WineBoard
Taste of the major 4? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Taste of the major 4? (/thread-18902.html)

- Chris84 - 03-23-2004

Hi pardon my asking, as i am really really new to wines. Im sure all of you guys would know that the major 4 red wines are; Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Syrah. I really could use some help here for a thesis paper im writing. Could you guys maybe tell me the difference in their taste or perhaps how they differ from each other? Thanks a million

Chris

- wondersofwine - 03-23-2004

We could give you generalizations such as Merlot is sometimes said to be plummy, Cabernet Sauvignon may exhibit flavors of cassis or black currants, lead pencil, leather or tobacco, Syrah has a spicy component that may remind of black pepper, etc. but really you need to do your own reading and research. Start with some good books on wine such as Andrea Immer's Great Wines Made Simple or The Wine Bible or Wine for Dummies or Hugh Johnson Encyclopedia of Wine. These should be available in a library or bookstore. It sounds like you need more extensive knowledge than we could readily impart.

- Innkeeper - 03-23-2004

Hi Chris, and welcome to the Wine Board. Agree with all of WOW's recommmendations, especially the books. Will throw in that pinot noir usually gives you red cherries on the nose and tongue tip.

- Thomas - 03-23-2004

Chris,

What is your thesis?

- Chris84 - 03-24-2004

My thesis statement is,

There are 4 more commonly drank red wines namely, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Syrah of which all are popular, but they differ in aspects.

chris

- wineguruchgo - 03-24-2004

Chris84,

Another aspect of this Thesis might include how the the same grapes grown in different parts of the world will not taste the same.

Pinot Noir's from Burgandy will taste different from those grown in California which will taste different from those grown in Oregon.

All of this has to do with not only the winemaker and house style, but also the dirt that it's grown in.

Soil in one part of your yard is probably different than soil in another. It's the same in a vineyard.

Just another angle.

- Thomas - 03-25-2004

Chis,

As wineguru's comment points out, your thesis may seem simple to you but it is quite a complex subject with myriad variables.

Without doing some real studying on the subject the only thing you can say with accuracy is that the four grapes (wine) you point out are presently high on popularity.

Don't know for what class you are writing this paper, but if the instructor has any in-depth knowledge about wine, you will be in big trouble without doing serious study--or else, you must write a thesis strictly from a marketing standpoint, which in itself is a big subject, but not as big as the subject of wine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-25-2004).]

- Chris84 - 03-25-2004

Hey thanks for all your comments. i got my hands on red wine for dummies. and i'm gonna concentrate on the taste and aroma of the major 4, food pairing and how the climate and process can affect the taste of the wine. thanks again dudes and dudettes.

Cheers
Chris

- lizardbrains - 04-05-2004

How can you do a thesis on wine and not taste them? I would think you'd be doing tastings every night. Better yet... WHY would you do a thesis on wine and not taste them??

JMHO,
Elizabeth

- pkimc - 04-08-2004

Any idea to get that book online? REd wine for dummies?

- Innkeeper - 04-08-2004

"Red Wines for Dummies" is available from Amazon and other online sources.