WineBoard
REALLY Beginning! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: REALLY Beginning! (/thread-18725.html)

- Farmalance - 02-17-2004

Hi everyone from the depths of Tokyo.
I own 33acres of lightish land near the foothills of Christchurch in NZ. We have very dry summers and very cold winters - sunshine hours unknown. At present it runs a few weaners for fattening.The plan is to return in a couple of years to enjoy my spot, and am scheming my dream for a few vines, some saffron, hazelnuts etc. There are a few small vine plantings lower down the plain and olives do well in the area. A few questions if I may -
1. Is 10acres a reasonably sized area for owner operator management.
2. What special considerations would I need to look to if I wanted to grow for red wine (merlot a fav.)
3. What time frames on average from first plantings to first harvest/bottling.
4. Are establishment costs astronomical.

Thanks for your input.
Regards
Lance

- winoweenie - 02-17-2004

Hi Farmalance and welcome to the board. We have some knowledgeable ex-winemakers on the board who can give you lots of pertinant advice. Not sure about the variations in NZ horticulture vs. Amaerican but most of the winery owners I know spent a lot of money up front and from planing to 1st harvest was a variable of from 2 years to 4 years. Good luck and keep us posted. WW

- Thomas - 02-17-2004

Farmalance,

1.An acre should provide 3 to 4 tons of grapes--it can do more, but then quality suffers.

Each ton produces about 150 gallons of juice; from there, you can calculate the approximate wine production in gallons, considering loss for rackings.

2.Climate and soil type--not special considerations but essential to know for any grape variety. Merlot is an early ripening grape, relative to Cabernet Sauvignon.

3.Three to four years.

4.Without a doubt!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-17-2004).]

- Tastevin - 02-18-2004

Hello Farmalance.
If you're serious about this venture I suggest you contact -
Robert Lindsay
Vineyard Solutions Ltd.
PO Box 6221
Upper Riccarton
Christchurch
email: rlindsay@slingshot.co.nz

Good luck.
T.

- Farmalance - 02-18-2004

WOW!!
Thanks guys for your input. How astounding to get this global advice and help. It sure makes me feel a lot more supported in getting going.
Wines here in Japan are surprisingly cheap. heaps of French imports. A nice Merlot from Italy (not that my palate is particularly cultured!) with a label that says Le Uve, Merlot, Delle Venezie, Indacazione Geografica Tipica, Friulvini. Can you translate for me?
Thanks a lot for the ChCh contact. Will do.
Cheers
Lance

- Thomas - 02-19-2004

Proposed translation:

the grape is merlot, of the Venezia region, and the wine is typical for such wines in that region (it is not a DOC wine). Friulvini is likely the producer.

- Tastevin - 02-19-2004

Hello Farmalance.
Just to add to Foodie's response to your Italian wine question, Friulvini is the producer. In fact, it is a cooperative.
T.