WineBoard
Sweet Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sweet Wines (/thread-18873.html)

- MsJigga - 03-07-2005

Im looking for a wine that is sweet not bitter. I prefer white wines but i would like one that has a sweet taste or even a fruity taste, I hate bitter tasting wine. Can you help??

- wineguruchgo - 03-07-2005

Hi MsJigga,

Welcome to the wineboard!

I would go to a local wine store (not grocery store) and ask them about their German wines. I'm sure you will like these wines a lot and they won't cost you an arm or leg. Most of these wines will be white and won't be bitter.

This part of my post was copied from a post made a day or two ago on the subject of sweet whites.

"I would also suggest trying white wines--German Riesling at the Spatlese or Auslese level (Spatlese refers to grapes picked later, therefore more ripe and sweet; Auslese refers to grapes specially selected and even riper). 2003 was a very hot summer in Europe so the 2003 German wines may have more ripeness and sweetness than a normal vintage. Look for J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese or an Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese or Auslese wine . The Auslese will cost more than the Spatlese from the same producer/vineyard. You might also try a French white wine, Vouvray, made from the Chenin Blanc grape. Many Vouvrays are made with some sweetness. Some California and Washington wineries make a late harvest Riesling. These can be expensive but may be available by the half bottle. Hope this helps."

- rchhchan - 03-07-2005

Hi
MsJigga
I must say we are considered to be oddballs because sweet wines seem to be out of fashion. The wind of change has brought the whole world going for the bone-dry style since 1970. The king of whites is the extremely "bitter" Chardonnay. People either drink it or the very sweet dessert wine like the French Sauternes and nothing in between. The truth is some of the low alcohol, fruity, mildly sweet, refreshing, well balanced wines are amongst the tastiest in the world. The German emphasis is aroma, finesse and taste. The others e.g. French, Australian are more into power and strength. Some of the top German wines:
Riesling Spatlese or Auslese by names like Robert Weil, Gunderloch, Fritz Haag, Dr. Lossen, Franz Kunslter and those mentioned by wineguruchgo are great as well. Believe me, when it comes to spicy Asian cuisine like our HOT Singapore chili crabs, nothing comes close to a good bottle of the humble German Riesling. It can really put out the fire in your mouth.
Cheers
Ray (Singapore)

- cheapwine - 03-07-2005

I would go for Lost Vineyards Portuguese White Table Wine. Sweeter and fruity, slightly bubbly.

- ladykara - 03-15-2005

Hello,

I'm 23, and very picky about alcohol aftertastes. I am constantly searching for new wines to try, because I still have not found one that I can still handle after half the glass. I start to really notice the alcohol, I THINK, or maybe it's just a bitter taste. I'm not really sure. I'm afraid to buy a pricey wine because of this even though they would probably be a better quality. The closest I've come to liking a wine is the Mogen David Concord (yeah, it's way cheap). I think I'm more of a sweet wine person, but I tried a Reisling and I definitely did not like that. I definitely do NOT like dry wines. Can anyone help me, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

- TheEngineer - 03-16-2005

I think that you may want to give a GERMAN Riesling another try as many rieslings are often on the dryer side. Take a look again at wineguruchgo answer and you will find two key phrases

Riesling Spatlese
Riesling Auslese

These will definitely be on the sweeter side especially if you look for the 2003 release.

Otherwise sweet wines that you should look for are Canadian Icewines that come in half bottles. My female friends who do not like wine always end up liking these. They are VERY SWEET with very little to none alcohol aftertaste. Pricey and hard to find, they are nonetheless worthwhile to search for. The other wine is what they call a late harvest Riesling or Vidal. These will be less sweet compared to the icewines but still super sweet compared to dry wines.

Also you can try Sauternes or muscadelle dessert wines.......maybe that is the general classification to look for dessert wines, then start from there. Good luck!

- ladykara - 03-16-2005

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it!

- lovsweetwine - 07-22-2006

I like sweet white wines too. Here's two sweet white wines I like from California wineries - Moscato from Sutter Home or Moscato D'Oro from Robert Mondavi. I have had German Spatlese and Reisling and find the Moscato to be more mellow. You should be able to find these at supermarkets or at Trader Joe's.

- JBworldwide - 07-25-2006

so i love scrapona -- it's an italian wine, bubbly and sweet. =)