WineBoard
pirramimma cabernet sauvignon '99 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: pirramimma cabernet sauvignon '99 (/thread-19055.html)

Pages: 1 2

- libby_m_jordan - 03-07-2002

Hi am a complete novice to the world of wine, but have to stand up and talk about the following wine to a bunch of like-minded alcoholic students! Is anybody familiar with this wine- Pirramimma, cabernet sauvignon '99? Would be grateful if anybody has knowledge of this particular winery and could briefly tell me the wine's characteristics (appearance/nose/palate etc.)So that I can give the illusion (at least) that I know what I am talking about!
Would be most grateful for any help
Lib

- mrdutton - 03-07-2002

A bit of a toothy red from South America. Watch out for this one, it will sneak up on you and bite you when you least expect it!

- libby_m_jordan - 03-08-2002

Thanks for the help mrdutton, but the wine in question is actually australian cabernet sauvignon! (that's all I know about it, though!)
cheers anyway...

- Thomas - 03-08-2002

Libby, et al,

Have you condisered tasting the wine for yourself so that you would know what you are talking about? Are you old enough to buy it in the UK?

- libby_m_jordan - 03-10-2002

Well well 'foodie', do I detect an element of sarcasm in your response? Actually, I do not get to try the wine until the actual event and, to be honest, being a student I am not in a position to buy myself anything that fancy!
Although your profile stipulates that you are in fact a writer, I assumed that this would also involve an element of reading, yet you failed to read my initial mail which should have enlightened you as to my chosen occupation.
Regards
Libby

- libby_m_jordan - 03-10-2002

And another thing, foodie, you spelt "considered" incorrectly, tut tut!

- RAD - 03-10-2002

Lib,

A bit of manners are in order, as is some understanding that we're operating in an electronic medium here--it's easy to read "just words" incorrectly without access to tone of voice, body language, etc. Foodie can spell just fine--the error in question is one of transposition, and obviously a typo rather than an egregious error per se.

I don't think Foodie was being sarcastic. The phrase "alcoholic students" sets off all kinds of red flags here in the US, where the minimum drinking age is 21.

I'm not familiar with this wine per se, but cabernets are typically a dark ruby/garnet in color; typical aromas/flavors are cassis, black cherry, perhaps some vanilla/oak/cedar depending on the type of oak and length in which it was aged; and often some significant tannins on the finish if the wine is young.

RAD

- winoweenie - 03-10-2002

Libby, I've read and re-read your initial post and I must be dumb as a board as I still can't figure out what your major in school be! Writer, song-writer, producer, director or researcher? All Foodie was trying to accomplish with his well-phrased post was the simplist of enlightenment.... you can find out almost any answer to a problem by self discovery. You and many people who post on the novice board get extremely sensitive when the answers given are not in line with their expectations. I see no sarcasm in the post by Foodie, but I do see a lil' bit of the needle in your pointing out a spelling problem. The fact that he took the time out of a very hective retail business to offer help for your problem, without any kind of consideration, shows the love of the grape that most of us have that frequent this board. Subjective answers to very ambiguous questions are normally best solved by the questioner experiencing the subject. In other words we want YOU to do your homework. Happy St. Pats....WW

- winedope - 03-10-2002

way out of line, Libby. While all of us have our own opinions and are free to express them here, your retort to honest suggestions is not at all reasonable or mature. I don't always agree with everyone here, but that's the point. Everyone has their own ideas. You asked for their suggestions, they didn't ask for you to be impertinent. Further, your chosen career is still a mystery, since nowhere in your post do you state it, or even hint at it. If you want help, ask for it, but don't be cranky when people reply. The people here are always ready to help, but they need to know what you are looking for. Take it from someone who's asked many questions.

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 03-10-2002).]

- Thomas - 03-11-2002

Thanks guys for combing to my reskew--I alwayz wisht I could spell as good as othas.

Seriously, I too can find no hint of Libby's occupation, even after she pointed me back to her post. And I do take issue with that "alcoholic student" remark, whatever it means. So, all I can figure is this is one more "homework" assignment we are asked to do, and she is one more person who has trouble with directness.

I do get myself into a lot of trouble with that "attitude" of directness. The real question is: why doesn't Roberto get in even more trouble than I?

- winoweenie - 03-11-2002

That's easy... Boto 'n me done granulated from that Carnegie course of suave. WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-11-2002

Well, let's try to straighten up some of this. From what I've been able to find out, Pirramimma isn't imported into the U.S. I've checked with our distributors, and none of them knows of anyone who brings it in. Apparently, most of their sales are cellar door with a small amount being distributed around eastern and southern Australia, and an even smaller amount finding it's way to the UK. So, I don't think many people here (if any of them) have even seen it. That would make Foodie's suggestion that Libby try the wine herself even more meaningful. She can get the wine, we can't. If the shop where she does her wine shopping has competent personnel, they should be able to tell her all she needs to know without her even having to buy the wine. By the way, Pirramimma wines retail in Australia for about $8 to $10 according to my sources, so they're far from being too "fancy" for anyone's budget. By the way, Libby, what is your chosen occupation? The only thing I could derive from your initial post is that you're either a "complete novice" or an "alcoholic student", neither of which I would consider a worthy occupation.

- mrdutton - 03-11-2002

Libby - you missed the pun......... it sailed right over your head, my friend.

- mrdutton - 03-11-2002

Libby if it is not too late you could try calling the winery or faxing them and asking them directly:

Pirramimma
Johnston Rd., McLaren Vale, SA 5171
Phone: (61) 8 8323 8205
Fax: (61) 8 8323 9224
Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; Weekends noon-4pm

Sorry, the database I used to garner this information did not list a website or an e-mail address for the winery.

- libby_m_jordan - 03-12-2002

I can't believe you all thought I was being serious. I presume that you are all completely unfamiliar with the British sense of humour (which is incredibly sarcastic). I was only joking, guys!!
You are all a bit too serious for your own good! Perhaps you could all do with knocking back a bit more of the old vino....
Regards
Libby xxx

- libby_m_jordan - 03-12-2002

I am in my final year of studying for a PhD in marine biotechnology.
By the way, I didn't get to taste the wine until the actual event, but it was really quite good, sort of treacle/chocolatey aftertaste to it.
Signing off now, since I have managed to insult everyone!
Regards.......
lib

- Thomas - 03-12-2002

I believe I have heard it all...

- winoweenie - 03-12-2002

What in the blue-blazes have we done to deserve the Capn' and Libsbe in the same week? Looks like another case of being out-gunned and then the loser saying " Dint' youse dummies realize mine be a cap pistol". WW

- mrdutton - 03-12-2002

Did anyone get my attempt at a pun? Apparently that dry sense of Britsh humor didn't. (GRIN)

- winedope - 03-13-2002

I like a good joke as much as the next person, but this one I don't get. Considering the humor expressed on this board, I really can't see that we are "too serious" Please!!