WineBoard
Black Muscat? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Black Muscat? (/thread-18889.html)

- texlady - 12-18-2004

Hi, I have not posted for a while. I've been enjoying Rieslings and Gwurtz wines based on the very good advice you guys gave me a few months ago. I was at my little county line package store today (very busy this last weekend before Christmas)and was talked into buying a bottle of Blachon Black Muscat wine. It is a product of France, light rose in color, 11% alcohol, and described on the label as a rose table wine. I've not been able to find anything about Blachon on the web other than references to a Roger Blachon but my labal doesn't say anything more than the one word Blachon and who the distributor is. It only costs $6.99 so if it is swill I have not lost too much. Anyone aware of Blachon Black Muscat?

- Bucko - 12-18-2004

Never heard of them ...

- wondersofwine - 12-20-2004

Quady, a California producer, makes a wine from the Black Muscat grape. I have not tried it and it is probably more expensive than the one you found. Try the Blachon and report back how you liked it.

- Zinner - 12-20-2004

The wines I have had from Black Muscat have been dessert wines. The Quady Elysium is one of the easiest to find, I'd think, and yummy stuff. Good with chocolate.

There are several wineries that make Black Muscat, but the ones I see more often are American or Australian. The Blachon one is not familiar, but at the price, why not open it and report back to us what you find?

- wineguruchgo - 12-21-2004

I agree with Zinner. If you like sweeter wines I think you will definately like the black muscat. I would definately open it Christmas Eve or Night and serve it with dessert.

Unlike the rieslings and Gewurtz that you are used to this one is going to have a little more acid and tannin than you are used to. Yet, with dessert, those characteristics should be lessened.

Sorry I can't help you more.

- Zinner - 12-21-2004

Turned up a newsletter from Quady. They have a competition every year in which chefs compete to pair one of the wines with desserts, entrees or appetizers. Although the newsletter says that Elysium is usually paired with desserts, this time the chefs did entrees and the winner was a decadent squab and foie gras concoction.

Perhaps their notes about Elysium may give you an idea of black muscat:

"Our Black Muscat Elysium is a deep, plummy indulgence with a rose-like aroma and litchi-like flavor(achieved when ripened to 25 degrees brix). These decadent characteristics, akin to falling into a heavenly rose garden, led us to name the wine Elysium, Greek for heaven. Black Muscat is known in Europe as the table grape varietal, Muscat Hamburg, one of the very few black-skinned muscats. Elysium is fortified in the traditional dessert wine style and usually accompanies or replaces dessert. One winery favorite is pouring the wine onto vanilla ice cream. Elysium is also an exceptional accompaniment to dark chocolate, blue cheeses and candlelight. In addition, Elysium makes a wonderful dark partner to rich savory dishes such as pork or foie gras."

My own favorite experience was one year when Andrew Quady was at the Florida Winefest and Auction and I had the Elysium with a rich dark chocolate and raspberry cake. Yum!

- texlady - 01-31-2005

You all were so nice to reply when I posed my question about black muscat and here I have not responded about my experience with the Blachon Black Muscat wine. I did enjoy it. I'm not at all adept at describing the tastes of wine. My impression of this one was sweetness but not as sweet as muscat canelli wines I have had. I liked it okay but I probably will not buy it again. I had just finished a bottle of Quady Red Electra....yummmmm....so the Blachon in no way could compare to the Quady. Maybe I should give it another chance.