WineBoard
Santa Barbara, California--overlooked?! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Santa Barbara, California--overlooked?! (/thread-18714.html)

- pergamum - 07-10-2000

Hey Gang! I'm back. The life of a student is tumultuous at best!
Just tried a wine this weekend that I must comment on--Meridian Pinot Noir '97. I paid $7.00 per glass at a restaurant (which is ludicrous for what is, at the very most, a $20 bottle of wine); nevertheless, I was extremely impressed. Smooth, subtle, and complex; that hint of plumbs in the nose was exquisite! Goes great with a nice salmon.
My question: Why the hell is Santa Barbara rarely mentioned in the annals of the wine drinking world? Or perhaps I'm not reading enough!?

- Scoop - 07-10-2000

The Santa Barbara/Santa Ynes region has been reported on quite a bit in the wine press -- I recall a large spread in the WS last year, and Frank Prial (NYT) has sung its virtues
-- and it's no secret that it is producing some excellent wines, especially Pinot Noir, but also Syrah, Chardonnay and Viognier.

Meridan is truly a solid, consistent producer from the area, and a good source of value. But I think you can find that 1997 Pinot for a little less than $20.00.

Cheers,

Scoop

- winoweenie - 07-10-2000

Per and Scoop, I think most of the press refers to the Santa B and up area as the Central Coast and they have a tremendous amount of press in regards to their total production. San Luis Opisbo, Paso Robles, Greenfield, have some of the best producers of Burgandy Varietals in Calif. You probably didn`t associate Santa Barbs mit` `da group.Byron, Qupe, plus Mondavis many holdings and Caymus venture there ensures that they`ll make los of juice from the area. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 07-11-2000

Per, Had to cut the answer short as some guests arrived . Going forward; Meridian is a member of the Beringer Wine Estate family. They sent IMHO one of Napas, or for that matter Calif, best winemakers to oversee production. Chuck Ortman. Don`t remember exact production but is huge. Make a fine Chard and Syrah. Other Central Coast vintners that make wonderful juice are Jim Clendenen of Au Bon Climat ( One of the pioneers in the area ), Dick Sanford ( No, Foodie not of Sanford and Sons ) Who makes fine Burgandian varietals,Josh Jensen Calera Winery,and as stated before large operations owned by Mondavi, Caymus, and also Kendall-Jackson. So these are just a few making super-stuff that stretches from Santa Barbara to just So of San Fransisco. You`ve probably enjoyed lots of Central Coast wines without realizing it. There`s also a winery in down-town Santa Barbara rite off the beach named, suprisingly," TaTa" Santa Barbara Winery. If you ever get the chance drive 101 up the coast. You`ll pass thru it all. Winoweenie

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-11-2000).]

- winoweenie - 07-11-2000

O.K.I`m a horrible Typist.WW