WineBoard
shelf life - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: shelf life (/thread-19311.html)

- aria - 01-10-2000

once you open champagne, how long is it good for? and is there anyway to extend its shelf life?

- tomstevenson - 01-11-2000

I assume that you do not mean how long it should remain in drinkable condition if unopened, which is the usual connotation of shelf-life, but instead you are asking how could its drinkable condition be extended once opened. Because of gas loss, the preservation of an opened Champagne is a bit more complex than that of an unopened still wine. What the two have in common is that colder themperature it is stored at, the longer it will last in a recongnisable condition (providing you do not go to freezing or below, that is). The colder the temperature, the slower the gas is released, but it will dissipate quicker than most of the aromatics in a still or sparkling wine (which is why the fruit will eventually seem to have been stripped from the wine). The only way to prevent that is [i.] to reseal the bottle, [ii.] reduce the amount of air-space, and [iii.] replace the air with CO2 at an equal pressure to that in the Champagne. There are some devices sold to preserve sparkling wines by pumping air into the bottle to make the air-space equal in pressure to that in the fizzy wine, but this not only does not work (because the CO2 pressure in the air-space is hardly effected, thus the CO2 in the wine continues to escape) it actually forces an increase in the rate of oxidation! Theoretically the cheapest way would be to pour the Champagne into a screwtop bottle and seal it with as little air-space as possible, but in practice the bubbling up is such that you lose more gas in the process that you would save.

- Thomas - 01-11-2000

Far be it from me to try to explain further what Tom S. says about Champagne, but it seems to me that in my years of drinking the stuff I have found no good way to preserve it to suit my taste. I suppose you could pour the balance into a seltzer bottle and then shoot it with a CO2 cartridge, but then without knowing the pressure still remaining in the wine, you might blow the bottle open in the process.

One of the true drawbacks to trying to preserve Champagne after it has been opened is that as the CO2 dissipates, the wine's acidity comes forward, and that can be "distasteful."

- aria - 01-11-2000

I read or heard somewhere recently, cant think of where, that you could recap a champagne with a balloon and that would be somewhat effective. Any opinions?

- Bucko - 01-11-2000

That is what Tom does, except he uses latex gloves. His place looks like a dairy.....

Bucko

- tomstevenson - 01-12-2000

Best laugh of the night Bucko. I can now disconnect, power down and enjoy a good glass of Champagne (if it doesn't keep slipping out the damn latex gloves).