WineBoard
Storing Porto after it's opened - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Storing Porto after it's opened (/thread-19226.html)

- Puccino - 11-13-2002

With the help of this board and other sources, my comfort level and knowledge of wine has increased nicely, but I must confess that until last night I had never tried Port (I guess it is called Porto?). I remember feeling this naive once upon a time with wine, so please forgive my lack of knowledge with this.

I researched some past threads here re: Port and found some discussion in 2001 about how long Port(o) remains drinkable after opening. Maybe a week or two weeks? It also mentioned tawny Port? What is that? All I know is that my wife picked me up a bottle of 1985 Porto (from Portugal), and that's all I know off the top of my head. We opened it last night (honestly didn't even know how to open the thing - how crazy is that?? Had the cork screw ready just in case!) and it was excellent!!
What do I do with it now? You mean I have to drink it all very soon?? Ah, nuts! I can imagine worse things!

Thanks for any input,
Puccino
(By the way, winoweenie, I've noticed a few mentions of OK from time to time - makes me a tad misty-eyed as my wife and I are both from there!)

- Bucko - 11-13-2002

Okay, stay calm, a nice man in a white suit will be along soon to help you into the paddy wagon........ living in Paris and missing Okrahoma? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

NormanBornBucko

- Auburnwine - 11-13-2002

Last night we finished a De Bortoli Show Muscat (second cousin of a porto) that we had corked and kept in the refrigerator for a week and a half. It remained absolutely luscious (think "liquid pralines"), with no hint of decline.

Someone more experienced than me could suggest a maximum length for retention, but I would imagine that your porto would keep for that length of time and perhaps longer.

Oh yes. Having the Muscat a bit cooler than room temperature was pleasant and interesting.

- wondersofwine - 11-13-2002

If I remember correctly from a lecture (and tasting of Ports) at the Pinehurst Wine Festival, ruby port is bottled with less age than tawny port. They could be from the same grapes but spend different periods of time in barrel. I prefer the tawny ports. Your 1985 port is a vintage port (not all ports carry a vintage year and are usually blended from several vintages). A vintage designation is an indication of quality already and 1985 was considered a good vintage, although I have seen on another wine forum that some 1985s are not holding up as well as others. (I think Graham was one that was holding well.)
I like ports and usually celebrate New Year's Eve with port instead of champagne (this year a 10-year old Cockburn Tawny Port). But I find it hard to describe the aromas and tastes of Port. Need to read some more reviews and practice I guess.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-13-2002).]

- Bucko - 11-13-2002

BTW, being a major Port fan, a Tawny Port keeps well at room temp for at least a month. Ruby Ports and Vintage Ports will keep a couple of weeks if you keep them in the fridge, especially if you gas them.

- Puccino - 11-14-2002

Thanks to all of you for the insight. Especially glad to hear that the '85 might be considered a good year. We had a little more of it last night - it had not been refrigerated, but was left out on the buffet and it still tasted very good. Maybe we'll stick it in the icebox today and see how it changes for tonite.

Bucko, Norman born? An avid Sooner fan? Have to confess that I'm an Aggie (OSU), but am an equal-opportunity fan, unless they are playing each other!

- joeyz6 - 11-14-2002

Hi Puccino,
I don't have much to add as far as the longevity of your wine is concerned, but as for the French ... 'porto' is the French word for 'port.' The word 'port' wouldn't sound right in French, as you can guess.

- Thomas - 11-15-2002

ferme la port!