WineBoard
Need sage advice! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need sage advice! (/thread-18807.html)

- jas2002 - 10-17-2002

Mother needs advice about what wines to give her son for Xmas to start his wine cellar; son likes both red & whites. Son's 8th wedding anniversary is 12/23 (1994 was a busy end of the year!)and I would love to give him and his wife a 'special' bottle of wine which will age well. Is there something he could stash away and save for a future anniversary? Anything which would actually be even better on his 10th? 15th? 20th? Any help anyone can provide will be most welcome... otherwise I will be left to my own totally inept decisions (do they still make Annie Green Springs? LOL!) Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

- winoweenie - 10-17-2002

Hi jas2002 and welcome to the board. Living in S.F. you have many options for wine buying. 1994 was one of the 5 greatest vintages in Californias history. My personal choices would be wines from 94 instead of 93.
If you must have 93s post and I'll make some reccommendations. If you go with the 94 I strongly reccommend the Phelps Insignia, Chateau Montelena, Caymus Special Selection, Beaulieu George de Latour, or Mondavi Reserve in the order listed. All of these fine bottlings will take your lucky sucker to the 20th anniversary with no problem IF he has good storage. If you have problems finding these, post and I'll give you specific shops. WW

- Bucko - 10-17-2002

Sage advice -- that is Pennzey's Spices territory, eh?

"94 I strongly reccommend the Phelps Insignia, Chateau Montelena, Caymus Special Selection, Beaulieu George de Latour, or Mondavi Reserve in the order listed."

I'd go along with the Phelps, Montelena and Mondavi.

- Kcwhippet - 10-18-2002

Got you hooked on Penzey's, Bucko?

- winoweenie - 10-18-2002

Just got the 2002 Xmas catalogue. Will study over the week-end. What's with the Penzys' territory and S.F. link? I allas thunk them were cheeseheads that sorted the flavors. WW

- Bucko - 10-18-2002

We buy nothing else these days. Great stuff and prices.

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2002

Smear one side of your pork chops with OO and their Pork Chop Seasoning and put that side down on the grillpan. Then smear the other side with OO and their Bay Leaf Seasoning. Finish cooking, serve, and pop the pinot.

- jas2002 - 10-18-2002

First of all thanks to WW for the info. Hope this isn't a dumb question, but are you recommending any type of wine from those vintners for that year?94's might be difficult to find, and anyway, I would like some recommendations for more recent vintages. What are the best for this year?I am planning on giving my son at least a case for Xmas and his anniversary - need more ideas! And Bucko, thanks for the info and the tip off to this spice company - I gotta look into it. And I AM sage in many ways, being somewhat 'mature.' Also, am looking for a wine guide to through in with the gift. Recommendations???? Thanks again, all.

- jas2002 - 10-18-2002

Just read my last msg. Change 'through' to 'throw' - gawd, I was having a 'gray moment.' (Maybe I can blame it on one of my cats who jumped into my lap while I was typing - YEAH! THAT is my story and I am sticking to it.

- winoweenie - 10-18-2002

Sorry Las2002 but was thinking you wanted the
year of the marriage for the wine gift. If you don't want that kind of expenditure, there are some killer 99s' available that have been posted on the cab thread. I'm convinced that the Pine Ridge 99 Rutherford district at under 30 bucks a clatter is the outstanding bottle on the market. This hummer will take the young'uns the parameters you've outlined.WW Or if you want to spend some major bucks change the number from 94 to 99 and it'll still be some major credit card damage. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- jas2002 - 10-18-2002

WW- Yes, you were right! I wanted the anniversay gift to be from their year of marriage; but to begin stocking my son's wine cellar (I think the temp should be fine, it is in the basement under the stairs) I want to give him a variety of wines to start his collection. So am thinking of some recent vintages, etc. Yeah, I love him and want to put together a 'special' xmas gift. OK, what 94 wine which would age nicely until at least his 20th anniversary (or longer, like 25th)would you recommend? I want this to be special! The rest of the wine can be more contemporary, something he can hold onto, then drink later in life. But also a few whites. Thanks for your help! What about a recommendation for a wine guide????? LOL!

- winoweenie - 10-19-2002

Jas2002. Use the 1st post as your guide for great wines that will take your son well past the designated time-frame. As much as I hate to reccommended it, the Wine Spectator for a rag is fairly helpful. If you're looking for a book to accquiaint you to the maze of wine knowledge I think all on the board thoroughly reccommend " Wine for Dummies ". This is either the best, or close, to the most informative in the "Dummies" series.If you can't find what you want in SF call 1-800-331-3005 to Hi Time Wine Cellars. They normally have lots of selections in older Calif and Bordeaux wines. Dee Vine Wines at 1-877-389-9463 on the Embarcadero,
Premier Cru at 510-655-6691 in Oakland,Fine Wines International at 866-600-9463 at pier 19, or Red Carpet Wine at 800-339-0609 are a few of the good retailers in your area.WW Don't give advice on SWs' so someone else can chime in.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 10-19-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 10-22-2002

2001 is an excellent vintage for German wines. I suggest some Mosel-Saar-Ruwer wines at different levels-Kabinett, Spatlese, and Auslese from perhaps Wehlener Sonnenuhr or Urziger Wurzgarten or Ockfener Bockstein. J.J. Prum, Christoffel, and Willy Haag are among the top producers. For variety, maybe Muller-Catoir Mandelring Scheurebe (a hybrid grape only partly Riesling). Kurt Darting is another German producer developing a following in the States or Leitz (Rheingau wines). Eiswein or Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese (TBA) are expensive dessert wines from Germany and Austria or elsewhere that can be delicious now or after twenty years.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-22-2002).]