WineBoard
Selling Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1982 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Selling Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1982 (/thread-1924.html)

- Kirstin W. Pace - 10-24-2000

I am interested in selling my bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1982 and would like to know it's value. It is in good condition and has been stored somewhat properly. I saw a large bottle of it on one of the TV auction shows and that particular bottle was worth $5,000! I would appreciate someone giving me an education on the worth of this bottle.
Thank you, Kirstin W. Pace

- barnesy - 10-24-2000

You may wish to mention the actual volume of the bottle 750ml, 1.5l etc. And you may want to describe what you mean by "somewhat" properly stored. That will save the guys who know about the wine from asking you.

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 10-24-2000).]

- Kirstin W. Pace - 10-24-2000

I just learned some things from another site: The ullage is between the top shoulder and low neck. The label condition is "Good", a couple tiny little tears, and the capsule condition is "Intact" though the foil is a little nicked here and there. The bottle size is 750ml. I've stored the bottle on a wine rack, rotating it every once and a while. It hasn't experienced extreme temperatures but has not been in a wine cellar or a temperture/humidity controlled environment. I hope this helps someone's evaluation of this bottle.
Thanks again, Kirstin

- mrdutton - 10-24-2000

Oh dear, not properly stored in the wine cellar? That is a problem. How long has the wine not been stored at the proper temperature and humidity? The aging process is accelerated at higher temperatures. ( Mid 50's with a relative humidity of about 70 to 80 percent, with stress on keeping the temperature and humidity stable.)

Selling single bottles of wine can be very difficult, especially those smaller than a magnum. Selling a wine to a serious collector/drinker, even a wine from an impeccable source, without good provenance is even more difficult.

- winoweenie - 10-24-2000

Kirsten, welcome to the board. Hate to dash your dreams of riches, gold-mines, or Pirate treasures, but single bottles of ANY 750ml bottle of wine, even from as storied vintage as the 82 and from one opf the best producers of Bordeaux as Mouton, Doubt my lovely if the wine would bring 100 bucks at auction. I`m one of the most optimistic of bidders at auctions and don`t think I`d go for more. Sorry. Hate to tell that to a Colorado lass from the Ft. area. Lived in Denver for 18 yrs. winoweenie

- Kirstin W. Pace - 10-25-2000

Thanks to everyone that replied! I think I'll just pop the cork and enjoy!
The Colorado Lass (Kirstin)

- winoweenie - 10-25-2000

Way to go Kirsten Lassie! Get your significant other and pop the cork on that sucker. Hopefully it`s as good as some of the ones I`ve been blessed to have enjoyed. winoweenie