WineBoard
QUIET!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: QUIET!!! (/thread-19059.html)

- buradayam - 10-04-2004

OK, so I go out and buy this great Haier wine cooler and install it into the kitchen counter. Rather I had it done, so you can imagine the cost. WELL, now She Who Must be Obeyed is going nuts with the noise.

Sooo, my question is, when I remove this cooler and place it in the garage or closet somewhere, what cooler should I get for an under-the-counter installation, and it's GOTTA be quiet!!!

Any suggestions, oh, my gurus?

- hotwine - 10-05-2004

I'm not a big fan of kitchen installations for wine cooler; the environment is too warm, they tend to vibrate against adjoining cabinets, etc. But agree, they look nice.

It seems to me that the noise level of such units goes up as their price goes down. The ones we saw in a high-end home show last month were made by Viking; and they were all operating, and very quiet. If you want a really quiet unit, it will probably cost you some sizeable bucks. Personally, I'd fill the hole in the cabinets with something else (spice racks, small appliance garage, lazy susan for blenders, etc.) and leave the Haier in the garage.

- Bucko - 10-05-2004

We have a Viking and it is reasonably quiet. Buy the wife some Bose headphones with sound reduction... [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- njjchiro - 10-05-2004

For quiet operation and a quick depletion of fund....go Sub-Zero

- buradayam - 10-05-2004

Thanks for your replies. Will look into Viking.

Interesting that we are also shopping for Bose system for TV. She DOES use plugs for somebody who snores a lot, so maybe thats another method. Lot cheaper than Bose

- wineguruchgo - 10-05-2004

So should I assume that you are in Florida in winter and on the cape in summer?

Why not just put the thing outside? I belong to a handyman board and many on there keep fridges & freezers outside in northern climates. This should be fine as well.

- buradayam - 10-05-2004

Yes, we just returned from Cape Cod, arriving in hurricane central last Sat. The installation was done over the summer while we were gone. Did have the Haier in the garage, but dont forget, down here, garages get HOT! We live in a gated community where they have marked all the trees scheduled for removal...1665 so far was the highest number I saw, and these are all landscape trees, palms to great gigantic banyans and ficus, with diameters of 8-10 ft. The community will not allow stuff outside and does require hurricane shutters to be installed within 5 days of a storm, and must be removed within 5 days as well. Dont think theyd fancy a wine cooler outside, hehe

Saw the Viking VUWC141 but havent got a price yet.

- buradayam - 10-09-2004

WOW, $1650 for the undercounter Viking!!

- buradayam - 11-06-2004

I am posting this against my better judgement, cuz it proves Im an idiot.

Just had the cabinet people in to adjust the bookshelves they installed at the same time as the cooler. It seems I was so concerned with air circulation that I had given them a tiny 'computer fan' I had laying around, to use as air evacuation for the cooler. Once they unplugged it, there was no noise. Wife not home, but will see if she notices. What a fool I am! The cabinet people say that there are enough air leaks there to provide for the air circulation. Oh well....

- thewoodman - 11-07-2004

buradyaam...doesn't the Haier vent out the lower front? Is it really made for under a cabinet. I like my GE monogram. I looked at GE, subZ, Viking, etc. and they all seem to have basically the same guts...so I went with the $700 one.

- buradayam - 11-08-2004

I bot the Haier cuz of the great reco from Consumers Reports. It vents out the back, I think. The bottom of the front seems solid, unlike the other frontventing units I saw. AND it's less than half the cost of the Viking

[This message has been edited by buradayam (edited 11-08-2004).]

- buradayam - 11-11-2004

Weell, it's now six days and She Who Must Be Obeyed, STILL has not noticed the noise reduction. I even restarted the noise for 30 min last night while She was working in the kitchen. Then I turned it off. Yesterday, I told her I was so disappointed cuz I had worked so hard to please her in the kitchen and she hasnt noticed. I even pointed it out that at that time it was 5 days. She has studied with her eyes, but not her ears...oh well...I refuse to tell her what it is that I did. Maybe , just maybe, some day...

BTW, off topic: my 2002 Kim Crawford souv has made a hit every time I served it, and I mean a very BIG hit