'd like to come and meet with you and have you give me a hand with my quest.

I don't know if I'm out of line making this sort of request, if so please accept my appology.

- Kcwhippet - 12-31-2003

njjchiro,

We'd love to help you. Stop on by Warehouse Wines. It's at 575 Worcester Turnpike (Rt. 9) in Framingham at the intersection of Prospect St. That's between Edgell Rd. and Rt. 126 on the westbound side. Just before you get to Prospect, there's a strip mall with Staples, Trader Joe's and Ruby Tuesdays. We're in the next strip with Starbucks and Whole Foods Market. Ask for Bob (not Bob the owner - I'm the other Bob). I'm on today from 4 to 9 and Saturday from 4 to 10. See ya.

- njjchiro - 12-31-2003

Thanks KC.......will be seeing you soon!!!!

Nick

- Drew - 12-31-2003

Also would add the Single Vineyard Cabs of Gallo, Frei, Barelli Creek, Stephani. Current release Frei is '97 and can still put my hands on '95 and '96. All can be had for under $25, in my parts, and drink 2 times+ their price compared to other Calif. Cabs...a lot of bang for the buck.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-31-2003

Great info Drew. I keep forgetting these marvel;ous bottles. WW