WineBoard
Cheap Merlots or Pinot Noirs for the Beginner? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cheap Merlots or Pinot Noirs for the Beginner? (/thread-19290.html)

- red_hydrangea - 03-30-2008

Hi guys!

I just discovered this site, and wow! You guys are really, really informative. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I am a complete and total novice, so please be gentle with me [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I love cheap red wine. I know, I know, it's kind of gauche, but I'm just out of college and I'm on a tight budget, and I like to enjoy a cheap, robust red--like a cab sauvignon or a zinfandel. I've run the gamut of Sutter Home, Beringer, Little Penguin, Yellowtail, Barefoot Cellars, Turning Leaf, Bella Sera--you get the picture. The middle-shelf stuff. I enjoy a good cheap robust red, if it doesn't break the bank.

I'm looking to explore other cheap reds. I'd like to try a Shiraz every now and then, but the Yellowtail one is just too syrupy and vanilla-y for me. I also haven't found very many cheap Merlots or Pinot Noirs that I like. I am a rank amateur, but I do know that Merlot tends to be softer than the more robust reds. However, the cheap Merlots all seem to be really mushy and blah. I've also found that cheap Pinot Noirs don't really do much for me.

Does anyone have an under-$10 recommendation for a cheapy merlot or cheapy pinot noir that doesn't suck? I'd like to get a new appreciation for other (value-priced) reds.

- hotwine - 03-30-2008

Welcome to the board, Red.

You don't specify your location... but if you have a World Market in your area, you'll find they have a good selection of cheap wines, esp. from Italy, Spain and Portugal. For starters, try a Grenache (Garnacha) from Spain and a Chianti Classico from Italy; the former is usually $10 or less, although the Chianti Classico might be closer to $20 (and Costco is the best mass-market source for those). Also try Sam's Wholesae Club for cheap Spanish and Italian reds.

When you make a purchase, plan a meal around the wine. Look here under Wine and Food for ideas on pairings. Personally, we don't use wine as a cocktail, as seems to be quite common; rather we always have it with foods, even if it's just snacks. And pairing a wine with an appropriiate menu can make all the difference in your perceptions.

Enjoy, and let us know what works and doesn't work for you.

- dananne - 03-30-2008

In my opinion, it's far easier to find a decent cheapie Merlot than a cheapie Pinot. You don't have to look much farther than Washington State -- Merlots from Chateau St. Michelle, Snoqualmie, and Columbia Crest are all below $10, reliable, and good options. For Pinot, my favorites at or below $15 are A by Acacia and Queen of Hearts, both from California. Another, A to Z from Oregon, seems more up-and-down from year to year.

I do have to admit that most lower-priced Pinots lack varietal characteristics and/or are pretty grim. Therefore, I've basically replaced the low-end Pinots in my cellar with 2005 Beaujolais Cru and Villages. They tend to work with the same foods, and they are great when the weather gets warmer.

- wondersofwine - 03-31-2008

In addition to the above suggestions you might try Mark West or Echelon Pinot Noir, Jacob's Creek or better yet, if you can find it, Paringa Shiraz. A basic Tempranillo wine from Spain can be a good value. These should fall in the $10 to $20 range.

- WinePrincess - 04-02-2008

Hi,

I agree, it is really hard to find great, inexpensive pinot's. I know of a great 2005 halcyon Pinot Noir and it is $17.50. It is really, really good! The Grapes are imported from Corsica and the wine is from Napa Valley,CA. You can't find it in store's it is only available online. Let me know if you want more info.

There is also a GREAT Merlot that is $15.50.
I think the wine is alot better because it is produced by smaller winery's that don't mass produce the wine's and so the quality is excellent since they really take their time on them.

Also, If you use a lead free crystal decanter for your red's (about an hour or two)..it makes a HUGE difference in the taste [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] and..if you didn't already know this..NEVER buy a red and come straight home, open it and drink! Uncork it and let it breathe at least an hour! Red's need to breathe alot before drinking [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- zenda2 - 04-02-2008

Welcome! Let me suggest a few bargain red wines that I buy over and over - they're usually less than $12 locally, some as low as $6 when I catch a sale. None of these may 'wow' the experts, but I never regret buying/drinking them.

Laurel Glen REDS and Terra Rosa malbec
Jadot or Louis Tete Beaujolais-Villages
Cru Beaujolais (Fleurie, Morgon, etc...)
Tiziano or Placido Chianti
Bogle 'Old Vines' zinfandel
Goats Do Roam
Guigal or Perrin Reserve Cotes du Rhone
Rosenbloom 'Vintners Cuvee' Zinfandel
Alamos or Trapiche Malbec
Hedges C-M-S
Borsao Tinto
A Mano Primitivo
Falesco Vitiano
Francis Coppola 'Rosso'
Mairetta Old Vine red

"Party reds" = quite inexpensive but tasty
Woodbridge zinfandel
La Ville Ferme rouge
Rosemont diamond shiraz/grenache
Delicato Shiraz
Cuvee du Pena

You'll notice a lot of red blends above. That's no coinkydink. Most good winemakers can make a tasty blend at a reasonable price.

I'm not a big merlot drinker - but I buy Christian Mouix merlot (Bordeaux) Columbia Crest 'Grand Estates' and Bogle merlot to keep on hand for my friends who are.
The best value I can find in Pinot Noir is Latour, Drohin and Jadot Bourgogne (rouge) - which is 'generic' burgundy made of Pinot Noir. Tasty, and you avoid a lot of the 'Sideways' pinot frenzy.

- Pixie1016 - 04-02-2008

Hi Red,

I, too am new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading the postings and advice. Now I am going to be bold and recommend a wine for you. I really enjoy the Bogle Petite Syrah. I usually find it in most store at between $10-15 so it's not a budget buster. I consider it one of my go-to favorites. I enjoy for everyday but also would serve to guests. In fact it was one of several bottles we offered our guests on New Years Eve. It was hit and worked well the lamb dish we served.

I also like Wingnuts Zinfindel. I just tried it at a restaurant near my house that is known for their extensive wine list. I loved the taste of it and have since bought a couple of bottles. I think I paid around $11.00 for each bottle at World Market.

Good luck with your explorations!

- TheEngineer - 04-02-2008

Great choice in the Bogle there Pixie! That is a nice "robust" (as Red_H put it) wine for a great price. Hard to beat a Petite Syrah for robustness and pretty much any Bogle is a solid wine.

Nice post there Pixie and keep them coming!

- winoweenie - 04-02-2008

Wine Princess your post looks suspicially like an ad to my tired old eyes. If, indeed, you are plugging these products the post needs to be under the Advertisinf/Promo thread. No slip-ins are allowed on the board. WW

- red_hydrangea - 04-03-2008

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for your great suggestions. I haven't had a chance to look through them all yet, but I'm definitely encouraged. I'll let you know if I can find any of these locally and if they pique my interest!

Thank again!

- WinePrincess - 04-03-2008

I was just responding to the post. She had asked if anyone knew of good pinot's or merlot's I was just simply stating my favorite's..and that they are very good quality for the price. I do have an ad where it should be..but I was unaware that I am not allowed to answer other people's question's or give advice. sorry.

- Innkeeper - 04-03-2008

Hi Princess you are allowed and encouraged to answer other people's qestions or other posts. The only time this is a problem is when you only recommend wines you have an interest it. Just immagine if everybody did that! Lot's of folks who post here are ITB.

- winophite - 04-03-2008

The original question...inexpensive merlots. or pinots... try Smoking Loon PN pretty good for around $10.00 .

Yes I'm ITB, the business of good drink! And hey, it's all good, (to somebody)!!! Many thanks to those of you, regulars and newbies, who post, as near as I can tell, for the fun of it. THANKS. I've learned a lot. WP