WineBoard
White Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: White Wine (/thread-19007.html)

- CLAUDIA DE LIMA - 02-03-2005

Hello,

I was told that in the manufacture of White Wine lots of spicies are added, like herbs and different fruits, Is it so?
And only the white wine receives this treatment?

- Innkeeper - 02-03-2005

Hi Claudia and welcome to the Wine Board. You were told wrong. What you are describing sounds like a punch, not the fermenting of white wine.

- Kcwhippet - 02-03-2005

Could be something like a white sangria. If you just consider herbs (or botanicals), it could be vermouth, too.

- TheEngineer - 02-03-2005

Claudia,

Perhaps you were referring to what are known as tasting notes. This is where people describe what a wine tastes like and they often used words like you are describing. So perhaps some white wines taste like some spices, or herbs or is a bit nutty, but wine is made purely out of grapes.

Then again, I could be completely off my boat.

- Skeeter - 02-04-2005

*offers the Engineer a boathook*

That's how I read the query, too. And at the cellar door where I work weekends, I've had the following conversation.

ME: (Describing a Marlborough Sauvingnon Blanc) "...This has a lot of passionfruit, a touch of armpit...."

WINE NOVICE CUSTOMER: "You put passionfruit in it?"

ME: "No, it's only grapes. But can you smell the passionfruit?"

WNC: Yeah! So, there's no passionfruit in these wines?"

ME: "Nope."

WNC: "So why can I smell passionfruit?"

ME: (Makes mental note not to mention the black cherry aromas in the pinot noir.) [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

EDITED to take out accidental "grumpy-Face Smiley" I would never make for a customer. Even the wine-snobs who insisted they liked "Burgundian" reds. Then rejected our Pinot Noir, as being "Too Light... we want a big, gusty red like a cab Sav." Thank you sir, you're an idiot. Next!

[This message has been edited by Skeeter (edited 02-03-2005).]

- Georgie - 02-07-2005

You mean they questioned the passionfruit and not the ARMPIT?

- wondersofwine - 02-07-2005

I'm with Georgie on this one.

- Thomas - 02-07-2005

Skeeter: reminds me of the day my wife whispered in my ear at our tasting room that I should take a break because I was chasing the customers away.

To one question I was asked, "what do you make the chardonnay jelly from?" I answered, "urine."

Within a few weeks I had decided the time had come for me to close the small winery and find a way to earn a living without HAVING to answer questions for it... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 02-07-2005

You didn't..

- TheEngineer - 02-07-2005

Skeeter LOL!!! Thanks for the tow rope

Ow...think my stomach is hurting from the laughter.....

- stevebody - 02-09-2005

Actual exchange between me and one of my female customers at Esquin:

Me: You'll notice a strong aroma of apricot in there...

She: They use apricots?

Me: No, that's...

She: 'Cause I want a wine made from grapes. I told our friends I was going to buy wine and they asked what grape I was going to get.

Me: They're all grape wines! Nothing here is made from anything else...Well, we have a little mead over there but...

She: I saw a cranberry wine.

Me: Yeah, that's made locally and it's got cranberries in it, but...

She: So I want a wine without anything in it but grapes.

Me: I got you confused. Flavors and aromas in wine are caused by the characteristics of the grapes. Other flavors just emerge when you drink them. Blackberry is a common flavor in Syrah, black currant in Cabernet, but they don't put the actual fruit in there. It's something you want in wine, those layers of flavor.

She: No, I just want a wine that tastes like grapes! I planned dinner around having wine and that's the flavor I need to match the salmon.

Me: (picking up a Promessa Rosso Salento) Here's one of the best salmon wines I've ever tasted and you see how inexpensive it is. It'll match up perfectly.

She: My friend told me that I should ask if it was stored in wood.

Me: Pardon?

She: Wood...you know, like in a barrel.

Me: Well, yeah. It was.

She: (making a face) So it tastes like some old nasty barrel?

Me: No, no! The barrel gives it a kind of smoky flavor and a little vanilla taste. And the barrels are clean...even new, most times.

She: They put vanilla in it?

Me: No...Vanilla is a natural flavor in wines aged in oka barrels.

She: Well, somebody had to put vanilla into the barrel, didn't they? Wood isn't vanilla.

Me: The same natural essence that makes vanilla taste that way, vanillin, is also in oak. It's just a complement to the flavors. You'll hardly notice it.

She: Flavors? I really need just grape.

Me: (struggling) Ma'am...all wines have more than one flavor in them. Wine is very complex. It sometimes has a dozen or more flavors in it and can develop more as the air works on it. Most wines DON'T taste like grapes. Trust me, your guests will love this with salmon.

She: Oh, now I'm confused...

Me: Do you like beer?

She: Oh, we all love beer.

He: How 'bout a beer with the salmon? Something light. It'll work just fine.

She: Oh. Okay. What kinds do you have?

Me: Well, we don't sell beer. But there is a state liquor store right up the street.

She: Oh, no. Liquor won't go with the salmon. Although, maybe vodka...

Me: They have beer.

She: They do? I thought it was just liquor.

Me: Well, maybe they don't...Now, I'm confused.

She: They said they could get the wine if I didn't want to fool with it. They know wine.

Me: Great! Want to use our phone and call them?

She: Thank you so much! You're such a help!

Some paraphrasing but not much. Perfectly sweet lady but I had to go lay down with a cold rag on my head...

- Kcwhippet - 02-09-2005

I think a real close relative of that woman was in the shop tonight. Much too excruciating to go into detail now.

- Georgie - 02-10-2005

Ha! What a riot...are you sure that wasn't an old Abbott and Costello routine?

- wondersofwine - 02-10-2005

KC, I want to hear about your customer when you have the time.