WineBoard
Boston Wine Expo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Boston Wine Expo (/thread-18953.html)

- WileECoyote - 01-27-2006

Have any of you seen the list of exhibitors? I was looking over it and it seemed a bit overwhelming. If you get a second or have already looked, any recommendations as to what table(s) I should head to first? I only have a one day pass and want to make the best of it. Thanks in advance. Any good Reislings?

http://www.wine-expos.com/boston/wine_exhibitors.php

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2006

If you're going Sunday that would be best, because the crowds are mercifully a bit lighter than Saturday. It seems that Saturday is mobs of just barely legal kids running from table to table slamming down as much wine as they can in the few hours they have. That said, there are a few places I'd stop at:
*Ex Cellars - Fred Ek reps Guigal and he usually has some nice Cote Rotie at his table.
*Dr. Loosen - Here's some of the Rieslings you want to try, and Ernst Loosen's a nice guy to talk with.
*Finger Lakes - You'll find more Rieslings here.
*Jessie's Grove - From smack in the middle of Lodi, this is a combo winery and horse ranch. Makes some really nice Zins.
*Lambert Bridge - Nice wines and Julia Iantosca is a really nice person. If you go there, you probably also stop at Gloria Ferrer. Julia's husband, Bob, is winemaker there.
*Schmitt Sohne - More Rieslings for you.

- wondersofwine - 01-27-2006

I haven't seen the entire list but KC mentions Fred Ek. He also may have some nice white Burgundies (I know him from the Nantucket Wine Festival).

- WileECoyote - 01-27-2006

I wish I could go Sunday instead, but my fiance is flying in just for this occasion and Saturday is the best day for us. Thanks for taking the time on the suggestions and I will be sure to report back. You mentioned the Guigal rep being there. I had a bottle of the Chat. D Pape 2000 and it was kind of tasty, very bold and earthy, better if I would have kept it longer. I can't wait! Next year I will spring for the Grand Cru Lounge. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by WileECoyote (edited 01-27-2006).]

[This message has been edited by WileECoyote (edited 01-28-2006).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-30-2006

So, how was it?

- WileECoyote - 01-30-2006

I have proved one thing for sure, German Reisling, the best. It is true waht they say, from dry to sweet. I feel like one of those barely legal guys because I did not take notes. It was definitely a mad house. My friend went Sunday and they ran out of wine by 3. I also made another discovery, Brazillian sparkling wine. I had no idea it exsited. The E Guigal rep was there with a great collection of 01 - 04 Chat. Du Pape and some others (Cotes Rhone). The E Guigal rep said the 03 Chat du Pape is supposed to be as good if not better than the 1999. I think it was kindo of flat myself. I like the real earthy chalky flavor myself. First time I had a Languedoc and I like it. White Burgundy was also another pleasant surprise. Dr. Loosen, Great. I hope I don't come off as an ***hole for not taking notes. It was an enjoyable time until later on when the crowd was rowdy and drunk. Rudeness was there. All around good time. That is my first large organized tasting. The next one will have to be DC when I will be better prepared. Thanks for going over the list and throwing the suggestions my way. The Barefoot Bubbly was not all that bad either. Barefoot is definitley a bargain in my book.

[This message has been edited by WileECoyote (edited 01-30-2006).]

- TheEngineer - 01-30-2006

IT was an absolute madhouse as it always is., In fact, I never even found the German Rieslings. Many barely legals were abxolutely tanked....

The '03's CDP's, all the people there (and there were many of the vitners there) were all saying that the 2003's are great...still not buying that. And the Bordeaus 04's tasted, not really impressed with either. They all seem to be waiting on the 05's where they could not contain their enthusiasm.