WineBoard
Loire Valley Red Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Loire Valley Red Wines (/thread-18929.html)

- ejg723 - 03-21-2000

I am a novice with wine. I recently took a trip to France and had a bottle of wine in Paris that I loved. It is not an expensive wine or "top of the line" but I enjoyed it and am trying to buy it in the US. The wine is "Saumur Champigny" and is a red wine from the Loire Valley. My research reveals that this region of France is famous for its white wines and champagne, and not their red wines. I have tried to order the wine from a wine shop in manhattan and the store told me that the "domain" does not export here. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could obtain this wine (preferably 1996 vintage). Thank you in advance for any responses.

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2000

You can get a 1998 Saumur, Grand Reserve, by M. Bonnamy, from Pops Wines, 256 Long Beach Road, Island Park, NY 11558, Tel: (516) 431-0025, or www.popswine.com . The price is $6.88 per bottle at the case rate.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-21-2000

Although Saumur is known for its "mousseaux" (sparkling wine vinified from the Chenin Blanc grape), and Saumur-Champigny can be a still white wine, the vast majority of wines bottled under the latter appellation are reds vinified from the Cabernet Franc grape.

Saumur-Champigny is not often seen in the U.S. because importers, retailers and restaurateurs alike think of it as a thin, tart, lean tasting wine. Indeed, in Paris --where it is still highly fashionable (often drunk on-the-rocks) -- it is known, and sold as, the "Beaujolais of the Loire." In the U.S., alas, purveyors would much prefer sell Beaujolais.

I have seen at least a couple of producers of Saumur-Champigny sold in the U.S.; but again, off and on. I would advise you to contact a wine shop in New York known to specialize in French wine -- particularly vin de pays ("country" wines) -- as they might happen to have one.

However, some good advice: Saumur-Champigny is similar, but not usually nearly as good, as other Cabernet Franc-based reds from the Loire. The major appellations (regions) for this style of red are Chinon and Bourgueil, which are definitely easier to find in the U.S.. So if you like the light, soft, aromatic (like minty raspberries) taste of Saumur-Champigny, you would actually be better off with a Chinon or Bourgueil (the latter pronounced "bor-goyl"). In fact, the Chinons of Charles Joguet (he makes a number of cuvees each year) are considered some of the finest pure Cabernet Francs in the world!

- Scoop - 03-22-2000

Since you are posting from NY, head to Garnet (68th & Lexington), which has an excellent selection of Loire reds, including one of my favorites from Samur-Champigny: the 1997 Chateau Hureau Grand Cuvee ($11.99), a deep ruby, juicy Cab Franc with black cherry, smoky tea and (slight) chocolate flavors. It's dry with medium body and acidity, medium-high alcohol for a S-C (13.5%) and soft, chewy tannins, most like a cru Beaujolais. Delicious!

Ask for David Lilley, the resident Loire guru at Garnet, who can give plenty of recommendations for the other Loire appellations mentioned by Randy (Chinon and Bourgueil).

But try the Hureau -- it's a steal at that price! And certainly not the usual Samur-Champigny bistro swill!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 03-22-2000

Thanks Scoop. We will be in that neighborhood this weekend, and will check them out.

- Thomas - 03-22-2000

Also, look for Les Picasses, 1997 Chinon. At about $15, a wonderful product.

- ejg723 - 03-22-2000

Thank you all for your responses. I hav looked at the bottle I had in France (liked it so much I kept the empty bottle) It says "Domain Dubois" 1998 Saumur Champigny, Appellation Saumur-Champigny Controlee mis en bouteille au Domaine par Michel et Jean Claude Dubois"

that is the full label of the bottle - i live on lexington in the 80s so I will check out Garnet - thank you for all the suggestions and I will be tasting each of them in the next few months - does anyone know how i can get the above bottle? (other than returning to France)

Thank you again

- Thomas - 03-23-2000

On 86th, just off of Lexington, is a wine shop run by Josh Wesson (what is its name? somebody help--damn age again).

Anyway, check in there to see if they can help.

- Scoop - 03-23-2000

That would be "Best Cellars". His concept is that there are good wines from all over the world for around $10 or less. He seeks them out, and makes the purchasing process as simple and straight-forward as possible.

It's a good place to start for wines in general, but I don't know if it's a good place to shop for choices from Saumur-Champigny. But it is next door...

Scoop

- Thomas - 03-23-2000

Thanks Scoop.

I have to increase my wine intake, thereby increase my memory capacity, or at least decrease my anxiety over losing some of it....

- ejg723 - 03-24-2000

I've purchased some wines from Best Cellars - nice store for someone like me but they do not have the Saumur - I will try to get to Garnet's this weekend

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2000

Was in Garnet's this past Saturday afternoon. It was a terrific store. Found the 1997 Chateau Hureau Grand Cuvee, Samur-Champigny. The price was a little higher at $15.99. They did not have the Les Picasses Chinon though it was on their computer. The staff recommended 1997 Baudry, Les Croix Boisee, Chinon at $18.99. They are resting in the cellar now. Saw a white Chinon there, which was a first encounter. Is this made with Chenin Blanc which it sounds like, or the other Loire white, Sauvignon Blanc? Bottom line is that Garnet's was a great recommendation Scoop. You can all check them out, and even place orders at: http://www.garnetwine.com/

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-27-2000).]

- Scoop - 03-27-2000

Glad you liked "my store", Innkeeper. Best prices in Manhattan with great selections in almost all categories (only their German section is a little disappointing).

Unless they raised their price overnight, it sounds like you might have purchased Hureau's Cuvee des Fevettes instead(or, you might have been charged for it!), which is about $4 more expensive than the Grand Cuvee. (IMO, there is very little difference between the two -- both are made in a similar style, with maybe a little more restraint in the Fevette. For my money, the Grand Cuvee is the bargain. I hope you weren't overcharged, because I bought the GC just last week for $11.99

As for the white Chinon, my guess would be Chenin Blanc, but I'll consult some sources on that.

Not to belabor Hureau, but they make fabulous Chenin-based whites, too. The 1996 Samur is a huge quince bomb that's nicely off dry (picture it with some duck.) Their Saumur dessert offering is also top-notch, not OTT sweet, with a very nuanced honeysuckle nose ($17.99). Great with a lavender creme brulee.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Scoop - 03-31-2000

Chinon white -- and very little is made -- is from the Chenin Blanc grape, at least according to the Oxford.

Cheers,

Scoop