WineBoard
Beaujolais - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Beaujolais (/thread-19317.html)

- klschwarz - 01-06-2002

My mother in law introduced me to Beaujolais Nouveaux and I am having trouble finding more. I liked the three I tried including Berringer, George Deboeuf (sp?) and Louis Jadot. My two part question includes, are they still selling this and where? Second, I understand that there is a wine called Beaujolais, but how do I know that it's not a BN that someone is trying to sell? There was a 2000 Louis Jadot at Costco, but I wasn't sure if it is still good - I am sure they sold it last year.

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Innkeeper - 01-07-2002

Hi KL, and welcome to the Wine Board. 2001 Beaujolais Nouveau will be available for the next few months. However, you should forget it after the end of this month. It is made to be consumed very fresh. It fades fast. Beaujolais, or what I call plain ole Beaujolais, is a much better crafted wine that lasts a couple of years. The 2000 that you saw should be fine. You will also see Beaujolais Villages. This is wine made from grapes from a more select area than plain ole, and makes a wine with more body and lifespan; up to three or four years.

All three versions of Beaujolais will have their names clearly on the bottle: Beaujolais Nouveau, Beaujolais, and Beaujolais Villages. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-07-2002).]

- Bucko - 01-07-2002

This is member 5000 - congrats!

- Innkeeper - 01-07-2002

Now, if we just knew how to contact he or she.

- klschwarz - 01-07-2002

Thanks for the information, Innkeeper - that really clears things up!

I am thrilled to be the 5000th member of your board!

Kimberly

- barnesy - 01-07-2002

klswarz,

The 2000 beaujolais from Jadot is a very nice bottling, especially for the costco bucks. (purchased a bottle from them myself.)

Beaujolais is a wonderful wine, especially at its cru (upper level). Look for such ones as Morgon, Moulin a Vent, Fleurie. Beaujolais is a region in France and these are specific villages in that region.

On a side note. The beringer is not technically a beaujolais. Since beaujolais is from that region of france, its the real McCoy. The Beringer, being a californican, is made from a grape that may or may not be related to the one grown in the Beaujolais region (Gamay, sometimes called Gamay Noir in the US).

Enjoy the beaujolais and keep coming back here!

Barnesy

- klschwarz - 01-07-2002

Barnsey - thanks for the information!

You used the word "cru" and I looked it up and found out it means growth, but I was curious how it applied to your post. Can you teach a newbie?

Kimberly

- Innkeeper - 01-07-2002

Sorry, was just trying to keep things simple. However, puuuuuuuulease provide us your e-mail address. We would like to reward you for being our 5000th member.

- barnesy - 01-08-2002

It basically means from an area of extra distinction. Beaujolais is good, but a cru level beaujolais from say, Morgon, will be special. The system is even more stratified in other areas of france. In Burgundy, for instance, they have premier cru and grand cru which get down to specific vineyards that have been classified by the wine laws as superior. I hope this helps with explanation. If not, let me know and I'll try to get you a better description, if more lengthy. Or someone else may have a simpler way of saying it.

Barnesy