WineBoard
I know nothing and would like to know - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I know nothing and would like to know (/thread-19439.html)

- azaleabell - 05-16-2005

I discovered in my collection a bottle of Jordan Carbernet Sauvignon, 1987, and I am just curious what it might be worth, if anything, or if it is even still drinkable? I know nothing about wine, but I am eager to learn.

- winoweenie - 05-17-2005

Hi A-Bell and welcome to the board. Unless this bottle has had pristine storage it's doubtful it's survived the journey. Tom Jordans' wines have always been vinified to be consumed on release and, therefore, have been a favorite on restaurant wine lists since his initial release in 1976. Invite some wine-loving friends over, cross your fingers and pop that sucker. <Mite get lucky. Cheers. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-17-2005).]

- azaleabell - 05-17-2005

Thank you for your help. I'll crack her open and hope for the best.

- Zinner - 05-17-2005

I'd give it better odds than that. I've had some older Jordan Cabernets, including a tasting of 10 or so vintages at the winery. When we did the 10, only a couple seemed a mite tired. And some were quite wonderful. I'd have to find my notes to tell you which ones though. Am a bit tired and fuzzy brained tonight.

Hope you enjoy your bottle.

- azaleabell - 05-18-2005

I guess my best bet is to just give it a whirl. Will I know immediately if it is bad? Will the uneducated and inexperienced palate know the difference?

- winoweenie - 05-18-2005

Simle. If you like it, it's good. If you don't, it's bad. WW

- Zinner - 05-18-2005

You may or may not know exactly why, but you'll know if you like it or not.

The only thing I'd suggest is to pour it and don't be put off if you don't like the first taste. Sometimes wines get better as they have a chance to get air and open up.

Have a sip of the wine alone. Then try it with some food. Perhaps you might want to open it with a steak or chop. Something simple (Probably mushroom sauce would be good but nothing wildly spicy or hot that would kill the flavor of the wine). Preferably you might open it with someone else around and you can compare opinions. Enjoy.

- azaleabell - 05-19-2005

I opened it and it was quite good. I was a little nervous because the top of the cork was very dry, and the bottom was spongy. Then it made a popping splash, and disappeared into the bottle. Still, I'm a brave soul, and poured a glass anyway. It smelled lovely, so I was adventurous and took a sip. It was very smooth, and slightly spicy-not at all what I had expected. After it had a while to breathe, I enjoyed a couple of glasses. Thank you all for your knowledge and advice. I am sure I will be back.

[This message has been edited by azaleabell (edited 05-19-2005).]