WineBoard
GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! (/thread-19194.html)

- nyladywino - 04-20-2006

Hello everybody: would love to share a great experience with you. Living in NYC I do not have a lot of time to shop around for wine, therefore I purchase wine off the internet quite often. planetofwine.com is a wine site I recently found through winesearcher. This site not only had very unique wine on it, but the customer service was beyond my expectations. I was not sure about an item, sent an email and within the hour received a phone call from the owner who took the time to talk to me about two different wines I was interested in. I placed the order and two days later received the wine (actually drinking one of the selections now, Summers Cabernet "Andriana's) Love the wine, way to go Keith looking forward to more of your recommendations!

Olga/NYC

- Thomas - 04-21-2006

You live in NY City, one of the most varied markets in the world that provides access to almost every type of wine (and food) imaginable, and you shop online?

I simply can't get my brain around that concept.

- winoweenie - 04-21-2006

He mite also add he was the proprietor of a fabulous wine store in the city. WW

- Bucko - 04-21-2006

Not so cleverly worded spam.

- Thomas - 04-21-2006

That's what I thought Bucko, but benefit of the doubt???

Only someone who doesn't know NY City would be afraid to shop there. You can't spit without hitting a good wine or food store--and if you do spit, be sure not to hit a resident...

- nyladywino - 04-22-2006

Hey, just saw a couple messages about NYC. Fair enough if you live outside NYC and dont work crazy hours like people here do. Just something to understand about this lifestyle: yes, we have great restaurants, night life and fabulous wine shops. What you do not realize is the aspect of time in NYC. You can speak to most any NYC wine merchant they will attest to what I am about to tell you. I do go to my neighbored wine shop when I have time but is that any different than what I am doing online? MOST people who buy wine in the city, find a wine shop that they trust and simply call up with how many bottles they want and have them delivered. As much wine as my friends and I drink, we rarely actually go to the wine shop. Call, tell how many bottles we want and price range, within hours it is delivered. How different is that. At least when I am shopping through different websites it forces me to actually shop around. Now, if anyone who actually LIVES in NYC wants to dispute that (wine geeks excluded, I just like to drink it), all others who do not live in the city, Join us you’ll see! :-)

- Thomas - 04-22-2006

Right on. You tell those non-New Yorkers a thing or two.

Me, I grew up in Brooklyn and then ran a wine shop in the East Village and, oh, I teach wine classes at Cooper Union College, too. One of my greatest enjoyments in NY City is walking and I can't think of a better walk than the one to a wine or food shop.

But if it is so easy to phone a wine shop in the city, which it sometimes is, then again I wonder: why shop online?

- TheEngineer - 04-22-2006

I spend a lot of time in NY and work crazy hours too. (I just spent the last 49 hours awake...just took a 2 hour nap). Yet I still find time to go shopping for wine... whether is a quick 5 minute stop at a wine store or a Saturday/Sunday afternoon 20 minute stop once every two weeks, or via online, or now my local pusher knowing what I may be interested in a saving me a few bottles....I find that I do close to 95% of my wine shopping in person....it does not take long....a few minutes in transit...and I do it all over the world... For me, its part of the experience.

Can you clarify if you are working for a firm or if you are an unbiased fan of a certain place?

[This message has been edited by TheEngII (edited 04-22-2006).]