WineBoard
Are cheaper wines no good?* - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Are cheaper wines no good?* (/thread-19127.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Deputy - 02-10-2006

Yes, unfortunately, BC is one of the most expensive places to buy wine. BC wines are actually cheaper in other provinces half the time.

Brappy, what do you mean by double decant?

- TheEngineer - 02-10-2006

There use to be a poster here by the name of Capocheny (are you still lurking?) and he had some good ideas on how to acquire wine (but they generally involved a short flight into Alberta....) You may want to search his posts. Of course, the Southern boarder is not too far away either.

- Deputy - 02-10-2006

It's true that the border's not far, but after 48 hours down there, I'm still only able to bring two bottles back. After that, duty is basically 100% markup. A real shame.

AB is a good way to go, actually. A friend of mine works at a wine shop in Calgary, so I might be able to get her to bring some good stuff back for me. Good idea.

- TheEngineer - 02-10-2006

That's what I thought too, but I have been since informed that:

You are allowed to bring back 2 bottles DUTY FREE.

You can bring back as much as is reasonable (Not a truckful but a few cases should be ok). Just declare them and they can put taxes on them. But the taxes are so low, they generally don't want to spend the time on the paperwork. Taxes are higher for spirits though.

When you cross the boarder, just be upfront and tell them what you have. they will most likely just waive you through. Of course, you may want to confirm this at the boarder before you cross too but this is what I've read on other posts.

- robr - 02-10-2006

Wow Dep,

15 bottles. That should take you about, what, a week to get through? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Let us know what you like!

- Deputy - 02-10-2006

Eng, from what I can find, wine has about a 122% surcharge over the limit.

This page: http://gocanada.about.com/od/tobaccoalcohol/a/smokesbooze.htm

has a good breakdown.

Ie. 3x$10US bottles. First 2 are free. Third bottle has an upcharge of approximately 122%, so that third $10US bottle will cost approximately an extra $14CAD to bring in. Putting it at a total of about $26 after exchange.

Hard liquor is subject to a 254% increase. Bad idea.

That's assuming the about.com site is accurate in its duties. I couldn't find a breakdown of duties on the Canada Border Services Agency site quickly.

I would really like to find a complete list of duties so that I can make informed decisions when returning to Canada, though. I wish the CBSA would offer such information readily.

- brappy - 02-11-2006

Deputy,

Double decant = Pouring into a decanter and pouring again right back in the bottle.

I do this to many of the young wines I taste. Not all young wines need this but the mouvedre by Juan Gil seems to. I tried it both ways. Just poured it in a glass upon opening and tasted for awhile. It seemed to be having a hard time expressing itself, so I double decanted. The wine opened up, the tannins softened and I enjoyed.

I also sometimes do this when My wife and I and maybe a couple of guests open up too many bottle for the limited number of decanters i have (4). Of course, sometimes I'm just lazy and don't want to wash more than one decanter. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

mark

- Deputy - 02-11-2006

so what's the purpose of doing this right away?

I understand that decanting allows the wine to oxidize and open up, but to subsequently put it right back into the bottle...?

- barnesy - 02-13-2006

I was just in Vancouver and Whistler over the last weekend for the first time. BC is stunningly beautiful. But the beer and wine prices are stunningly horrible.

My wife can get Canadian citizenship. So if they can ever fix the booze tax, we might migrate up.

Barnesy

- Deputy - 02-13-2006

Well, if you ever want to immigrate, I'm your man. It just happens to be the business that I'm in. I'm in law school and working at an immigration law firm and have been working with immigration law for the past 4 years.

Just so you know [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- brappy - 02-15-2006

Deputy, just noticed you asked another question. This week has been hell with Valentine's Day and all.

If you're asking about the timing "right away", that probably is not so important. Double decanting gives the most amount of air in the shortest amount of time. This type of decanting also stirs up the wine and I find that beneficial for young wines especially ones that are higher in alcohol. It would be more effective if I poured into another decanter instead of the bottle.

But the other reasons I gave (Laziness and lack of the correct amount of decanters) are probably closer to the real reason I double decant back into the bottle.

Give it a shot; if it works for you, then do it; if not, then don't. Taste the wine just poured into the glass next to a double-decanted glass of the same wine.

Take care deputy, mark

- TheEngineer - 02-15-2006

122%....oophh....that hurts....thanks for the information. I had thought that it was much less than that!

- Deputy - 02-16-2006

Well Gents, you're always full of great info.

Thanks Brap!

I have to go pick up a decanter someday soon. Still don't have one and have simply been too slow to remember to pick one up when I've been out.

Yeah Eng, I knew it was high, but that's ridiculous!

`Mike

- Deputy - 02-17-2006

Wicked, picked up (two) nice ones at Costco yesterday for only $9.97 each on Clearance. Each comes with the drying stand and a funnel.

Good stuff!

- Deputy - 02-18-2006

Just a brief update on some of the earlier Volpoly comments...

I opened the 2004 Folonari Valpolicella tonight with a basic tomato sauce based (garlic, oregano, mrs. dash italian spices blend) spaghetti with swedish meatballs (hey, you use what's in the freezer in my house).

It actually went really nicely together. I liked the light bodied nature of the Folonari (although it describes it has medium, I'm guessing "light" would be more appropriate). It wasn't too heavily acidic and I honestly felt like I was getting a bit of grape juice with every sip (without the sugar, mind you). It was rather fruity and pleasant. It looks a bit thin in the glass, very transcluscent.

Tasty though, I think valpolicellas will be on the list in the future. Maybe a Beaujolais Villages will be in order as well.

- TheEngineer - 02-18-2006

Lemme guess....Ikea Swedish meatballs....purchased from Richmond's Ikea Store? or the one in Coquitlam?

I've been known to do the same... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Deputy - 02-18-2006

Hah, actually, just from Safeway, although the Coquitlam Ikea is only a few minutes from my house.

Swedish meatballs are yummy, but not too good for the current attempt at weight loss I'm experimenting with (basic healthy eating)...then again, neither is wine!

- Innkeeper - 02-18-2006

Take exception to thought that you can't lose weight and drink wine. True love lost 100 lbs while having a couple of glasses every night.

- Deputy - 02-18-2006

That's very true, IK. It's entirely possible to lose plenty of weight, so long as you take a balanced approach, fit the wine in, and keeep everything in moderation.

As most people on the forum that I visit re that topic point out - no one is saying that you can't reach your goals with wine in your diet, simply that it will take longer to get there (which, physiologically speaking, is simply true...as far as I know re the effects of alcohol on the metabolization of fat, etc).

- robr - 02-18-2006

I lost ten lbs in a couple of weeks by cutting down on bread, rice, pasta. I cut out cookies and crackers, and only eat whole grain breads and pastas in moderation. No ice cream, sugary treats, cake, pie is allowed. Lots of low fat meats and veggies is the ticket. I have managed to keep it off, now working on losing another ten.

Oh yeah, and I still had a couple of glasses of wine every night. Salute!