WineBoard
what's the most you spent on a bottle? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: what's the most you spent on a bottle? (/thread-19248.html)

Pages: 1 2

- vinesugar - 03-02-2004

I try to keep my spending to $20 and under for a bottle however, I always seem to find something that temps me above and beyond that.

The most damage I've done thus far was:
$150 - 1999 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Reserve - I went down like gold. I would easily buy iy again too!

I also drop about $130 in Paris for a bottle of Louis Roederer Cristal 96. I wanted to see what the hype was about - it was tasty too, I can't argue it. Buttery and smooth...

- MontereyRick - 03-02-2004

Wonders...

Restaurants on The Monterey Peninsula??? That's a tough one as I only have so much time to respond and there is more great dining per square mile around here than most anywhere I've been. If my wife told me she had a babysitter for the kids and we were going to any of the following, I'm always a happy camper.

For Italian, I'd recommend...
Mondo's (Carmel)
Cafe Napoli (Carmel)
Joe Rombi's (Pacific Grove)

Mediterranean Cuisine (Various)
Fandango (Pacific Grove, very good wine list)
Casanova's (Carmel with Great Wine List)
Marinus @ Bernardus Winery/Lodge (Carmel Valley ... very pricey)
Peppoli's (Spanish Bay Resort in Pebble Beach)

Steaks and Seafood
The Whaling Station (Cannery Row in Monterey)
Stillwater Bar & Grill (Pebble Beach Lodge over looking the 18th Green and Stillwater Cove)
The Chophouse (Carmel)

Honesly, I could go on and on and on but you can't go wrong with any of the above.

- wondersofwine - 03-02-2004

Thanks, Monterey Rick.
I think Whaling Station and Pebble Beach Lodge are the only ones I've been to of those you list. I was thinking the place we ate at Pebble Beach was called the XVIII Hole--don't know if that is the same as the Bar and Grill or separate but I think it was less formal than the main dining room.

- Innkeeper - 03-02-2004

Good to hear from you again Rick. We were looking for a current post from you before our last whirlwind trip out there in January. We were looking for current advice, but had a great time any way. Went to Rio Grill in Carmel for the first time, and thought it was tops. While there we enjoyed our first Galante Vineyards, Rancho Galante, Carmel Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon. It was fantastic with the complex steak dish we had there.

Wonders..

If you are talking about The Lodge at Pebble Beach, you are undoubtedly speaking of Club XIX (Club 19), however, it doesn't jibe with your "less formal" description. Club XIX is one of the fanciest restaurants (along with The French Poodle, The Covey, etc.) in the area. Club XIX is, IMO, too expensive/fancy for even the average anniversary. It has to be a 10th, 25th, etc. You know you're in an expensive restaurant when you not only have a main waiter, a water boy, a bread guy, a sommellier, etc, but one waiter's sole responsibility is to sell you (then shave) truffles at "market price".

Club XIX is quite an experience, but overpriced IMO. Jackets Required.

See here for more on restaurants at PB Lodge. For the "less formal", it wouldn't surprise me if you meant The Tap room which is just upstaris from Club XIX. http://www.pebblebeach.com/2a3.html

Inn..
glad you enjoyed yourself and sorry I wasn't around to give some local knowledge...

Rio Grille (Carmel Valley) and Montrio (Monterey), and Tarpy's Roadhouse (Salinas/Monterey highway) are owned by the same people and provide very good food. I was very close to mentioning these to Wonders but figured I'd already gone on long enough.

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2004

I have been to Tarpy's Roadhouse several times and I may have had lunch once at Rio Grill. Montrio has been through various owners and I think the last time I dined there it was called something else. Club XIX it was. Lunch overlooking the course. I may have been in the Tap Room on another occasion and confused the two visits. Also ate at French Poodle on my last visit in 2002 but didn't come away all that impressed. One of my favorites is Anton and Michel in Carmel. Also like Will's Fargo in Carmel Valley but like the Whaling Station, the meals tend to be too large.
Next visit I will try to include Fandango's or Casanova's.

- daffy - 08-15-2007

Hi,

The most expensive bottle of wine I have bought was at a Club called Crystal Club in London.

It was a Vintage Cristal Champagne for £45,000. But that was obviously way way overpriced and I was also pretty drunk to note!!...

But not drunk and through retail would be around £160 on a Bordeaux.

My father collects wine but couldn't say his most expensive bottle.

Duncan

- AltaJoe - 08-16-2007

+/- $100 a couple of times on an Amarone.

But, my strike zone is under $30. And, unless its something I deem special (like a Pesquera) its under $20.

[This message has been edited by AltaJoe (edited 08-16-2007).]

- wineguruchgo - 08-16-2007

Once a year I will treat myself to a bottle of my favorite wine in the whole world.

Bienvenue Batard Montrachet at approx. $165.00 per bottle.

This past year I sold my house so I treated myself to a few.

Being that they are Grand Cru Burgundy's they will last for years in my nifty little wine fridges.

I recently spent $85.00 on a single vineyard Amarone as a gift.

I also found a 97' Chateau Margaux (not the best vintage, but wanted to try a first growth) for $125.00.

For everyday consumption I'm in the under $20.00 catagory. Very, very seldom do I go under $10.00. It's just not worth it.

- wondersofwine - 08-17-2007

Wineguru,
Do you go for a particular Domaine in that vineyard?

- wineguruchgo - 08-17-2007

Because this parcel of land is only 9 acres the choices are pretty limited.

I first realized how extraordinary this wine was in 2001 when I was on a "field trip" courtesy of Louis Latour. I actually chose this wine over Corton Charlemagne.

My recent purchases are Jadot and they are incredible.

Who knew Chardonnay could be so good? This wine makes my toes curl!

My goal, before I die, is to try all of the worlds greatest wines at least once.

I've had a few, but I have a long way to go and it's a great journey!