WineBoard
Just saying hello - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Just saying hello (/thread-19140.html)

- Cadell - 08-31-2001

Been reading your friendly board here for a couple of days.(will have to reread most of it a few times due to informational overload and my minds refusal to accept any more data)

I must say, it's like a good book I've had a hard time not putting it away...lol...anyway I've really just gotten into wine in the last year or so, and have stuck for the most part to Merlot and Zin's, from Sonoma,Dry Creek,Lodi...so far a 97 Zin from Lucas in Lodi has been my favorite Zin but I've read about some other wines here that I am eager to try.(yes, yes, I know depends on food as well, but I do enjoy it without food as well)

It is actually amusing, and I don't say this to be rude or stereotype wine enthusiasts( I can't stand being stereotyped but I guess it's been a concious decision I've placed myself into)but do to my looks, which fit somewhere into most peoples minds as a biker or "rebellish rock-n-roll" type. I enjoy the looks of confusion on the faces or waiters, bartenders and even wineshop workers/owners when I order/buy a bottle/glass of wine when they assume I'll be ordering colt 45 in a can...lol

Anyway just wanted to say hello, introduce myself, and say WOW what a great crowd of people. It really is great to see a group willing to share knowledge and experience to help educate those willing to learn rather than feeling they need to keep it to themselves for whatever reason. I really appreciate it.

C

p.s. Just got done reading the thread on how many members there are, and I must say that I will spend more time lurking than posting...at least til I feel I can speak without having to do it around my foot.

[This message has been edited by Cadell (edited 08-31-2001).]

- cpurvis - 08-31-2001

C, welcome to the Board. Glad you're findin' the discussions helpful. Most of us here continue to learn & amuse ourselves through the postings. Enjoy! cp

- winoweenie - 08-31-2001

Hi Cadell and welcome to our cozy lil' group of malcontents. The tenor of this board has been predicated by the late, great wine writer Jerry Mead who was one of the founders of this band of merry misfits. Jerry dint' cotton to wine snobbery in enny way, shape or bottle. Guess he slapped enuf' sense into us that we remembered the parameters. It is unique in the cyber-wine biz. I get a stomach-ache when I visit most boards. Whom-so-ebber, we'uns have fun, drink lots, lie occasionally, and share lots of experiences. Velcome aboard! WW

- Cadell - 09-01-2001

Thanks for the welcome you two, and how is it down in my home yet still slightly overheated state of AZ WW?

I do have a question though, I know I read a thread in here on how to remove the labels from bottles(being new I kind of want to start a journal and place the labels on the pages so that I can notate what my likes and dislikes are, and do it without totally tearing the labels )anyway I can't find it now under search and the topic was actually something else that lead to the conversation so if any can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

- Thomas - 09-01-2001

I don't remember everything we said in that label-removing topic of old, but generally, if the labels are self-adhesive they will not come off, at leats not in one piece. If they are regular "rag" paper labels all you need do is soak the bottle in water for a while and they will slide off.

As an aside: it seems many of us start out in wine by saving labels for journals; I think I still have my old book in the attic. But after a few years of wine consumption it becomes clear to anyone serious about drinking the stuff that there is too much wine and not enough time to soak and save labels, which is why this board is fun: if we forget something about a wine someone on the board is sure to give us the answer.

- Cadell - 09-01-2001

Yes, I can see where that would become a bit of a time consuming process.....still am going to start a journal, just because I have a hard time remembering the different names and vineyards...later as I become a little more experienced with them I will probably stop, but for now an overwhelmed mind and senses need it.

- Jackie - 09-18-2001

Cadell,

Yours is the kind of message that makes it all worthwhile. Thank you for posting your thoughts about our board. We are SO in agreement.

Jackie

WW - Jerry would be smiling.

- winoweenie - 09-18-2001

Jackie. Never read a post without a thought about what Curmy would've thot crossing what passes as my mind. Thankee. WW

- lizardbrains - 09-18-2001

Cadell,
I'm new with wines, too. And I've also started a wine journal. I intended to remove the labels, but found it much too frustrating. And then I came across the bottles with plastic-wrap labels - how on earth would one remove that in one piece, and put it in a journal? Anyways, too much of a pain for me.

I really am just writing to say hi, and you're not alone! :-) I'm thinking that this journey of wine-learning is going to be a fun and never-ending learning experience.

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 09-18-2001).]

- Tom 1960 - 09-19-2001

Cadell,I just want to add my 2 cents and like you have only recently have become really interested in learning more about wines. The guys on this board are very helpful and can provide you with a real education. I've sampled some of the suggestions made and really have to say that I haven't tasted a bad wine recommendation. Welcome to the group!