WineBoard
How to handle an unfinished bottle of wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How to handle an unfinished bottle of wine? (/thread-19330.html)

- SN - 06-06-2000

I would like to know:

How to handle and keep a bottle of red or white wine which has been opened & not finished?

How long can they stay 'drinkable'?

At what temperature should it be kept?

Thanks for your help.

- winoweenie - 06-06-2000

SN , Did you miss an I? I don`t have a clue as the only bottle I haven`t finished after opening was a Jean-Marie during the spring of the black-snow. I bought one of the first cans of Private Preserve in 94 and it still has 100 shots left. You can try this. Buy a can of PR and put the bottle in the fridge.Wouldn`t bet my last bottle Stony Hill it`ll work Winoweenie

- mrdutton - 06-06-2000

If you search all of the message topics in this forum, you should find many answers to your question.

I think one of the best is:

Find a small container that will hold the wine that is left-over to the point were the container is virtually over-flowing. Cap the container with a cork or plug so that some of the wine does spill out.

This way, you will have NO air bubble in the container.

Store the container in your refrigerator. When you are ready to drink it again, remove the container and let it warm-up to the desired drinking temperature, depending on whether or not it is red or white wine.

You can store your wine this way for about 5 to 7 days. But I would not store it much longer than this, that is for sure.

The key point here is to keep oxygen away from the wine. When wine oxydizes, it degrades quickly and can soon turn into a good salad dressing vinegar.

I hope this answer helps you.........

- Drew - 06-06-2000

Some cable cooking shows have broached the subject of converting left over wine to vinegar to be used in salad dressing and cooking. I really paid no attention to that segment in the show. MrD, could you explain the process? (I've got this 97' Fleur du Cap merlot, could'nt find the 96' that Innkeeper recommended, that needs a transformation... it's really bad!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 06-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 06-06-2000).]

- mrdutton - 06-06-2000

Acutally, I was being a bit facetious. I've never made vinegar, per se.

It is not as easy as just leaving the wine out to sit and turn into acetic acid. You need a starter in the form of a particular bacteria.

I've sent you some information via e-mail.

- winoweenie - 06-07-2000

Drew and MrD, It`s a very sinple process to make great vinegar. You need two small oak casks ( sold mail order by Dean & D and most other wine accessorie shops in Napa ). RThese are like oak barrels used in aging fine RED wine. Next comes the most important part...Find a friend who will give you a piece of his " Mother " culture. This is what converts wine to vinegar. You can make both red and white. I`ve had my red zin vinegar going for over 10 years. Bowing to pressure from my wife, 2 years ago I started (GASP) a WHITE wine vinegar cask. Depending on the quality of wine you put in, jes like computers, is the quality of vinegar you make. This post is earnest. Winoweenie

- mrdutton - 06-07-2000

Winoweenie, that is the jist of what I sent to Drew in a private e-mail. Thanks!

I don't have any friend's who have MOTHER cultures, but there are plenty of sources for the bacteria. I think the local beer making supply store here in Virginia Beach carrys it. The culture required is: acetobacter bacteria.

For anyone's information a good source for vinegar making supplies might be: The Alternative Beverage (1-800-BREW) catalog.

It all sounds very interesting and I just might try it. I think it would be neat to make some homemade salad dressings using my homemade vinegar!

- winoweenie - 06-07-2000

MrD , I can assure you that after the first year of making your own wine vinegar you`ll never buy again. I`ve two different reds, a zinfandel and a cab. The depth and structure is incredible. Only the top-flight ( !0-20 yr. old ) balsamics compare to the home-grown suckers. My original Mother was graciously given to me by Dr. Jay Lenenburg I think 12-15 years ago. Go for it . BUT, When the mother needs feeding, give her something good.Winoweenie

- Wallace - 06-13-2000

Another suggestion for storing opened wine is to freeze it. Don't knock it until you've tried it friends. Just don't thaw it in a the microwave.

Winoweenie is right in that good left over wine makes better vinegar than you'll ever buy at the store. But good mothers are hard to find. BTW - Wood barrels are not required. Glass carboys work just fine.

- Casta - 06-13-2000

I bought a few spanish boots (triple z) on a trip to spain and have found that they are pretty good for storing and keeping the wine. You can release any air using pressure.

Personally, I hardly ever go without finishing a bottle - it is too hard to accomplish - and I would also agree that it is probably the best you can do.

- winoweenie - 06-14-2000

Wallace, you`re right on the fact that you can use glass containers to make vinegar. However, it`s the same as aging good reds, the lil` oak barrels impart that certain something that does finish it off. Winoweenie