WineBoard
brand spankin' new - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: brand spankin' new (/thread-19065.html)

- jtslammin - 10-29-2003

I'm brand new to the wine world. I've tried a some red and white courtesy of KLM airlines while flying overseas...but that's the extent. I'd like advice on where to start with a price range of $30 - $100.

- Innkeeper - 10-29-2003

Hi JT and welcome to the Wine Board. There is no need to start at those price points, no matter how well heeled you are. If you flew first class, perhaps KLM could tell you what they served. If you have any idea anyway, a reputable wine shop in any urban area in your neck of the woods should be able to help you.

If we were going to start all over again, for reds we would start with one of the so-called Cru Beaujolais. Right now we are enjoying one called Fleurie from the 2002 vintage. We think the easiest white to start with is the Italian called Verdicchio, Dei Castelli Di Jesi, Classico. The ones in the teens are really better than the ones in single digits. Don't worry about the length of the names of Italian Wines; they all will tell you a lot of information in time.

- Brom - 10-30-2003

Actually I am curious as to why you would want to begin by buying and trying wines that are so expensive. Any particular reason?

- jtslammin - 10-30-2003

Notes on price: I was informed the difference in price would mean the difference in quality. If I'm just completely wrong someone please make my day and explain to me that a cheaper wine is better.

- Innkeeper - 10-30-2003

At the price points you were suggesting most of the wines, unless you were lucky enough to find some old ones, will have to be aged for five, ten, or even fifteen years before they reach their peak.

If you can suggest some wines you would like to try we can recommend some in the $15 to $20 range that are ready to go. We recommended some starter wines so you can find what direction you want to go.

- Brom - 10-30-2003

A coupla things:

"I was informed the difference in price would mean the difference in quality"

Yes and no. The difference in price means the difference in price. The growing misconception in the wine world today is that a wine cannot be a quality, well-made, wonderful wine unless the price is prohibitive.
Winemakers have stated publicly that they have raised their prices solely because the consumer would perceive their wines as lacking in quality if they did not. This is a shame.

Nothing personal, but in a way you are a part of this problem. You don't know anything about wine, but you are willing to throw $100 at that unknown quantity, assuming that big money means a good thing.

Certainly, generally speaking you will get a nicer wine at $30 than you will at $5, but it is likely that most $15 American Pinot Noirs are better than $30 Burgundies (I stress not all). Why? Because they don't make that much Burgundy - they're expensive.

Try looking at it this way: you describe yourself as "brand-spanking new" having tried some wines on an airplane flight. You don't even know what you like yet. In your position, buying a $100 wine is like someone who cannot drive buying a Ferrari.

Here's some stuff:
Look for a Gallo (yes, that Gallo) Barelli Creek Cabernet Sauvignon; $25-30

Also get a Benziger Family Cabernet Sauvignon; $15-20

See if you can find a Spanish wine, Osborne Solaz; $6

You should enjoy them all. The question is did you enjoy the Solaz?

Now look for Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages, another Cab't. That will be close to $100.

Now the question is, do you regret having drunk the Solaz?

If you can afford to buy nothing but $100 wines, learn about $100 wines. If you will be drinking the occasional Cotes de Rhone...

- winoweenie - 10-30-2003

Hey there JT..slammin and welcome. I hate answering this type of post as most are shams. I don't know hardly anyone in my crowd who say " Let's swing down to to pushers and buy a hunnert' buck bottle ". Please buy yourself a case of 10-15 buck wines, get the book " Wines For Dummies ", take the time to read every page whilst drinking each and every bottle, then you'll understand that wine can-not be capsulized. There are 1000s' of sensational 50-100 buck bottles and 1000s' of really mediocre bottles of plonk out there that prey on neophites. And has been pointed out, there are 1000s' of 10-20 buck bottles that will kick patootie in the best of company. Long Highway, Few Good Drivers, Lots of Potholes. Drive Carefully and above all,,,,,,,,,Have Fun. WW