WineBoard
Suggestions for 25th Aniv Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Suggestions for 25th Aniv Wine (/thread-19016.html)

- Dogwalker - 05-15-2000

OK gang, here's your chance to shine.
Mr. & Mrs. will leave for a week in Disney World this coming Saturday for our 25th wedding anniversary. Although we have planned several different dinners that week, the special one will be Wednesday night.
Dinner will be at the California Grill on the 17th floor of the Contemporary Hotel (1/2 hour before the fireworks). The fare is American.
Although I hope to try a few different wines while there I would be open for your ideas of that special wine that will match the meal at this once in a lifetime event.
Also I have never been to DW. Any don't miss things you know of?
Thanks, Chuck

- Jackie - 05-15-2000

American fare can be almost anything. Have you planned the menu? What are your preferences or choices for main course, etc.??

- Dogwalker - 05-15-2000

AMERICAN!!!
That means nothing fluffy or foo-foo. They drag that there steer right up to your table "uncooked" and you chew on it right there! And your expected to drive right into the the tank and catch your own fish!
Now that's American!
Really, its beef, fish I guess from what the book says.
Besides I don't swim to good to go after my own fish.

- Dogwalker - 05-15-2000

AMERICAN!!!
That means nothing fluffy or foo-foo. They drag that there steer right up to your table "uncooked" and you chew on it right there! And your expected to drive right into the the tank and catch your own fish!
Now that's American!
Really, its beef, fish I guess from what the book says.
Besides I don't swim to good to go after my own fish.

- hotwine - 05-15-2000

Jackie's right, Chuck - we need a little more to go on. Suggest you work out with your bride what each of you would like to have for dinner, then the wines can be chosen to accompany those foods.

I would recommend that you take your own Champagne, though, to enjoy in your hotel room, and avoid being ripped off in the restaurant. There are several good non-vintage bubblies in the range of $30-$40, such as Pomerey, Veueve Cliquot NV (yellow label), Roederer and Taittinger NV. Buy those at a discount wine shop to take with you.

Our 25th will be in October (Halloween, no less; it was the only date open in my travel schedule).

Best wishes.

- Innkeeper - 05-15-2000

Hi Chuck, Hotwine was right about the bubbly. You might want to go with an American alternative, such as Roederer Estate Brut or Brut Rose'. These are very general recommendations for your American meal. Have an American Sauvignon Blanc/Fume Blanc with the fish, and an American Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or blend of them with the meat. Have a very happy anniversary. Innkeeper

- Drew - 05-15-2000

I think a 1997 B.R. Cohn "Olive Hill" Cabernet will go great with the beast, I mean beef.

Drew

- mrdutton - 05-15-2000

The Corbitt Canyon Cabernet is decent enough for the beef. But who knows what Walt has on his wine list these days at the Contemporary Hotel?!? It has been about 5 years since I've been there..........

As for fish................. well the stock answer is white. But that depends on the fish, since some really fatty fishes can match nicely with reds also.

Try Sauvignon Blanc, Chablis (French) or maybe even Viognier (FRENCH).

If you don't eat a fatty beef, you can go with a Cab Franc or a Pinot or even a Beaujolais.

Places not to miss.......... Well depends on what you like.

Space Mountain is neat if you like roller coasters, as is also Splash Mountain (a water ride version of the ultimate roller coaster). Pirates of the Carribean is pretty interesting and if you can handle it so is Its a Small World. Then you might want to try the Haunted House.

If you are looking for FOOD, then get reservations at one of the places in Epcot Center. France is tremendous as is the Tepanyaki (sp?) place in Japan. Mexico serves some darn good fare also.

Hope you enjoy. I was stationed with the Navy in Jacksonville for three years. I went to Disney World just about every other weekend. I can visualize Disney World, Epcot Center, MGM Studios and Pleasure Island just by blinking. Oh, I forgot to mention that...... Night life......... Visit Pleasure Island - great dancing, great comedy shows, fireworks everynight at about midnight! The only thing they didn't have there was the Animal Kingdom, which is relatively new. However, I've heard that is worht exploring also.

More there than can be done in a 5 day period, that is for sure.

- Jason - 05-15-2000

CA grill is a great restaurant worthy of all the attention its gets. Super busy, but the food is always on and the open kitchen is run buy some real pros. They also have a sushi bar at one of the counters. Management is very into wine, as this is a test center for the MS program, and Disney has many people in the program.
There is another place in the Grand Floridian that is more expensive called Citricos and is mediterranean. Staff in both is very well trained and I believe both have a policy of pouring anything on the winelist.
I know in CA grill you take the bottle price and divide by four+ $2 to come up with glass price.
If your into truly formal dining, try Victoria & Alberts. I don't have any experience with this place, but the other two are very good.

- Dogwalker - 05-16-2000

Thanks everybody for the info and good advise.
I didn't mean to sound like "smart donkey" about what we would have, but I don't know what is on the menu except for what the book tells us.
I am, being from the Boston area a big fan of seafood and fish. But I could be talked into a new piece of lean steak.
I did choose the Cal grill because of their wine selection. I am looking forward to spending considerable time studying it. My wife can't join me because the wine causes migraine headaches.
Again thanks, and if your in the area on Wednesday night drop in at 8 and I'll share a bottle with all of you. - Chuck