WineBoard
I am very new to the wine world and.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I am very new to the wine world and.... (/thread-19100.html)

Pages: 1 2

- miime - 12-18-2003

I am new to the wine world and I was wondering if there are any good sweet red wines? I mean I don't like the dry white wine at all. For some reason the dryness is not a good taste for me. So I figured I would lean toward the red wines; wines with a fuller taste. I am trying to avoid the tartness that I have commonly came across in tasting wine. My interest sparks from articles that I have seen about wine being somewhat of a healthy drink for a person. I also understand that red wine has a tendency to relax you. One last thing I don't necessarily want a dinner wine, but a wine that can stand alone, if I so choose. Any help for my dilemma would be greatly appreciated!

- sedhead - 12-18-2003

Miime
Welcome
I guess I'm the first one up this morning so I'll leave the details to the Moderator Innkeeper or more experienced wine drinkers here.
They will need to know how sweet you like your wines. There are many German white wines that you may like that are not considered "sweet" but are very accessible.
They may also want to know if you want a dessert wine or after dinner wine.
IMHO I do not believe it's a good idea to start drinking wine just because they may be some health benifits to wine. But it is always good to try something new.

- John Moore - 12-18-2003

Hi! Miime,
I think I have the perfect wine for you.
There is a red wine that we carry that is for people who want a VERY smooth red wine. The wine is from Hungary and is the most popular wine we keep in stock. It is called RED AUSBRUCH and it is the SMOOTHEST red wine you will ever have tasted. Contact me at my e-mail~ IntWBrokers@yahoo.com if you are in need of further assistance.

P.S.~ I am a wine broker/consultant

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-26-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2003

Your profile says your email is unavailable.

- Innkeeper - 12-18-2003

Hi Miime, and welcome to the Wine Board. Wines in the U.S. are divided into three general categories: table wines, dessert wines, and sparkling wines. Table wines are all still wines that sweet or dry, and have less than 16% alcohol. Dessert wines are still, extremely sweet, hight alcohol, and frequently fortified with brandy or other spirits. If you want one of the latter, try a Port.

Sweet red table wines are few and far between. Lambrusco from Italy is the easiest to come by. Most of your local Texas wineries can be depended on to have sweet or at least off dry selections. You might also try a fruity dry wine such as the '03 Nouveau Beaujolais that is currently available.

- miime - 12-19-2003

I thank everyone for the suggestions and I have some idea of where to start. I am interested in trying wine as a new option, not so much as the health reason. I tend to move towards simple drinks with rum or vodka and I just wanted to step away from such drinks. Also the wine world as a whole seems so interesting to me. I think it can lead to a totally new hobby for me. Once again I appreciate the help offered, so far!!

- sedhead - 12-19-2003

Good idea. Wine is much better than the "hard" stuff. Good luck.

- miime - 12-20-2003

Hi!!
This is some information about a wine I recently tried. Ste Genevieve French Merlot; Rich, round red wine with the taste of pepper, chocolate and plums...unfolding in tones of oak and spice. Needless to say I didn't like it to well. It had the full flavor, but just not quite what I was looking for. What went wrong and why was I so far off from the taste I want? I did however look for the nouveau beaujolais and couldn't find it.

- John Moore - 12-23-2003

Hi! Miime,

You should look too Hungary for sweeter reds. I have as I mentioned previously the perfect wine for you. Contact me at my e-mail~IntWBrokers@yahoo.com for further assistance.

- Kcwhippet - 12-24-2003

miime,

Try another Merlot. The Ste Genevieve is France's answer to Two Buck Chuck. It's made from an excess of Merlot juice, blended and bottled quickly for the export trade to the U.S. Try a Bogle Merlot.

- miime - 12-24-2003

Will do!!! Thanks for the info. Merry X-Mas all!!!

- Brom - 12-26-2003

Don't try any more Merlots. They are not what you are looking for.

Lambruscos will probably be in your line. Also American labruscas - they are not the same thing.

You could also want a dessert wine. Based on what you have said, these are what you want.

Try ruby ports.

- miime - 12-27-2003

Where would I start...to look for this type of wine? Also I've made note about the ports. What's the deal with merlot? Just wondering, since it was said that it is not what I want.
Thanks

- wondersofwine - 12-29-2003

Merlot is basically a dry red wine and you are seeking sweet red wines. While Merlot can be mellow and fruity tasting, it is not a sweet wine in the manner of Lambrusco or certain others.

- Tyrrell - 12-29-2003

Merlot wines are normally made with no residual sugar and so they do not have the sweetness that you mentioned that you were looking for.

Another red that you might find sweet is Beaujolais Nuevo (I suspect that I've spelled this incorrectly.) It is fairly inexpensive and you can find it nearly everyplace right now. However it's only available for a small part of the year and that part is nearly over.

Tradition says that Beaujolais Nuevo is to be consumed between mid November and January 1. I’ve read people who believe that it is actually better between April and May of the following year. I’ve not drank enough myself to have an opinion.

- Innkeeper - 12-29-2003

It is Nouveau Beaujolais that I previously recommended and the '03 should be consumed before May '04.

- miime - 12-29-2003

Thanks everyone!!!!

- SparklingSweet - 12-30-2003

Hello....
Husband and I are very new to the world of wines, so we are somewhat like blank sheets of paper to a writer, for those with experience here! We were served Banfi Rosa Regale 2001 at a small dinner party a few weeks ago and I must say,,,I fell in love! It is a sparkling wine, light, and delicatly sweet. About $20.00 a bottle. We have purchased every bottle in this small we could find! (only 5, but they are 2002). We were directed to another wonderful wine by a very helpful employee of the largest Beverage company in town, It is Asti CinZano. $13.00 a bottle. Also a sparkling wine. I found it even better than the first! Husband still prefers the Rosa Regale. We prefer, as those of you who are experienced can see, a light, sweet, sparkling wine. We would appreciate any suggestions for more wines we could try simular to these two. Also,,,I seem to remember reading that certain wines are best when served in particular shapes of glass ware. Any help here would aso be appreciated.

- Innkeeper - 12-31-2003

Hi Sparkling, and welcome to the Wine Board. Sparkling wine is best served in Champagne flutes. Their shape concentrates and elevates the presentation of the bubbles

- wondersofwine - 12-31-2003

I like the Rosa Regale too. First had it last February at a wine event in Raleigh. I can't recommend any similar but you might try Prosecco, another Italian sparkling wine category.